Frank's Story Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Frank Cox
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 2314
    • Melville Saskatchewan

    #46
    The Mermaid
    by Frank Cox

    In the heart of the city, where the stench of sin and sweat hung heavy in the air, a weathered old detective named Jack "Rain" Rainsford trudged along the dark city streets. The streets were narrow and winding, lined with decrepit buildings that loomed over him like dark specters. The alleys were dirty and rough, filled with the detritus of a thousand lives, the remnants of forgotten dreams and shattered hopes. The air was thick with the stench of garbage and sweat, a constant reminder of the squalor that surrounded him.

    The detective eventually stood at the edge of the water in the harbour, his worn boots sinking into the damp sand. The city was a cesspool of vice, a never-ending torrent of crime that threatened to swallow him whole. He stared out into the inky black waters, his once-bright eyes now glazed over with the weary resignation of a man who'd seen too much.

    His heart was heavy, filled with the weight of the world and the knowledge that his efforts were futile. The city was too corrupt, rotten to the core and too far gone to ever be saved. He felt the cold grip of despair closing around him, suffocating him, and he wondered if it was all worth it.

    Jack sighed and slumped back against a half-rotted piling that leaned out over the shore. He was was staring out across the inky black water and halfway through his third cigarette when she swam into the bay.

    The mermaid was a vision of beauty, a creature of the deep clad in shimmering scales that reflected the moonlight like a thousand tiny mirrors. Her skin was as smooth as silk, her tail sleek and powerful, its fins graceful and elegant. Her long, flowing hair cascaded down her back like a waterfall, its colour a deep, rich red that seemed to glow in the dim light. Her eyes were emerald green, with a depth and wisdom that belied her otherworldly nature. Her features were delicate and delicate, her lips full and sensuous, and her voice was a haunting melody that drifted like a ghostly lullaby through the mist over the water. She was a creature of mystery and allure, a siren who could captivate even the hardest of hearts with her song.

    Her tail shimmered in the moonlight. It was long, sleek, and it had more curves than catwalk model. The scales were a deep navy, speckled with silver that caught the uncertain light and glimmered like a bad coupling in a neon sign. She slipped out of the water with a flick of her fin, leaving a spray of mist that smelled faintly of seaweed and something else; something that made you wonder if she was a siren or just a woman who'd taken to living in two worlds.

    She didn't speak in words; she sang in the kind of silence that rattles your bones. But when she did — when her voice slipped from her lips like a low, sultry saxophone riff — the whole tide seemed to lean in. "You know, I’ve been chasing the same ghost for years," she murmured, as though she was continuing a conversation they had started a millennium ago. Jack felt the weight of that sentence resonating in his soul.

    "What's a guy like you doing in a place like this anyway?" she asked.

    "I'm just trying to make a difference," he said gruffly, gazing past her toward the ocean. She tilted her head, her emerald eyes filled with a depth that belied her otherworldly nature.

    They sat in silence for a while and then the mermaid looked back at the city with an expression of infinite sorrow.

    "You think you can change this city with your fists and your badge?" she asked, her voice laced with immeasurable sadness. "It's a losing game, my friend. Love and loss are the only constants here."

    "It's hard. It's the nature of this world," Jack said, his voice thick with emotion. "But I still believe in justice. I can't just give up. Not when there's still good left to fight for."

    The mermaid's emerald eyes were twin mirrors of grief and despair. She smiled, a very sad smile. "Then maybe, just maybe, you'll find what you're looking for," she said, her voice trailing off as she slipped back into the water, leaving Jack standing alone on the shore.

    As Jack trudged back toward the dark city streets a ghostly voice wafted from the ocean behind him, barely audible over the sibilance of the waves.

    "Farewell, detective. May you find the peace you seek."​

    Comment

    • Frank Cox
      Film God
      • Jan 2020
      • 2314
      • Melville Saskatchewan

      #47
      Ketchup for the Dragon
      by Frank Cox

      In the gritty heart of a city slick as a greased snake and as tough as a rusty nail, a call came in that exploded like a bombshell. The clock was ticking, and the ticker was none other than Detective Jack "Rain" Rainsford, a grizzled gumshoe who'd seen enough to fill a lifetime with nightmares and the stink of sulfur.

      "Rainsford," the desk sergeant barked, his eyes wide as saucers, "you got yourself a real doozy. A dragon's come into town, looking for a bottle of ketchup. Says it's for seasoning the fair maidens he's got his eye on."

