Small Victories (CP2220 ILS zoom recalibration)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Ryan Gallagher
    Film God
    • Nov 2022
    • 2855
    • Austin, Texas, USA

    #1

    Small Victories (CP2220 ILS zoom recalibration)

    Our small venue that I now find myself spending more time in got a working zoom ILS motor last festival finally.

    Since then it had covered our needs... until we got to summer classic films, where it became apparent the range it was offering us was not the full range, we could not do F133 or F137 any justice.

    With an abundance of caution and a tech on the phone, today I managed to investigate and work our way towards asking it to do a full recalibration after verifying it was error free (or more accurately we could clear an ILS sensor error) and unlikely to run too far off the toothed part of the lens ring.

    It was a learning opportunity even for our support (who had done the motor install). Everyone was a little too gun shy about asking it to do a "full calibration" in the lens setup, understandably because if something goes horribly wrong and you aren't there in person it can be a chore to fix in a phone call. But in the end that was what fixed our software limits and gave us access to the whole zoom range.

    Then 2 hours redoing all my myriad of formats because we are an arthouse/festival venue.

    But got there in the end. "Shadow of a Doubt" will look great tomorrow.

    I wish I had the tools myself to shoot colors and brightness... cause no doubt those are affected slightly due to the zoom changes... but not a ton, lens is probably close to where it was on all formats except the ones we could not hit, just the software numbers are different now. But this room only ever had one light file previously (and it now has at least 3, without measurement, just tried to make all the zoomier formats match our scope by eye, which was mostly likely the calibrated one last festival).

    Now if we just didn't have a roll down non-perforated 4:3 screen with no masking! lol
  • Marco Giustini
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 1168
    • Reading, UK

    #2
    How did it feel when the ILS produced itself into the "grinding of death" noise when it resets itself? The very first ILS I installed made me jump! I couldn't believe it was its intended behaviour! ?

    Comment

    • Ryan Gallagher
      Film God
      • Nov 2022
      • 2855
      • Austin, Texas, USA

      #3
      Originally posted by Marco Giustini
      How did it feel when the ILS produced itself into the "grinding of death" noise when it resets itself? The very first ILS I installed made me jump! I couldn't believe it was its intended behaviour! ?
      Yeah right. I was next to it, luckily ours only bumped up against the end of the teeth a couple pushes before it correctly read that to be a new limit to set.

      There was plenty of grinding in prior efforts before we got to that point (trying quick reset from various manual lens positions), nothing changed the software range numbers until we did the full calibrate.​

      Comment

      Working...