Home screening room curtains

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Josh Jones
    Pro Film Handler
    • Feb 2024
    • 153
    • McKinney, TX

    #1

    Home screening room curtains

    Years ago, I had a small screen in my bedroom that my mother had made a curtain of crushed velvet, the pictures of which are still in the warehouse. Talking to TJ some months back, I thought I might give curtains another try in my current screening room, which is my living room. I have a 10' screen now, and the old tracks I used years ago had their share of problems. There are now products on the market now that are small versions of commercial track made out of aluminum extrusion, such as below. The plan is to build another dual motor system like I had before with gear motors and chain.
    I had the sewing machine serviced so it should be up to the challenge of making the curtain and masking panels. Mom did pinch pleat on the old curtain, but I wonder if box pleat would work just as well? I know most commercial curtains had a pouch in the bottom that had chain pulled through it to give the curtain some weight and help it hang straight. I may do that as well with some lighter wire chain.

    Thoughts?
  • Ryan Gallagher
    Film God
    • Nov 2022
    • 2855
    • Austin, Texas, USA

    #2
    It would be pricier no doubt, but I believe they make wheeled carriers for use in "Unistrut" too. I believe that world calls them "Trolleys"

    One example, but lots to choose from. Probably overkill on the load rating for at home.

    https://pfupferclub.ch/index.php/P2749-EG-2-Wheel-Light-Duty-Trolley-Fits-1-5-8-quot-Channel-1379043/

    Although will also be anything but "silent".
    Last edited by Ryan Gallagher; 02-17-2026, 01:06 AM.

    Comment

    • Tj Hopland
      Pro Film Handler
      • Jun 2025
      • 264
      • Minneapolis, MN

      #3
      How much is that T slot stuff they used to build 3d printers out of? They make the little bearing wheels that roll in that stuff so it would be smooth and quiet. Even if the track is kind of expensive the wheels may fit other things. And along the 3d printer route what about the notch belting they use? I assume you can just order that in bulk lengths. Pulleys are readily available for that stuff and brackets for the track so you could maybe do it all with the belting? No need for chains and cable that way. Since that's kinda all obsolete tech for 3d printers now maybe pick up a used one for cheap you get you a bunch of the parts including motors that have the correct pulleys on em? Could maybe even use the electronics? G code masking stops?

      Comment

      • Josh Jones
        Pro Film Handler
        • Feb 2024
        • 153
        • McKinney, TX

        #4
        Originally posted by Ryan Gallagher
        It would be pricier no doubt, but I believe they make wheeled carriers for use in "Unistrut" too. I believe that world calls them "Trolleys"

        One example, but lots to choose from. Probably overkill on the load rating for at home.

        https://pfupferclub.ch/index.php/P2749-EG-2-Wheel-Light-Duty-Trolley-Fits-1-5-8-quot-Channel-1379043/

        Although will also be anything but "silent".
        I thought about going the unistrut route, as I use that for other film handling applications. For a lighter curtain, I think its a bit overkill. Perhaps down the road when I have a larger screen. The appeal of the prebuilt stuff is that it should be quieter. The unistrut trolleys tend to scrape the sides alot.

        Comment

        Working...