70MM The Odyssey

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Jim Cassedy
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark Ogden
    I'm curious; I see 70mm prints of The Odyssey
    shipping on three triple-sized reels and loaded onto platters. What happens
    if, like the fellow above, you want to run it as a changeover? What reel
    configuration do you get from the distributor? Is it cue marked?
    I run changeovers here, and almost every new 70mm release I've handled since
    "Licorice Pizza" was shipped and configured to run in a changeover booth. By that
    I mean they have super-extra-long head and tail leaders to keep dirt, dust and
    fingerprints from getting anywhere near any part of the film that's going to wind
    up on screen, and they've also had cue marks, which almost always professionally
    scribed, as opposed to printed lab cues. The changover prints of ODC are on
    mounted six, 5000ft reels. The longer reels run apx 40min, and there's one short
    reel (R2) that runs only 21 min. The heavier reels weigh just under 45lbs- - this is
    how I get my exercise - the feed spindles on our projectors are 7ft AFL.
    (AFL= Above Floor Level) - I have a step stool or I'd never get them up there!
    Last edited by Jim Cassedy; 07-25-2026, 09:28 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Magnus Eriksson
    replied
    Can the TS-1 player also do CSS subtitles?

    Leave a comment:


  • Marcel Birgelen
    replied
    Nice to see a TS-1 in action.

    Originally posted by Bobby Henderson
    I'm not even sure if the AP-25 cinema processor product they sell is compatible with the old DTS Theatrical audio format (it does support consumer DTS-HD Master Audio though).
    Consumer DTS and "cinematic" DTS are different beasts, although once supported and licensed by the same company. The AP-20/25 only support several consumer DTS versions. There is also no CD-ROM drive anymore to read DTS CDs. If you install the H338 card, it can do optical audio from 35mm film with most optical readers, but it's limited to analog sound with optional Dolby-A and Dolby-SR decoding.

    Originally posted by Chris Haller

    Isn't that what Boston Light and Sound's new TS-1 processor is supposed to do?
    Not really. The TS-1 is a pragmatic solution for the current situation. The TS-1 hooks in on the existing DTS timecode format and also requires a DTS timecode reader, which is, afaik, still officially a closed format. What's missing on film, both 35mm and 70mm is an open-standard film-ID and timecode format. On the other hand, whoever holds the IP for the DTS timecode, could open up the DTS timecode format itself.

    Leave a comment:


  • Sean McKinnon
    replied
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

    Leave a comment:


  • Chris Haller
    replied
    Originally posted by Bobby Henderson

    I really wish the DTS time code on 35mm and 70mm film prints could simply made an industry standard, general purpose time code so other audio formats could be synchronized to it.
    Isn't that what Boston Light and Sound's new TS-1 processor is supposed to do?

    Leave a comment:


  • Bobby Henderson
    replied
    I could be wrong, but I think the reason no DTS logo is listed in the end credits of The Odyssey is due to murky trademark/patents issues.

    IIRC, FotoKem is now the owner (or final caretaker) of the original DTS Theatrical format IP. A good while back the consumer electronics side of DTS separated itself from the theatrical side, spinning the theatrical portion off into what became Datasat Digital Entertainment. But now Datasat itself is largely a consumer electronics company now. I'm not sure if the company still has anything to do with supporting the theatrical DTS format. I'm not even sure if the AP-25 cinema processor product they sell is compatible with the old DTS Theatrical audio format (it does support consumer DTS-HD Master Audio though). It seems like most 5/70 projection setups are using DTS XD10 and XD20 units in the booth racks. Anyway, both DTS and Datasat companies still technically exist. So it could be tricky using either DTS or Datasat brands in advertising purposes on movie posters or end credit listings. In the film lab and projection booths most still refer to the audio format as DTS.

    I really wish the DTS time code on 35mm and 70mm film prints could simply made an industry standard, general purpose time code so other audio formats could be synchronized to it. The old DTS format was decent, but now lossless audio is common and available in high bit rates. And then there are the immersive formats like Dolby Atmos. It's clear there is legit consumer demand for film-based projection in cinemas. I think the appeal would be boosted by improving the audio playback options. The magnetic analog audio tracks aren't coming back. Higher quality digital is the only way to get around the data-lossy nature of the old DTS audio format.

    Leave a comment:


  • Marco Giustini
    replied
    Originally posted by Javier de Blas
    Funny thing projecting the film. Even though we are using dts for the soundtrack on 70mm 5 perf. There's no mention to datasat or dts in the sound credits at the end of the picture.
    Reminds me decades ago when I used to wait the end of the credits to see "what sound format the film had been presented with" ?

    I'd imagine in 2026 there is not much left of DTS Marketing dept!

    Leave a comment:


  • Aron Toplitsky
    replied
    Originally posted by Sean McKinnon
    Aron Toplitsky, The masking is actually non-functional in that room. Not sure if its broken or has been removed but unfortunately there is no functional movable masking in that room.
    That's a shame, but thanks for that info! I hope it's not a new policy at that theater.

