Just completed the annual maintenance "C" checklist on a DP2K-19B. While doing it, I found that the level in the coolant tank was only just above the minimum mark. I've spent the last hour and a half trying to figure out why, with no success. Unless I'm missing something, the loss can only have been caused by leakage or evaporation.
This isn't an unknown quantity projector that might have gone for years without a coolant flush. It's in the theater of one our service contract customers, and I've been looking after it since 2017. It has had coolant flushes and refills every year without fail, and pump replacements when maintenance D comes due (the last was in 2023; the next will be due next year).
Obviously it's important to find out how and why the coolant loss happened, because if any leaks onto a formatter, that's a $15K light engine buggered.
There is no sign of any telltale stains to indicate leakage around any of the hose clamps, or in fact anywhere at all. I even removed the light engine and the radiator/pump/fan assembly from the projector, just in case some coolant had leaked and pooled in a sadistically invisible location. Nothing. Totally clean and dry. While I had that assembly out, I turned it upside down, to invert the tank to check for leakage out of the cap. Not a drip. The gasket in the tank cap looks good to me, too. I fail to see how any coolant could have evaporated out of the tank, either. The cap wasn't loose when I first noticed the low level. Maintenance A and B are done by site staff, and they tell me that no-one had noticed a low coolant tank level before I did.
Has anyone experienced this before, and can suggest somewhere to look that I didn't? Many thanks in advance.
This isn't an unknown quantity projector that might have gone for years without a coolant flush. It's in the theater of one our service contract customers, and I've been looking after it since 2017. It has had coolant flushes and refills every year without fail, and pump replacements when maintenance D comes due (the last was in 2023; the next will be due next year).
Obviously it's important to find out how and why the coolant loss happened, because if any leaks onto a formatter, that's a $15K light engine buggered.
There is no sign of any telltale stains to indicate leakage around any of the hose clamps, or in fact anywhere at all. I even removed the light engine and the radiator/pump/fan assembly from the projector, just in case some coolant had leaked and pooled in a sadistically invisible location. Nothing. Totally clean and dry. While I had that assembly out, I turned it upside down, to invert the tank to check for leakage out of the cap. Not a drip. The gasket in the tank cap looks good to me, too. I fail to see how any coolant could have evaporated out of the tank, either. The cap wasn't loose when I first noticed the low level. Maintenance A and B are done by site staff, and they tell me that no-one had noticed a low coolant tank level before I did.
Has anyone experienced this before, and can suggest somewhere to look that I didn't? Many thanks in advance.
Comment