Barco 23b - error code 5082

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Allan Barnes
    Pro Film Handler
    • Jan 2020
    • 138
    • GRAND BEND, ONTARIO, CANADA

    #1

    Barco 23b - error code 5082

    I am in the final stages of fixing this BARCO 23B projector SUDDENLY the CATHODE LAMP FAN dies. (It was working yesterday) Out comes the multi-meter and strange it is getting 24volts of DC power / I swap for the exact spare fan ... still dead.

    I don't want to follow the small 4 electric line into the projector... maybe there is a micro switch or gauge to measure the speed of the fan???

    ****the RED LED FOR A HARDWARE FLASHES EVERY 10-15 SECONDS***

    Does any have an idea how to fix this? Or what is wrong.
  • Marcel Birgelen
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 3619
    • Maastricht, NL

    #2
    Does it actually turn or is it, maybe, blocked by something? The "third" wire in the 4-wire FAN is being used as "tachometer". If the wiring is OK, the fan is turning, then the next possible culprit is the Fan Controller board... I'd start by just reseating it in the card cage, cleaning the contacts and if that doesn't help, the board is likely the culprit.

    Comment

    • Rick Cohen
      Film Handler
      • Jan 2020
      • 93
      • Lockport, New York

      #3
      If you have multiple Barco projectors, the best way to troubleshoot is to swap components. Swap the Fan Controller Board, swap the lamp house. Eliminate possible causes until you pinpoint the actual cause.

      Comment

      • Leo Enticknap
        Film God
        • Jan 2020
        • 3572
        • Loma Linda, CA

        #4
        Service manual:

        image.png​

        Comment

        • Allan Barnes
          Pro Film Handler
          • Jan 2020
          • 138
          • GRAND BEND, ONTARIO, CANADA

          #5
          FINAL RESULT - FAN CONTROL CARD was the problem. And I had a spare card. Moving forward

          LEO, THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!

          Comment

          • Leo Enticknap
            Film God
            • Jan 2020
            • 3572
            • Loma Linda, CA

            #6
            Interesting that a bad FCB could cause just one fan to fail. Presumably there are chips or FPGAs on the board that control and monitor each fan individually (and the pump), and just one of them has kicked the bucket.

            Comment

            • Marcel Birgelen
              Film God
              • Jan 2020
              • 3619
              • Maastricht, NL

              #7
              Originally posted by Leo Enticknap
              Interesting that a bad FCB could cause just one fan to fail. Presumably there are chips or FPGAs on the board that control and monitor each fan individually (and the pump), and just one of them has kicked the bucket.
              You don't know if it was the fan that failed, do you? Maybe the fan he swapped was perfectly fine.

              For example, the gate drivers for the fans are directly on the FCB, so for example, if one of those gates failed, the story makes perfect sense.

              Also, I have seen those gate drivers fail due to faulty equipment. If you keep overheating/over-driving a motor with one of them, they will eventually fail. I've had this happen in something I "engineered" myself, where a motor with a damaged coil winding caused way more load on the IC than anticipated and while the "rig" worked well for a while, eventually the gate on that IC burned out. I replaced it with a new IC, only to have it fail again a few weeks later.

              Interestingly, if you cause a short, they will go in self-protect mode, but wearing them out over time, is apparently still very much possible.

              Comment

              • Leo Enticknap
                Film God
                • Jan 2020
                • 3572
                • Loma Linda, CA

                #8
                Imprecise wording - sorry. By "cause just one fan to fail" I meant fail to operate, not that the fan itself was damaged/broken. The same fan driven by a good FCB would work.

                Comment

                Working...