      Jack scratched his bristly jaw, the stubble as coarse as a bramble patch. "A dragon, you say? And it's after ketchup? Sounds like a fairy tale or somebody's hallucinating. Yeah, I've seen that sort of thing before so I'll check it out."

      As Jack stepped out into the neon-lit streets, the cool night air was thick with the scent of rain-soaked asphalt and the faint, acrid whiff of dragonfire. The city's denizens cowered in doorways and alleyways, their faces white with fear.

      But not Jack. He was no stranger to the darkness that lurked beneath the city's glitzy surface. He pushed through the crowds, his footsteps echoing off the wet pavement like the roll of thunder in a storm.

      The city was a maze of shadows and neon, teeming with the sounds of the night. Jack strode through the streets with purpose, his eyes scanning the landscape for any sign of the elusive dragon, following the trail of destruction it left in its wake like a trail of breadcrumbs.

      He moved like a ghost, his senses sharp and alert. He could feel the dragon's presence, a kind of heat that seemed to radiate from the very air itself. He followed the heat, his nose leading him like a compass, and eventually, he found himself standing in front of an abandoned warehouse.

      The building was old and decrepit, its windows broken and its doors hanging off their hinges. But Jack knew that this was the place where the dragon was hiding. He touched the gun in the holster under his coat, the feel of the worn butt of his .45 comforting, and stepped into the darkness.

      The warehouse was a tangled jumble of crates and debris, but Jack moved with the agility of a panther, his senses on high alert. He could hear the dragon's breathing, a sound like the wind through the trees, and he followed it like a bloodhound on a scent.

      Finally, he found the dragon, its scales shimmering like a dame in a sequined dress, its fiery breath sending waves of heat through the air. In its claws, it held the prize that had set off the entire debacle: a bottle of ketchup, its label peeling away like the skin of a sunburned tomato. Jack's heart raced, the adrenaline pumping through his veins like liquid fire.

      Jack, a man who had faced down the dregs of society and always came out swinging, approached the beast with a mixture of caution and determination. His fists were clenched, his eyes narrowed, and his jaw was set in a line as hard as a steel trap.

      "You're gonna give me that ketchup, dragon," Jack said, his voice low and menacing, "Or else."

      The dragon laughed, a sound like the grinding of bones, and its eyes narrowed, the flames in its eyes burning brighter. It roared, and the ground shook beneath their feet. The battle was joined.

      Jack was quick, his reflexes honed by a lifetime of danger. He dodged and weaved like a seasoned prizefighter, his fists flying with the speed and precision of a hummingbird's wings. But the dragon was no ordinary adversary. It was a creature of fire and fury, its claws as sharp as razors and its breath as hot as the heart of the sun.

      The fight was a blur of flames and fists, the air crackling with the electricity of their clash. Jack landed a solid punch, his fist connecting with the dragon's jaw, but the beast shook it off like a dog shaking off water. Jack gritted his teeth and pressed the attack, determined to bring the dragon to its knees.

      But the dragon was not so easily defeated. It lashed out with its tail, sending Jack flying across the warehouse like a rag doll. He landed hard, the wind knocked out of him, but he was not one to stay down for long. He rolled to his feet, his eyes blazing with determination.

      The dragon bellowed and lunged at him, its claws extended like the talons of a vulture. But Jack was ready. He ducked and rolled, agile as a cat, and he snatched the ketchup bottle from the dragon's claws just as it flew past. The dragon roared in anger, but Jack had already raced back out onto the street with the ketchup bottle in his hand, disappearing into the night like a ghost.

      The battle was over, and the ketchup was secure.

      Defeated, the dragon slunk into the night, its tail dragging like a broken shadow. The heat of its body began to dissipate, leaving only the cold air of the abandoned warehouse behind. Its scales, once gleaming like polished obsidian, were now dull and lifeless, as though the fire within had been extinguished.

      As it crept through the outskirts of the city and returned to the wilderness from whence it came, the fair maidens breathed a collective sigh of relief, their hearts beating just a little faster at the sight of the dragon receding into the distance.

      The dragon's threat that had hung over them like a dark cloud, casting a pall over their lives and their happiness, was now ended, and they could feel the weight lifting from their shoulders.

      The dragon had been defeated and now they could face the world in all of its majesty. They knew that they were safe, and that the city was once again their home.

      As the sun rose the next morning, casting its golden light over the streets, the fair maidens walked through the city with their heads held high, their laughter ringing out like birdsongs, their eyes sparkling with life and hope.

