Random photos, comics, etc.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Harold Hallikainen
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 1071
    • Tucson AZ

    #541
    On the high hotel room price, people key in wrong stuff. Zillow says we bought our house for $300.

    Comment

    • Jim Cassedy
      Film God
      • Jan 2020
      • 1450
      • San Francisco

      #542
      CoyoteHouse.jpg
      "That's All Folks!"

      Comment

      • Jim Cassedy
        Film God
        • Jan 2020
        • 1450
        • San Francisco

        #543
        Our Actual "BOOTH MONKEY" !
        Some time around Christmas last year, we found this pair of stuffed monkeys under a seat
        after one of the shows. (It's a 'mama monkey" with a mini monkey clutching onto her back)
        We have assigned seating, but unfortunately the people sitting in the seats near where it was
        found all paid cash, so we couldn't identify them through their credit cards. We've been holding
        on to it since December, and nobody has ever claimed it or inquired about it at Lost And Found.
        . . so, today, we adopted it as our official "booth monkey" We're trying to figure out a name for it.

        BoothMonkey.jpg
        It's an ironically appropriate mascot, since, haven't almost all of us, at one
        time or another, known at least one projectionist with 'a monkey on his back'?

        Last edited by Jim Cassedy; 04-02-2026, 06:54 PM. Reason: To "Spank The Monkey"

        Comment

        • Frank Cox
          Film God
          • Jan 2020
          • 2314
          • Melville Saskatchewan

          #544
          Saturday's Smile-5-9-2026.jpg
          ..........

          Comment

          • Frank Cox
            Film God
            • Jan 2020
            • 2314
            • Melville Saskatchewan

            #545
            4661.jpg

            ..........

            Comment

            • Leo Enticknap
              Film God
              • Jan 2020
              • 3572
              • Loma Linda, CA

              #546
              image.png​
              image.png​


              Source - somehow I don't think this contractor will be putting these photos on his LinkedIn page...

              Comment

              • Ryan Gallagher
                Film God
                • Nov 2022
                • 2855
                • Austin, Texas, USA

                #547
                Originally posted by Jim Cassedy
                Our Actual "BOOTH MONKEY" !
                Some time around Christmas last year, we found this pair of stuffed monkeys under a seat
                after one of the shows. (It's a 'mama monkey" with a mini monkey clutching onto her back)
                We have assigned seating, but unfortunately the people sitting in the seats near where it was
                found all paid cash, so we couldn't identify them through their credit cards. We've been holding
                on to it since December, and nobody has ever claimed it or inquired about it at Lost And Found.
                . . so, today, we adopted it as our official "booth monkey" We're trying to figure out a name for it.
                How about "Journey" and "Junior". ;-)

                Comment

                • Jim Cassedy
                  Film God
                  • Jan 2020
                  • 1450
                  • San Francisco

                  #548
                  I was in a home improvement store the other day and saw these interesting
                  electric outlets which had a built in USB charger with self-retracting cables.
                  I started thinking about them more when I got home and I looked for more
                  info online. They're available from multiple sellers, but I was most amused
                  by this badly photoshopped image on e-bay:

                  One picture shows (correctly) that the device is
                  basically the same size as a standard USA electric outlet.

                  USB_Outlet1.jpg

                  The 2nd photo in the e-bay listing makes it look HUGE!
                  (or maybe this was just a very small bed and nightstand)

                  USB_Outlet2.jpg

                  You might also notice that in one photo the ground pin is at the
                  top, and in 2nd one it's on the bottom. In the USA, I believe the
                  electrical code is agnostic about the orientation of the ground
                  pin, although in practice, in residences the outlets are usually
                  installed with the pin at the bottom, but in most commercial
                  installations, the outlets are installed with the ground pin on top,
                  which is considered safer, since it is less likely that a foreign
                  object falling onto the outlet would short out the two 'hot' prongs.
                  Last edited by Jim Cassedy; 05-13-2026, 02:56 PM.

                  Comment

                  • Leo Enticknap
                    Film God
                    • Jan 2020
                    • 3572
                    • Loma Linda, CA

                    #549
                    I don't know if this is something codified or just an informal convention, but when we moved into our current home, there was one outlet in each room that was "flipped" - ground pin at the top. This was to indicate that it was controlled by a light switch on the wall next to the door. The idea is that you plug a stand or desk lamp into this outlet, and can turn it on and off from the wall switch along with the ceiling light/fan.

                    I've installed quite a few combined NEMA 5-15 and USB charging outlets around the house. All of us, the cats included (Feliway devices), were charging so many devices all the time, that we were living with a permanent demonstration of what inspired the nickname "wall wart." I even found one 65W USB C outlet charger, for the odd occasion when I need to use my field laptop quickly at the kitchen table. It was a bit pricey, but worth it for the speed advantage.

                    Comment

                    • Harold Hallikainen
                      Film God
                      • Jan 2020
                      • 1071
                      • Tucson AZ

                      #550
                      Our house is old enough that almost all the outlets are two prong. There are GFCI outlets in the kitchen and bathroom, and I THINK the ground pin is connected (I should check that). I think I read somewhere that it is legal to install GFCI outlets without a ground wire if the outlets are labeled as such. They are still effective since the GFCI measures the current difference betewen line and neutral and does not care about current through the safety ground. On charging stuff, especially if it is charged every night (like my phone and watch), I use the wireless charger. I have seen too many USB connectors fail from constant use.

                      Comment

                      • Jim Cassedy
                        Film God
                        • Jan 2020
                        • 1450
                        • San Francisco

                        #551
                        Originally posted by Harold Hallikainen
                        <edited> I have seen too many USB connectors fail from constant use.
                        And I've destroyed a few by tripping over them. That's why I always thought
                        Apple's "mag-safe"™ connectors were a brilliant idea. At some point I discovered
                        that you could buy 'magnetic' cables & adapters to fit various phones & tablets,
                        and I invested in a good set for most of my devices. I know I've saved both a
                        tablet and a blue-tooth speaker from possible destruction using the adapters
                        I got when either myself, a guest, or the cat tripped over the the charging cable.

                        > Hey Harold- the 1926 house I rented for about a decade here in San Francisco
                        had a few areas on the first floor, including the garage and small bathroom, that
                        still had two-prong outlets, which were fed by the original knob-and-tube wiring.
                        Last edited by Jim Cassedy; 05-13-2026, 10:17 PM.

                        Comment

                        • Frank Cox
                          Film God
                          • Jan 2020
                          • 2314
                          • Melville Saskatchewan

                          #552
                          Saturday's Smile-5-15-2026.jpg
                          ..........

                          Comment

                          • Ed Gordon
                            Pro Film Handler
                            • Jan 2020
                            • 365
                            • Seattle, WA, USA

                            #553
                            image.png
                            ..........​

                            Comment

                            • Ryan Gallagher
                              Film God
                              • Nov 2022
                              • 2855
                              • Austin, Texas, USA

                              #554
                              Meanwhile you can jump in a time machine, as our booth is starting to feel like it probably used to a bit in the glory days of film. Still 3 more in route. 14 prints screening in as many days (with a DCP festival breaking it up slightly, although even one of the prints is for them). Going out with a bang before rennovation closure.

                              IMG_7640.jpgIMG_7641.jpg

                              Comment

                              • Leo Enticknap
                                Film God
                                • Jan 2020
                                • 3572
                                • Loma Linda, CA

                                #555
                                The Goldberg cases in the foreground of the first pic look like they withstood several direct hits from the ayatollah's drones! The red Deluxe box that is only still a box because it's been mummified in packaging tape is a familiar sight from my Egyptian days.

                                Comment

                                Working...