Douser on NEC NC1200C Not Opening

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Mike Reed
    Film Handler
    • Dec 2023
    • 82
    • Clearfield PA

    #16
    Originally posted by Steve Guttag
    Leo...I was only pointing out how one could physically MOVE the douser...not necessarily remove it. I've had people cut the brown or white wire on a Barco (that one can usually see hanging down) to keep the dowser from closing and then push it up and out of the way. On the NEC? Hopefully, just pushing it up will be sufficient.

    As to the error...watch out...NEC tamper switches are notably prone to having a bad contact. Also, sometimes you need more than the Advanced PW to clear a tamper.
    If I need more than service entry password im unaware of that to get my projector back up. I fixed the douser and created another problem I cant fix or have the parts to fix. The tamper error is wild. Im just trying to show a movie and will be down for days because of this switch seemingly going bad randomly

    Comment

    • Jason Sharp
      Film Handler
      • Apr 2022
      • 43
      • Denver, Colorado, USA

      #17
      Did you take off the lens service panel when working on the douser? That cover also has a tamper switch. Try reseating that cover as well.

      Comment

      • Mike Reed
        Film Handler
        • Dec 2023
        • 82
        • Clearfield PA

        #18
        Originally posted by Jason Sharp
        Did you take off the lens service panel when working on the douser? That cover also has a tamper switch. Try reseating that cover as well.
        I did not. I only took off the 2 side panels and the top panel. I did not mess with the lens service panel.

        Comment

        • Leo Enticknap
          Film God
          • Jan 2020
          • 3572
          • Loma Linda, CA

          #19
          Are you getting a service door tamper, a marriage tamper, or both?

          If you have a service door tamper, you should see error "486: Service Door Tamper (X)". X corresponds to the number below to tell you which switch it thinks is open.



          image.png​
          There are lugs on the side panels that protrude into a recess to push the switch lever down. You to have to be careful when aligning the panels to seat them: sometimes I've had the lug not land in the right place and fail to push the switch.

          If the 486 error is the only error you see, then there is no issue with the IMB marriage, and ensuring that the panels are correctly seated and then entering the installation mode code on the keypad should clear it. If it doesn't, then either there is a panel seating problem or a tamper detect switch has physically gone bad. However, if doing that cleared the error 486, but you also see error 482 (physical marriage tamper) and 484 (marriage not active), you will need to re-marry the IMB as well. If you don't know the username and password to do this, I'm afraid that you'd need to contact Sharp technical support (sharpav-cinemasupport [at] sharpusa.com), because those of us who have done the training and been given this information signed a NDA which prevents us from posting it here - sorry.

          Comment

          • Mike Reed
            Film Handler
            • Dec 2023
            • 82
            • Clearfield PA

            #20
            Originally posted by Leo Enticknap
            Are you getting a service door tamper, a marriage tamper, or both?

            If you have a service door tamper, you should see error "486: Service Door Tamper (X)". X corresponds to the number below to tell you which switch it thinks is open.



            image.png​
            There are lugs on the side panels that protrude into a recess to push the switch lever down. You to have to be careful when aligning the panels to seat them: sometimes I've had the lug not land in the right place and fail to push the switch.

            If the 486 error is the only error you see, then there is no issue with the IMB marriage, and ensuring that the panels are correctly seated and then entering the installation mode code on the keypad should clear it. If it doesn't, then either there is a panel seating problem or a tamper detect switch has physically gone bad. However, if doing that cleared the error 486, but you also see error 482 (physical marriage tamper) and 484 (marriage not active), you will need to re-marry the IMB as .


            so the only Error is error code 586. There is no corresponding number I was told about a corresponding number after the error that would tell me which one was the fault but there is no number that I see past the error code. I do not see the number past the code on the side of the projector or in the DCC companion app. Not sure if that means my projector is just older or not? I do not have the front of the projector off just the two side panels. I did depress those side panel switches all the way and it still throws the code and I’m not able to clear it even with the service code in service mode. I find it hard to believe that one of these tamper switches went bad the first time I ever pulled off the side panel of this projector. But crazier things have happened.

            Comment

            • Jason Sharp
              Film Handler
              • Apr 2022
              • 43
              • Denver, Colorado, USA

              #21
              Which IMB are you using? Can you log in to its interface and see what errors it may be reporting?

              Comment

              • Leo Enticknap
                Film God
                • Jan 2020
                • 3572
                • Loma Linda, CA

                #22
                I was going by the Series 2 training slides, which state that 486 is a service door tamper, and 482 + 484 are IMB marriage errors. According to the error lookup for the NC1200 specifically, 486 is an Enigma problem:

                image.png​

                586 is the actual door tamper:

                image.png​

                I'm wondering if removing the card cage side panel disturbed the tamper switch on the option slot holding the Enigma board enough to trigger it. Maybe contact clean and reseat that board? You will need to re-marry the Enigma after doing that, though, if you need to use it.

                One other thought: are you actually using the HD-SDI / Enigma board to play DCPs from a legacy rack server, or are you using an IMB or IMS in the other option slot to play movies? If the latter, you might be able to play. As long as there is no tamper or marriage error affecting the other option slot, it should work, even if the Enigma decrypter is in a tamper/broken marriage condition.

