Keep in mind that any form of scaling will also introduce some artifacts, as it's not a simple doubling of pixels in one direction. Back in the Series 1 and Series 2 era, anamorphic solutions for common height screens did make sense economically. If it makes economic sense to do anamorphic right now in OP's situation is hard to judge and probably will mostly depend on what an anamorphic attachment will cost and how long he's going to keep his DP4K around.
The light efficiency, obviously is real, it's simple physics: You're using about 20% more of your DMD surfaces.
The arguments about prime lens movements are real, the constant movements will have effect on focus. I'm afraid hard physical stops are a practical impossibility. Christie CineLife+ projectors do have automatic focus and other automatic calibration features, but I've not used them until now, so I don't know how well they perform in real life. Then again, constant recalibration of professional projection equipment is a simple fact of life.
IMAX could use "non-square pixels" in their DCPs to maximize attainable resolution, but sadly, they don't. While IMAX isn't beholden to the DCI standard for their own formats, DCI itself explicitly forbids non-square pixels in the delivery format, so we'll never get a "true anamorphic" scope format in DCI.
What's somehow sad is that the DLP-based 1.3K pre-DCI projectors came with anamorphic lenses for scope presentations, but the anamorphic lenses for scope, which were a fact-of-life in the 35mm age, were left on the chopping block for the final specifications. I'm pretty sure that decision was being made to make it easier for manufacturers to enter the DCI market. Automatic zoom lenses weren't anything special on digital projectors, but swapping lenses in-flight certainly was...
The light efficiency, obviously is real, it's simple physics: You're using about 20% more of your DMD surfaces.
The arguments about prime lens movements are real, the constant movements will have effect on focus. I'm afraid hard physical stops are a practical impossibility. Christie CineLife+ projectors do have automatic focus and other automatic calibration features, but I've not used them until now, so I don't know how well they perform in real life. Then again, constant recalibration of professional projection equipment is a simple fact of life.
IMAX could use "non-square pixels" in their DCPs to maximize attainable resolution, but sadly, they don't. While IMAX isn't beholden to the DCI standard for their own formats, DCI itself explicitly forbids non-square pixels in the delivery format, so we'll never get a "true anamorphic" scope format in DCI.
What's somehow sad is that the DLP-based 1.3K pre-DCI projectors came with anamorphic lenses for scope presentations, but the anamorphic lenses for scope, which were a fact-of-life in the 35mm age, were left on the chopping block for the final specifications. I'm pretty sure that decision was being made to make it easier for manufacturers to enter the DCI market. Automatic zoom lenses weren't anything special on digital projectors, but swapping lenses in-flight certainly was...

Comment