Random photos, comics, etc.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Martin McCaffery
    Expert Film Handler
    • Jan 2020
    • 575
    • Montgomery, Alabama

    #301
    Originally posted by Leo Enticknap
    youngboozer.png​

    Young Boozer?! I hope the minimum drinking age in Alabama lives up to his name...
    That's Young Boozer III. Given that he is 75, I think we are up to Young Boozer VI at this point. Very prominent name in Alabama.

    Comment

    • Leo Enticknap
      Film God
      • Jan 2020
      • 3572
      • Loma Linda, CA

      #302
      By my calculation, Young Boozer II would have had to violate the Volstead Act to have lived up to his name!

      Changing the subject somewhat:

      image.png​

      So Barco Alchemy certificate batteries are a "health and beauty" product, according to Amazon! Knowing that an ICMP won't bork, resulting in a panicked call or email, is not bad for my health, I guess, but I'm still not sure that I get the beauty part...

      Comment

      • Harold Hallikainen
        Film God
        • Jan 2020
        • 1072
        • Tucson AZ

        #303
        You used to be able to get batteries from Radio Shack. They had a transistor radio 9V battery that had "higher lumen output." Perfect for projectors!

        Comment

        • Frank Cox
          Film God
          • Jan 2020
          • 2314
          • Melville Saskatchewan

          #304
          My wife makes fancy quilts and she donated one to the Agricultural Society Fair to raffle off as a fundraiser.

          First prize is her quilt.

          Second prize is a pig!

          I told her she now has proof that her quilts can beat out the pigs!

          raffle_orig.jpg

          Comment

          • Randy Stankey
            Film God
            • Jan 2020
            • 1388
            • Erie, PA, USA

            #305
            I'm impressed with the fact that your wife's quilt has been valued at $1,000!

            My girlfriend knits and crochets and she often makes blankets and things. She'd be hard pressed to pull down a hundred, let alone a grand!
            She's very good at it and has even won prizes at the local fair.

            Sewing and knitting are different things, of course, but I know how much work it takes to make something like a king size blanket. It takes weeks and, sometimes, months, for Hannah to make a full sized blanket but, still, it would be nigh on impossible for her to get that much for one of her creations even though she does top notch work.

            Tell your wife, good job! Thumbs up! She must be proud!

            Deservedly so!

            Comment

            • Harold Hallikainen
              Film God
              • Jan 2020
              • 1072
              • Tucson AZ

              #306
              Very impressive! I was going to say that both the first and second prize could keep you warm, but I see that the second prize is "cut and wrapped."

              Comment

              • Frank Cox
                Film God
                • Jan 2020
                • 2314
                • Melville Saskatchewan

                #307
                450905735_880815164073737_4190213294174939287_n.jpg
                Here is a picture of the whole quilt.

                Comment

                • Randy Stankey
                  Film God
                  • Jan 2020
                  • 1388
                  • Erie, PA, USA

                  #308
                  That's pretty freakin' amazing!

                  The scroll quilting must have taken forever, even if done on a machine!

                  Comment

                  • Leo Enticknap
                    Film God
                    • Jan 2020
                    • 3572
                    • Loma Linda, CA

                    #309
                    image.png​

                    I felt somewhat smug this morning at Starbucks: they could only accept cash, and I was one of very few people in line who actually had some.

                    Comment

                    • Harold Hallikainen
                      Film God
                      • Jan 2020
                      • 1072
                      • Tucson AZ

                      #310
                      Originally posted by Leo Enticknap
                      [ATTACH=JSON]
                      I felt somewhat smug this morning at Starbucks: they could only accept cash, and I was one of very few people in line who actually had some.
                      It's good to have backup systems!

                      On system updates, there is a script that pushes updates to USL/QSC/MIT IRC systems. The script checks that the system comes back up again and reports the new version number before going on to the next unit. The script exits on the first failure so we don't end up with hundreds of dead systems.

                      Comment

                      • Randy Stankey
                        Film God
                        • Jan 2020
                        • 1388
                        • Erie, PA, USA

                        #311
                        Weren't there a couple of guys, here, at Film-Tech who always used to say that you should never accept automatic software updates but nobody seemed to want to listen?

                        Comment

                        • Tony Bandiera Jr
                          Expert Film Handler
                          • Jan 2020
                          • 720
                          • Moreland, Idaho

                          #312
                          Originally posted by Leo Enticknap
                          By my calculation, Young Boozer II would have had to violate the Volstead Act to have lived up to his name!

                          Changing the subject somewhat:

                          image.png​

                          So Barco Alchemy certificate batteries are a "health and beauty" product, according to Amazon! Knowing that an ICMP won't bork, resulting in a panicked call or email, is not bad for my health, I guess, but I'm still not sure that I get the beauty part...
                          I'm sure those batteries are also used in ahem, "personal pleasure items" thus the category.

                          Comment

                          • Ed Gordon
                            Pro Film Handler
                            • Jan 2020
                            • 365
                            • Seattle, WA, USA

                            #313
                            Originally posted by Harold Hallikainen
                            It's good to have backup systems!

                            On system updates, there is a script that pushes updates to USL/QSC/MIT IRC systems. The script checks that the system comes back up again and reports the new version number before going on to the next unit. The script exits on the first failure so we don't end up with hundreds of dead systems.
                            Originally posted by Randy Stankey
                            Weren't there a couple of guys, here, at Film-Tech who always used to say that you should never accept automatic software updates but nobody seemed to want to listen?
                            ​

                            I used to work for a Fortune 500 corporation as a Sr. Systems Analyst. We never allowed any software provider, including Microsoft, to automatically update our systems. We also never allowed any computer that was not owned by our company to even attach to our network. I suspect there will be many people fired for allowing CrowdStrike to update the affected systems. I wouldn't want to be an employee at CrowdStrike. It reminds me of the old quote, "'A sure way to empty a hotel fast: is to drop an elevator."

                            Comment

                            • Mark Gulbrandsen
                              Film God
                              • Jan 2020
                              • 3093
                              • Nashville, TN

                              #314
                              Originally posted by Ed Gordon

                              ​

                              I used to work for a Fortune 500 corporation as a Sr. Systems Analyst. We never allowed any software provider, including Microsoft, to automatically update our systems. We also never allowed any computer that was not owned by our company to even attach to our network. I suspect there will be many people fired for allowing CrowdStrike to update the affected systems. I wouldn't want to be an employee at CrowdStrike. It reminds me of the old quote, "'A sure way to empty a hotel fast: is to drop an elevator."
                              The funny part is that the fix is uber easy to do. The start point is the "Blue Screen Of Death Page". There are already "How To" videos on Instagram and Tic Toc.. Takes about 15 seconds to do, then just reboot the computer and you're back home... The bigger problem is that it's millions of computers that are all over the world...

                              Comment

                              • Mark Gulbrandsen
                                Film God
                                • Jan 2020
                                • 3093
                                • Nashville, TN

                                #315
                                Here is how you fix the problem.

                                Comment

                                Working...