                Originally posted by Mike Reed
                I find it hard to believe that one of these tamper switches went bad the first time I ever pulled off the side panel of this projector. But crazier things have happened.
                It's actually very common. A switch sits for ten years undisturbed, with heat and UV from the lamp weakening it steadily. Then a panel is opened, and the mechanical shock is all that is needed to break the switch. It's similar to the syndrome whereby if you have a car that has done 150K miles without ever having had a transmission fluid change, many mechanics will refuse to do it, because the gunk and crud that is liberated from the bottom of the pan by the act of draining and refilling it is very likely to break the transmission. But if you do nothing, you might get another 50K miles out of it.

                Last edited by Leo Enticknap; 08-09-2026, 05:26 PM.

                Comment

                • Mike Reed
                  Film Handler
                  • Dec 2023
                  • 82
                  • Clearfield PA

                  #23
                  Originally posted by Leo Enticknap
                  I was going by the Series 2 training slides, which state that 486 is a service door tamper, and 482 + 484 are IMB marriage errors. According to the error lookup for the NC1200 specifically, 486 is an Enigma problem:

                  One other thought: are you actually using the HD-SDI / Enigma board to play DCPs from a legacy rack server, or are you using an IMB or IMS in the other option slot to play movies? If the latter, you might be able to play. As long as there is no tamper or marriage error affecting the other option slot, it should work, even if the Enigma decrypter is in a tamper/broken marriage condition.

                  so I’m not much of a tech person when it comes to these. I can do some basic troubleshooting. I unfortunately have no idea what HD- SDI/enigma boards are or how to know if I can switch to an open slot to play our movies. No idea how to check for tamper or marriage errors? Is that on the projector itself or on my IMS2000 server?

                  Comment

                  • Mike Reed
                    Film Handler
                    • Dec 2023
                    • 82
                    • Clearfield PA

                    #24
                    Originally posted by Jason Sharp
                    Which IMB are you using? Can you log in to its interface and see what errors it may be reporting?
                    how do I know which IMB I am running? Sorry don’t know exactly what that means I know basic stuff with these projectors but I’ve owned the cinema for a little over two years and I’m still learning a lot. do I look that up on my projector on my IMS2000 screen or on the DCC controller app? And how does that affect my projector problem that I’m having with the door tamper alarm that won’t clear?

                    Comment

                    • Fraser Falconer
                      Film Handler
                      • Jan 2020
                      • 57
                      • Gore, New Zealand

                      #25
                      Hi Guys,
                      It's really quite simple, you need to clear the service door tamper by the side control panel with the appropriate password. Sorry the forum rules don't allow me to go further.

                      Cheers Fraser

                      Comment

                      • Mike Reed
                        Film Handler
                        • Dec 2023
                        • 82
                        • Clearfield PA

                        #26
                        Originally posted by Fraser Falconer
                        Hi Guys,
                        It's really quite simple, you need to clear the service door tamper by the side control panel with the appropriate password. Sorry the forum rules don't allow me to go further.

                        Cheers Fraser
                        I wish it was that simple and I would’ve had my theater back up and running today. When I put in the password it just immediately goes back to the service door tamper warning. Every time I enter the code it does not clear it. It is the correct code to put it into service mode. Unfortunately nothing clears every time I put in the code.

                        Comment

                        • Fraser Falconer
                          Film Handler
                          • Jan 2020
                          • 57
                          • Gore, New Zealand

                          #27
                          Hi Mike,
                          Sorry, I thought you had trying clearing the service door tamper with the advance user code. It (advance user) doesn't have high enough credentials to clear a service door tamper.

                          Cheers Fraser

                          Comment

                          • Fraser Falconer
                            Film Handler
                            • Jan 2020
                            • 57
                            • Gore, New Zealand

                            #28
                            Hi Mike,
                            A projector log should indicate which Tamper switch is causing the tamper, providing you have a recent version of DCC If you are only getting a 586 error, that would indicate that all the switches are engaged, and you only need to clear the error. If a switch was still open it would be accompanied with a 177 Tamper Fail. The suffix on the tamper error indicates which switch is open.

                            Cheers Fraser
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Fraser Falconer; 08-09-2026, 10:27 PM.

                            Comment

                            • Mike Reed
                              Film Handler
                              • Dec 2023
                              • 82
                              • Clearfield PA

                              #29
                              Originally posted by Fraser Falconer
                              Hi Mike,
                              A projector log should indicate which Tamper switch is causing the tamper, providing you have a recent version of DCC If you are only getting a 586 error, that would indicate that all the switches are engaged, and you only need to clear the error. If a switch was still open it would be accompanied with a 177 Tamper Fail. The suffix on the tamper error indicates which switch is open.

                              Cheers Fraser
                              this is good information. I will check tomorrow morning when I get to the theater to see if it indicates which switch is giving me the problem. I would see that on the DCC app or on my ims2000 log?

                              Comment

                              • Leo Enticknap
                                Film God
                                • Jan 2020
                                • 3572
                                • Loma Linda, CA

                                #30
                                If your server is an IMS2000, then it doesn't matter what the Enigma card is or isn't doing, because you aren't using it. As things are now, ignore the red tail light and error messages. Can you actually play DCPs from the IMS2000?

                                Comment

                                Working...