The Phillips 16mm looks like a very well built machine. The first thing I noticed was that it
is a "left-handed" projector, with the sprocket teeth on the inside (towards the projector body)
instead of being on the outside (towards the operator), as is more customary. Hortson's and
Natco projectors were the same way. I ran a 'left-handed' projector for several years at a
summer camp in upstate NY. Once a week they had a 'movie night' which usually consisted
of a cartoon reel and a Hollywood feature film from a company like Swank or Kit Parker, etc.
Since the films we received were wound the conventional way (sprocket holes towards the
operator), I'd sometimes have to rewind them twice if they came mounted on the type of
16mm reels which could only be mounted on the projector one way. (ie: The spindle hole
was square on one side of the reel and round on the other) Of course the machine would
want to rewind the films with the same 'inside sprocket' orientation, but since I was a nice
guy I'd give the film (or the rewind belt) a ½-twist so that they wound up the right way when
they went back to the distributor. I also seem to recall that the distributor also charged a
small fee for films that were returned either "incorrectly rewound" or not rewound at all.
For the morbidly technically curious, Phillips published an excellent tech document about
their 16mm projector in 1954, which you can read here ➔ https://tinyurl.com/2dkkppj9
In the document you can see that projector had a really interesting intermittent movement
mechanism. Also, not surprisingly, it used a Phillips type projection bulb, unlike the type
you'd find in most USA built projectors at that time. And, despite all its' fancy features the
projector doesn't seem to have a way of rewinding the film on the projector, but instead
comes with a separate hand rewind. But it still looks like a very good, well built, projector.
is a "left-handed" projector, with the sprocket teeth on the inside (towards the projector body)
instead of being on the outside (towards the operator), as is more customary. Hortson's and
Natco projectors were the same way. I ran a 'left-handed' projector for several years at a
summer camp in upstate NY. Once a week they had a 'movie night' which usually consisted
of a cartoon reel and a Hollywood feature film from a company like Swank or Kit Parker, etc.
Since the films we received were wound the conventional way (sprocket holes towards the
operator), I'd sometimes have to rewind them twice if they came mounted on the type of
16mm reels which could only be mounted on the projector one way. (ie: The spindle hole
was square on one side of the reel and round on the other) Of course the machine would
want to rewind the films with the same 'inside sprocket' orientation, but since I was a nice
guy I'd give the film (or the rewind belt) a ½-twist so that they wound up the right way when
they went back to the distributor. I also seem to recall that the distributor also charged a
small fee for films that were returned either "incorrectly rewound" or not rewound at all.
For the morbidly technically curious, Phillips published an excellent tech document about
their 16mm projector in 1954, which you can read here ➔ https://tinyurl.com/2dkkppj9
In the document you can see that projector had a really interesting intermittent movement
mechanism. Also, not surprisingly, it used a Phillips type projection bulb, unlike the type
you'd find in most USA built projectors at that time. And, despite all its' fancy features the
projector doesn't seem to have a way of rewinding the film on the projector, but instead
comes with a separate hand rewind. But it still looks like a very good, well built, projector.
Comment