      The bottle of ketchup, now safely returned to the shelf by Detective Jack "Rain" Rainsford, was a symbol of their salvation. For without his intervention, the dragon's plans to feast on the fair maidens would have come to fruition, and the city would have been plunged into chaos.

      For Jack, this battle was over. But he knew that there would always be another threat around the corner, another mystery to solve, another bad guy to bring to justice. And he was ready for whatever came next. For the city was a jungle, and he was the king of the concrete jungle.

      Comment

      • Frank Cox
        Film God
        • Jan 2020
        • 2314
        • Melville Saskatchewan

        #48
        The Angel in the Alley
        by Frank Cox

        In the heart of the gritty city, where the neon signs glowed like the eyes of a ravenous beast, and the shadows danced like specters of the past, a weather-beaten detective known as Jack "Rain" Rainsford was making his nightly rounds. The concrete under his feet echoed with the footsteps of a thousand tales, each one a testament to the city's dark heart.

        The alley where Jack first met the angel was a narrow, winding passageway that seemed to stretch on forever. It was a place where the shadows seemed to grow darker and the air grew colder, as if the very walls of the city were trying to keep it hidden from the world.

        The alley was an ancient lane and the cobblestones underfoot were uneven and slick with rain; the smell of rotting garbage hung heavy in the air. The buildings that lined the alley were old and decrepit, their windows boarded up and their doors locked tight. It was a place where the rats scurried and the cats hissed, where the only sounds were the distant wail of a siren and the soft patter of rain on the nearby buildings.

        When Jack turned the corner and saw the angel, she was huddled in a fetal position behind a dumpster near a dilapidated fence, her wings shattered and crushed, her white robe dirty and tattered. Her once-radiant wing feathers were matted with dirt and grime. Her face was bruised and swollen, her eyes as dark as a city night. She was a fallen angel, a once-proud being now reduced to nothing more than a wounded, battered creature.

        Jack felt a pang of sympathy in his hardened heart, a feeling he had not felt in a long time. He could see the pain in her eyes, the fear that gripped her like a vice. And he knew that he could not just walk away and leave her there.

        He approached her slowly, his hand resting on the butt of his gun, his eyes scanning the alley for any signs of danger. But as he got closer, he saw that there was no one else there, no one else who would hurt this fragile, broken soul. And so, he knelt beside her, his gaze never leaving her face.

        "What happened to you, missy?" he asked, his voice low and gravelly. She looked up at him, her eyes filled with tears.

        "I was attacked," she said, her voice barely a whisper. "A demon stole my halo and left me for dead."

        She looked up at him, her eyes filled with a mixture of fear and sudden hope. "You're Detective Rain. I've heard of you. Your name is known in certain places that I dare not mention. I need your help, Jack Rain. I can't face this demon alone."

        Jack, a man of few words and fewer emotions, felt a surge of anger, a fire burning in his belly.

        "Come on then, missy" he said, offering her a hand. "We've got work to do." And together, they set off into the darkness, the city's shadows closing in around them as they sought out the demon that had caused this angel so much pain.

        The hunt for the demon was a difficult and treacherous one. They navigated the labyrinthine streets, dodging the snakes of the city - the pickpockets, the con men, the thugs - but the city's denizens, fearful of the demon's wrath, were tight-lipped and uncooperative, refusing to speak to Jack and the angel about the whereabouts of the demon.

        Jack, a man who was used to getting what he wanted, found this frustration maddening. But the angel, with her compassionate and patient nature, kept him focused, pushing him forward even when the trail seemed to have gone cold.

        Days turned into weeks, and still they searched, scouring the city from top to bottom, following every lead and every rumour. They questioned the lowlifes and the criminals, the beggars and the streetwalkers, but no one seemed to know anything about the demon or its whereabouts.

        But then, one day, they finally got a break. A young boy, wide-eyed and scared, approached them in a seedy bar on the outskirts of the city. He spoke in a hushed voice, his eyes darting nervously around the room. "I know where the demon is," he said. "I saw it, I swear. In an old lumberyard, on the edge of the city."

        Jack's eyes lit up, his heart racing with excitement. "That's all we need to know," he said, with a dangerous look in his eyes. "Let's go."

        The lumberyard was a place of decay, the wooden structures rotting and falling apart, the air thick with the smell of mold and mildew. It was a place where the ghosts of the past seemed to linger, their whispers echoing through the empty halls.

