North By Northwest...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Mark Gulbrandsen
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 3093
    • Nashville, TN

    #1

    North By Northwest...

    In light of the release of some new 70mm prints of North By Northwest... I thought I'd post this image that apparently not everyone has seen. Shooting the plane on location. using two VistaVision cameras, the sound guys are back by the truck. I also found out the airplane in this scene still exists and is just 30 miles from where I grew up outside Chicago... Am seriously going to inquire about a ride on it. Of course Carey Grants escapades in the dirt were shot rear screen in the studio...
    Attached Files
  • Ryan Gallagher
    Film God
    • Nov 2022
    • 2855
    • Austin, Texas, USA

    #2
    We show that every year, usually twice.... wonder if our programmer is eyeing the 70mm restoration for next year.

    Comment

    • Jim Cassedy
      Film God
      • Jan 2020
      • 1450
      • San Francisco

      #3
      Great photo, Mark! I've seen a couple of other production stills from the "cornfield" sequence,
      but not that particular one. I hadn't heard or read about new 70mm N x NW prints being made, but
      that's certainly good news.
      > We have several screenings of VERTIGO in 70mm here later this month.

      Comment

      • Mark Gulbrandsen
        Film God
        • Jan 2020
        • 3093
        • Nashville, TN

        #4
        I hope you get to run it. It looks incredible, just as one would expect from a high end VistaVision Production...

        Comment

        • Ryan Gallagher
          Film God
          • Nov 2022
          • 2855
          • Austin, Texas, USA

          #5
          How does vistavision 8perf 35mm run horizontally and cropped to 1.85:1 compare to 70mm 5perf cropped to 1.85:1 in terms of image fidelity?

          IMDB technical lists several aspects NxNW has been shown in:
          • 1.66 : 1(intended & European theatrical ratio)
          • 2.00 : 1(Univisium, alternative US theatrical ratio)
          • 1.50 : 1(VistaVision, original & negative ratio)
          • 1.85 : 1(intended & US theatrical ratio)
          ​When doing a restoration from 8perf vistavision sources, to digital intermediate, to 70mm re-print. How does one decide what aspect to make the 70mm?

          Comment

          • Mark Gulbrandsen
            Film God
            • Jan 2020
            • 3093
            • Nashville, TN

            #6
            Originally posted by Ryan Gallagher
            How does vistavision 8perf 35mm run horizontally and cropped to 1.85:1 compare to 70mm 5perf cropped to 1.85:1 in terms of image fidelity?

            IMDB technical lists several aspects NxNW has been shown in:
            • 1.66 : 1(intended & European theatrical ratio)
            • 2.00 : 1(Univisium, alternative US theatrical ratio)
            • 1.50 : 1(VistaVision, original & negative ratio)
            • 1.85 : 1(intended & US theatrical ratio)
            ​When doing a restoration from 8perf vistavision sources, to digital intermediate, to 70mm re-print. How does one decide what aspect to make the 70mm?
            They generally keep the production intended aspect ratio. I've had 35mm of NxNW and Vertigo and the IB Tech prints I had were printed at 1:85., although many older productions were printed at 1:66. Image fidelity is of course less for 35mm, especially dye transfer. The 70mm prints are the only ones that fully reveal what VistaVision can do.
            Last edited by Mark Gulbrandsen; 09-19-2024, 08:11 PM.

            Comment

            • Jim Cassedy
              Film God
              • Jan 2020
              • 1450
              • San Francisco

              #7
              Originally posted by Ryan Gallagher
              <edited> How does one decide what aspect to make the 70mm?
              Well, on a strictly practical level, my choices are limited to whatever combination of lenses & aperture plates
              are available at the theater. lol
              But I do also have my own personal set of about a ½-dozen pairs of 70mm aperture plates that are trimmed
              to slightly different ratios, (undersize/oversize) that I can play around with. I know there's also another pair of
              70mm lenses in booth storage, but they're unmounted so I've never tried using them, since the current pair
              of 70mm lenses have worked for all the other 70mm shows we've had.
              - yes, I'll be running the print. I'm going to do the 35-to-70 projector conversion over the weekend,
              since I ran my last two 35mm shows for this month earlier this week, and I'm stuck there all day Saturday.

              Comment

              • Ryan Gallagher
                Film God
                • Nov 2022
                • 2855
                • Austin, Texas, USA

                #8
                I expect you have suitable 1.85 plates since you have been at this a while.. But anyone know if the lab undersized this one? Searchers 2024 was matted but did not appear undersized compared to another vintage 1.85 70mm.

                if I was not on my phone I’d look up which lab did both.

                Have a great screening!

                Comment

                • James Biggins
                  Film Handler
                  • Jan 2020
                  • 55
                  • Leicester, U.K.

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Ryan Gallagher
                  We show that every year, usually twice.... wonder if our programmer is eyeing the 70mm restoration for next year.

                  I'm looking forward to seeing that 70mm restoration at The Pictureville, Bradford UK on Thursday 26th.

                  Comment

                  • Harry Smolin
                    Pro Film Handler
                    • Feb 2024
                    • 158
                    • Bedford, New York, USA

                    #10
                    We ran the new 4K DCP of it last month in VistaVision. Looked great!

                    Comment

                    • James Biggins
                      Film Handler
                      • Jan 2020
                      • 55
                      • Leicester, U.K.

                      #11
                      Originally posted by James Biggins


                      I'm looking forward to seeing that 70mm restoration at The Pictureville, Bradford UK on Thursday 26th.
                      …and it looked superb. Flawless print, and Eva Marie Saint never looked lovelier.

                      Comment

                      • David Ferguson
                        Pro Film Handler
                        • Jan 2020
                        • 269
                        • Edinburgh, UK

                        #12
                        Originally posted by James Biggins
                        I'm looking forward to seeing that 70mm restoration at The Pictureville, Bradford UK on Thursday 26th. […] and it looked superb. Flawless print​
                        I was there, saw it and it was great. Although it was sad to see a little dirt at the reel ends already given that it was only the second public performance of that print.

                        Are you around for the rest of Widescreen Weekend? I’m here until Monday afternoon. Middle of row E if you want to spot me and say hi.

                        Comment

                        • Mark Gulbrandsen
                          Film God
                          • Jan 2020
                          • 3093
                          • Nashville, TN

                          #13
                          Originally posted by David Ferguson
                          I was there, saw it and it was great. Although it was sad to see a little dirt at the reel ends already given that it was only the second public performance of that print.
                          That's a shame. That print should be cleaned, or that dirt will embed itself into the emulsion....

                          Comment

                          • Mark Gulbrandsen
                            Film God
                            • Jan 2020
                            • 3093
                            • Nashville, TN

                            #14
                            Here are a couple more production still I recently ran across. That doesn't appear to be Carey Grant doing the running...
                            Attached Files

                            Comment

                            • Mark Gulbrandsen
                              Film God
                              • Jan 2020
                              • 3093
                              • Nashville, TN

                              #15
                              Original Storyboard showing all the shots that had to be taken for that scene...
                              Attached Files

                              Comment

                              Working...