    Leave a comment:


  • Javier de Blas
    replied
    Funny thing projecting the film. Even though we are using dts for the soundtrack on 70mm 5 perf. There's no mention to datasat or dts in the sound credits at the end of the picture.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

    Leave a comment:


  • Sean McKinnon
    replied
    Aron Toplitsky, The masking is actually non-functional in that room. Not sure if its broken or has been removed but unfortunately there is no functional movable masking in that room.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ryan Gallagher
    replied
    Distributors are usually aligning their distribution methods to the needs of the theatre. All of the above are semi-compatible with platter houses... but R2R houses will get specific distribution, these days I think most distributors want you to be able to handle 24" reels if doing change over? But Brad could probably better answer that.

    That said, it was most definitely more than 3 reels if you were being asked to build up from 24" reels. Combining onto larger for platter houses is just a choice, might depend on their build-up/loading systems.
    Last edited by Ryan Gallagher; 07-20-2026, 06:45 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mark Ogden
    replied
    I'm curious; I see 70mm prints of The Odyssey shipping on three triple-sized reels and loaded onto platters. What happens if, like the fellow above, you want to run it as a changeover? What reel configuration do you get from the distributor? Is it cue marked?

    Leave a comment:


  • Ed Gordon
    replied
    What do Olivia Wilde, James Cameron and Mark Jenkin all have in common? Each filmmaker has, in one way or another, paid thanks to film projectionists by referring to them as the last member of the crew. After enormous teams spend months, if not years, working on a film, it’s the projectionists who hold the final result in their hands and work their own magic to bring movies to life on the big screen.

    In Seattle, that final member of the crew is Aaron Ridenour, and he’s having a busy month.

    A longtime projectionist and technician who travels from state to state plying his trade, Ridenour was one of the last to play 70mm films at Cinerama before it went dark in 2020. Though much has changed, including the name of the theater itself, it’s Ridenour who will be there once more running 70mm screenings, long a staple of the space. This time, he’s overseeing all the screenings of Christopher Nolan’s highly anticipated epic “The Odyssey” at SIFF Cinema Downtown July 16-26 and July 31-Aug. 2.
    ​
    The full article with photos continued at: SIFF’s 70mm screenings of ‘The Odyssey’ are thanks to this projectionist

    ​

    Leave a comment:


  • Jim Cassedy
    replied
    Originally posted by Ryan Gallagher
    <edited> If they have a common height screen normally they would
    have movable side masking...but perhaps that room's system is down.
    Thanks for giving the projectionist the 'benefit of a doubt". Let me tell you what I've had
    happen to me at my venue: My 70mm film playlists are often creatively convoluted, because
    I know exactly how long it takes for our curtains to open, for the masking to move, for the audio
    processor to switch formats, etc. So, for someone not familiar with 'my' booth, some playlists
    may look overly complicated. One of the things I lke to do for 70mm shows, is to program all
    of our (digital) pre-show shorts and trailers, etc in FLAT, and then, I have an automation cue
    open up the masking wide when the 70mm hits the screen, to give a certain "wow" factor.
    (more than one customer has commented they like how our screen 'expands' for 70mm)

    Unfortunately (for me) corporate programmers can remotely modify my playlists to add or
    remove content, and sometimes, not all my custom cues wind up where they should be or
    occasionally they're not there at all. Since my theater chain operates across the USA, and
    the 'cloud people' who 'fix' my playlists are in a different time zone, these changes very
    often happen very early in the morning, or very late at night, when I'm not around.

    Although I've asked them to let me know if they make any changes, or better yet, let
    me know what changes need to be made, and then let ME make them, this doesn't
    always happen. ( Unfortunately, there's no way for me to 'lock' a playlist so it can't be
    changed remotely, although they can lock their playlists so < I > can't edit them, but
    I've sort of found a way to do that anyway
    ) So, I have occasionally had strange things
    happen during a show where the masking doesn't wind up where it should be or the
    sound isn't in the right format. . , but it's not always my fault. I did have a masking
    issue recently, which I didn't catch until several minutes into the first reel because a
    manager came in to ask me a semi-important question, and I didn't catch the masking
    issue right away. Luckily nothing was cut-off. The top/bottom masking was open too
    wide, which gave the appearance of the picture being 'letterboxed' because of the blank
    screen above & below the image. I did manually fix it, rather than leave it that way.
    Last edited by Jim Cassedy; 07-19-2026, 01:51 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ian Puffenberger
    replied
    If they have up and down masking that's a common width screen. They almost certainly only have masking settings for scope and flat; very few chain theaters will have anything more than that. So it's either letterboxed with a larger picture (but also larger boxes) or pillar-boxed inside the scope masking with a smaller picture (and boxes). I'm going to just go ahead and assume it was on a medium-sized screen as well. Ultimately, unless they have the ability and skill to show it properly on their largest screens, chain multiplexes are no place for 70mm.

    Leave a comment:

Working...