        Jack and the angel approached the lumberyard cautiously. Jack drew his gun, a heavy revolver, from under his coat and held it in his hand.

        "A gun won't be of any use in a fight against a demon," the angel whispered.

        They crept through the darkness, moving as silently as possible, their footsteps muffled by the muddy earth beneath their feet. As they moved deeper into the yard, they could feel the weight of the demon's presence, its malevolence seeping into the very air around them.

        Finally, they came upon a large, abandoned warehouse in the center of the abandoned lumberyard, its doors hanging off their hinges, its windows shattered and shards of glass spread on the ground, shining in the dim illumination from a distant streetlight, the only one on the block that wasn't broken and hadn't been stolen. They could hear the sound of movement inside, a low, guttural growl that sent a shiver down Jack's spine.

        "That's it," the angel whispered, her voice barely audible. "That's where the demon is."

        And with that, they pushed open the door and stepped into the darkness, ready to face whatever awaited them inside.

        Jack and the angel entered the demon's lair, a place of twisted iron and shattered glass. The air was thick with the stench of brimstone and decomposition and the demon waiting for them, a monstrous figure with eyes red as the city's streetlights and burning with malevolence, its body twisted and grotesque. It stood tall and imposing, malignant power radiating from it like a storm cloud.

        The angel stepped forward, her damaged wings spreading wide, her eyes filled with determination. "You have taken what is rightfully mine," she said, her voice echoing through the warehouse. "I demand that you return my halo and leave this place forever."

        The demon laughed, a sound that was as cold and empty as the void itself. "You brought a mortal to help you? You think a mortal could possibly defeat me?" it sneered. "You and all of your kind are but a fleeting spark in the universe, a nothingness that means nothing."

        But the angel was not deterred. She charged at the demon, her fists flying, her wings beating against the foul air like a moth battling against an inferno. The demon tried to swat her away, its claws leaving deep gouges in the wooden floor, but the angel was relentless, her determination unyielding.

        Jack watched from the shadows, holding tightly to the grip of his revolver. He knew that he could not interfere, that this was a battle that the angel had to fight on her own. But he could feel the weight of the demon's power, the darkness that seemed to be suffocating the air around them, the heat and the gloom squeezing his chest and making it difficult to breathe.

        The battle raged on, the angel's wings a blur as she dodged and weaved, her fists connecting with the demon's hide, each strike echoing like a shot from a .45 in the dead of night. Jack could see the demon's power waning, until, with a final desperate lunge, the angel seized the halo and threw it to Jack. He caught it easily, his reflexes honed by years of danger and violence.

        As Jack held the halo, he felt a warmth spread through his body, a feeling of well-being that he had never experienced before. It was as if the halo was infused with the very essence of goodness and light, filling him with a sense of serenity and contentment.

        The demon let out a blood-curdling scream, a sound filled with fear and rage. It cried out that it could never be defeated, that it was invincible, but its words were drowned out by the sound of its own disappearance.

        The air seemed to brighten and the darkness receded before the light of the halo.

        "I believe this is yours," Jack said, holding out the halo to the angel.

        She took it from him, her fingers trembling slightly as she touched the golden metal and placed it on her head.

        The angel's wings began to heal, the tattered remnants mending themselves before Jack's very eyes. Her wings shone like the sun, her body glowed with an ethereal light, and she was instantly restored to her former beauty.

        The angel's voice changed, transforming from a soft, gentle whisper to a heavenly choir. The contrast was astonishing, a stark reminder of the power of the halo and the angel's divine nature.

        As she stood there, radiant and beautiful, Jack felt a strange sense of peace wash over him. He had seen many things in his time, but never a sight quite like this.

        As they walked out of the lair, the angel turned to Jack, her eyes filled with gratitude. "Thank you, Jack Rainsford," she said, her voice a lullaby. "I could never have done it without you."

        Jack grunted, his gruff exterior hiding the warmth in his heart. "I've seen a lot of stuff over the years, missy," he said, "But I've never seen an angel before. You are truly a sight to behold."

        And with that, they walked off into the night, the city's shadows receding before them, the darkness giving way to the first light of dawn. The city would continue to be a place of sin and sorrow, but for one brief moment it had been touched by something pure and untainted. Jack "Rain" Rainsford had been reminded that there was more to the world than the grime and the gutter.

