ICP and DeOxit story

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Christos Gartaganis
    Film Handler
    • Sep 2021
    • 53
    • Athens Greece

    #16
    Leo, is there any advantage of using the Deoxit Gold for cleaning the ICP edge connectors compared to the classic D5 spray ?

    Comment

    • Ryan Gallagher
      Film God
      • Nov 2022
      • 2855
      • Austin, Texas, USA

      #17
      maybe ya gotta start lugging around an ultrasonic cleaner now too?

      Comment

      • Ryan Gallagher
        Film God
        • Nov 2022
        • 2855
        • Austin, Texas, USA

        #18
        Originally posted by Christos Gartaganis
        Leo, is there any advantage of using the Deoxit Gold for cleaning the ICP edge connectors compared to the classic D5 spray ?
        marketing jargon will explain that D5 is for base metals. And Gold is specifically forumulated for gold contacts.

        Comment

        • Marco Giustini
          Film God
          • Jan 2020
          • 1169
          • Reading, UK

          #19
          I have a similar DeOxit story myself - as I said I sourced some D5 and Gold DeOxit to make sure my old "vintage" computer was as reliable as possible.

          So I cleaned the fingers on the cards with soaked cotton buds (D5 first - waiting time - Gold then - waiting time). Then flushed the PCI slots with isopropyl + compressed air to dislodge. Then D5, then gold. Waiting time.

          I plugged the cards, turned on and... cards not being seen.

          Turned off, re-seated the cards, turned on: it worked. ?

          It really felt I wasted my money (£50 roughly) vs my favourite lubricated contact cleaner I buy here in the UK - formerly Servisol S10, not Kontakt S10 which is about £10

          The D5 is definitely much more lubricated than the S10.

          Comment

          • Steve Guttag
            Film God
            • Jan 2020
            • 3777
            • Annapolis, MD

            #20
            With DeOxit, the less-is-more philosophy applies. I normally just spray a wipe with it and lightly apply. This case was the exception to the rule...where I ended up using more and being more aggressive with the wiping. As to gold v standard...I would say that G5 is more likely to get your Marco's scenario of it not working, in my experience. I don't know if there is real benefit to it on gold contacts or not. They claim it does but I can't claim to have done any exhaustive study. I, for the most part, just use D5, at this point. The G100 was an experiment and due to its nature, always has to be wiped off (it's 100% juice). Things work with it so I'll keep it for special situations like this past one but again, D5 is my go-to for cards.

            Comment

            • Marcel Birgelen
              Film God
              • Jan 2020
              • 3619
              • Maastricht, NL

              #21
              Originally posted by Marco Giustini
              It really felt I wasted my money (£50 roughly) vs my favourite lubricated contact cleaner I buy here in the UK - formerly Servisol S10, not Kontakt S10 which is about £10
              I've been using Kontakt 60 for a while now and never had any complaints, after I ran out od DeOxit D5 and only could order it online. It's hard to judge on my own if it performs as good as DeOxit D5, but I've never had any complaints. When stuff didn't work after applying it, it usually wasn't because of bad contact.

              Comment

              • Marco Giustini
                Film God
                • Jan 2020
                • 1169
                • Reading, UK

                #22
                I also have Kontakt 60 but my understanding is that it's supposed to be rinsed after use and 61 should be applied - it's very strong apparently and might end up corroding the part itself. Take a look at the datasheet, there is a very faint mention about that!

                That's why I ended up using Super 10.

                I'll see how De-Oxit works and will decide if to re-order or not. I can say Kontakt 10 has worked in the past where the generic dry cleaner did not. But yesterday's experience told me that D5 and G5 might not be vastly superior to Kontakt Super 10 ?

                (Kontakt Super 10 can be found here in the UK for £10, 200ml. D5 is £23 for 140ml and G5 is £30 for 140ml)

                SCR-20260709-sjwb.png

                Comment

                • Marcel Birgelen
                  Film God
                  • Jan 2020
                  • 3619
                  • Maastricht, NL

                  #23
                  Yeah, the OFFICIAL route is 60 -> WL -> 61...

                  It will probably leave more residue than DeOxit D5, but it's a good idea to rinse your contacts anyway, even if it's just to remove any residue that couldn't evaporate, like the now bound oxides. The KONTAKT 6I I usually don't apply. That's supposed to be a preservative to avoid oxidation in the future. Since it leaves a small residue itself, I usually don't apply, unless we're in an aggressive environment, like a sea-side climate.

                  Comment

                  Working...