        Comment

        • Frank Cox
          Film God
          • Jan 2020
          • 2314
          • Melville Saskatchewan

          #49
          My Fairy Godmother
          by Frank Cox

          I'm a gumshoe in a city where the rain never stops falling, a town where the shadows hide secrets better than a fox in a henhouse. But today, the city seemed to be working against me. The post office was on strike, and I had a message that needed to be delivered, a message that could crack a case wide open. It was a ticking time bomb, but there was no mailman to send it on its way.

          I paced my office, my mind racing, trying to figure out what to do. The post office was closed, I'd hit a dead end. The joint was shut tight and I was out of options.

          I slammed my fist into my desk, the wood cracking like a whip.

          That's when it hit me, like a bolt of lightning. My fairy godmother, she was the answer. She'd always come through for me, even when it seemed like there was no way.

          So I picked up the old rotary phone, the receiver heavy in my hand, and dialed a number as familiar to me as the back of my hand; a number that would open a door to the unseen world. My fairy godmother answered with a sigh of annoyance.

          "What now, Sam?"

          I didn't waste any time getting to the point. "I need a message delivered," I said. "It's important."

          "You're asking me to be a messenger?", she said, her voice curt and exasperated.

          "I know. But this is important, and the post office is on strike. I need this message delivered."

          She sighed again, a sound like a long-suffering saint. "Alright, I'll do it," she said, her tone softening. "But don't expect me to do this all the time."

          She hung up, and I knew she was on her way to save the day. I leaned back in my chair, the leather creaking like an old ship, and let out a breath I didn't realize I'd been holding.

          She flitted through the door like a wisp of smoke, her wings glinting in the dim light of my office. The city's grime didn't stick to her, just as it never seemed to stick to me. She gave me a sideways look, her eyes as sharp as a razor, "I'm no postman, Sam."

          I smiled at her and held out the message. "You're my fairy godmother. That makes you a lot more than a postman."

          She let out a disdainful huff and took the message from my hand. Without another word, she disappeared into the night, leaving me alone with my thoughts and the ticking clock.

          My fairy godmother, she's a funny one, always watching over me like a mother hen. She's as small as a sparrow, with wings that shimmer like stardust. Her hair is as white as snow, and her eyes are as blue as a summer sky. She's as crotchety and grumpy as I am, but there's a soft spot in her heart, a spot just for me.

          And when the world seems like it's against me I know I can count on her to be there, watching my back, and making sure I come out on top. That's a comfort I wouldn't trade for anything.

          She's my fairy godmother, and I couldn't ask for anything more.

          Comment

          • Frank Cox
            Film God
            • Jan 2020
            • 2314
            • Melville Saskatchewan

            #50
            A Breath of Fresh Air
            by Frank Cox

            In the heart of a city as black as a raven's wing, where the air was thick with the stench of corruption and heavy with smoke, there walked a detective as hard as the steel in a bank vault's door. His name was Jack "Rain" Rainsford, a man who'd seen the worst this world had to offer and still asked for more, like a gambler with a taste for high-stakes poker. He strode through the streets like a ghost in the fog, his footsteps barely audible amid the relentless clouds of smoke that filled the air like a suffocating blanket. The city was a symphony of sirens, the cacophony of horns, and the distant thud of a gunshot, but above all, it was the ever-present haze of smoke that defined its unique rhythm.

            As Jack made his way through the city, the smoke seemed to thicken, wrapping around him like a shroud, as if the city itself was trying to keep him from escaping its smoky embrace. The smoke clung to his clothes, making him feel as though he was drowning in a sea of ashes, and he idly wondered if the city's factories had stepped up production, or if there was some other reason for the increased smoke.

            As he strode through the winding streets, he stumbled upon a sight that made him pause, even in the midst of the smoky chaos. His jaded eyes widened: a dragon, a fire-breathing beast of legend and myth. But this wasn't just any dragon, it was a creature in pain. Its scales glistened with sweat, its eyes were wide and filled with tears. It coughed and wheezed, clawing at its eyes, writhing in discomfort. The dragon's breaths came in ragged gasps and its wings hung limp at its sides, as if the very weight of the smoke was too much to bear.

            Jack's heart went out to the beast, his curiosity piqued.

            "What's the matter with you, big fella?" Jack asked, his voice as rough as the gravel underfoot. "Can't stand the smoke?"

            The dragon looked up at him, its eyes wide and filled with pain and desperation, and let out a plaintive roar. "I'm cursed," it croaked, its voice like the crackle of a dying fire. "This city, it's always been smoky, and I can't breathe. Every time I inhale, my lungs burn like a match caught in a gust of wind."

            Jack's heart went out to the dragon, a creature so fierce and yet so vulnerable. He had never seen a dragon allergic to smoke before and he knew that he had to help. He swore an oath, right there on the spot, to find a way to clear the smoky air in the city and give the dragon a chance to breathe freely once more.

            And so, Jack "Rain" Rainsford, hardboiled detective, embarked on a new case that would test his mettle and push him to the limits of his abilities. It was a task as daunting as scaling a mountain, but Jack was never one to back down from a challenge.

            As he delved deeper into the mystery of the smoky city, he followed leads and clues as hot as the dragon's breath, tracking down factory owners and the gangs that ran the streets, but nobody seemed to know the source of the smoke that plagued the city, though everyone agreed it was far worse lately than it had ever been before.

            As the days turned to weeks, and the weeks to months, Jack began to feel the weight of his promise. The dragon's coughing grew worse, and its eyes became sunken and sad. Jack knew he was running out of time, but he refused to give up. He sifted through the evidence and finally unearthed the buried truth, the hidden puzzle piece that fit the jigsaw of his investigation.

            It was a humble barbecue joint that ultimately proved to be the source of the smoke.

            The owner, a burly man with a bushy moustache and a belly that threatened to burst his apron, greeted Jack with a surprised look when the detective walked into his establishment. "Can I help you, Detective Rain?" the man asked warily, wiping his hands on his apron.

            Jack eyed the smokestack that rose from the building, the clouds of smoke pouring forth like a river of ash, and drilled the man with a hard stare. "That smoke you're putting out there, it's causing a problem," Jack said, his voice as gritty as sandpaper, a sound that could strip paint off the wall. "I need you to cut it out, and stop creating so much smoke over the city."

            The barbecue joint owner looked taken aback, but Jack could see the wheels turning in his mind. "I understand, Rain, but I gotta smoke my meats," the man said, his voice shaking with agitation. "It's my livelihood."

            Jack sighed, running a hand through his hair. "I know it's your livelihood, but you're suffocating the city with your smoke. There's a dragon in the city, and he's allergic to it. I need you to find another way to cook your meats, or I'm afraid I'll have to shut you down."

            The barbecue joint owner nodded, his eyes wide with fear. "Ok, Detective. I'll find another way. I promise."

            Jack left the establishment, feeling a sense of satisfaction as he walked back out into the smoky air. He knew he had done what he could to help the dragon and the city, and he hoped that the barbecue joint owner would keep his promise.

            At daybreak, Jack watched as the city's air began to clear, the smoke dissipating like a fog lifting in the morning sun.

            He was startled to see a figure approaching him from the shadows, a figure that made his heart race and his palms grow slick with sweat. It was the dragon, the fiery creature he had met months ago, its scales shimmering like molten gold, its eyes bright and filled with gratitude.

            "Thank you, Detective," the dragon said, its voice as strong as a lion's roar, a mighty sound that commanded attention. "I can breathe now, and I am no longer in pain. You have saved me, and the city, from the smoky curse."

            Jack felt a warmth spread through his chest, a warmth that made him feel as though he was floating on air.

            "It was my pleasure, old friend," Jack said with a nod. "I'm just glad I could help."

            He walked away from the scene, his hat low on his forehead, his heart light, and his eyes fixed on the horizon where the sun was just beginning to rise.

            A new day was dawning in a city that was a little brighter, a lot less smoky, and a whole lot more wonderful.

            Jack "Rain" Rainsford had saved the day once more, proving that even in a city as tough as nails, there was room for compromise, understanding, and a little bit of barbecue.

            Comment

            • Frank Cox
              Film God
              • Jan 2020
              • 2314
              • Melville Saskatchewan

              #51
              I told Google AI to make me into a hardboiled detective and this is what I got:
              frankcox-ai.png
              I gotta say, that's pretty impressive.

              Comment

              • Frank Cox
                Film God
                • Jan 2020
                • 2314
                • Melville Saskatchewan

                #52
                The Songbird
                by Frank Cox

                In the guts of a neon-lit metropolis there stood a nest of corruption known as The Black Orchid. The speakeasy was a meeting place for the city's underbelly, a melting pot of smoke, booze, and sin, offering a dizzying array of vice and depravity. A nightclub that catered to the degenerate and corrupt, where cheap liquor flowed endlessly and secrets spilled like blood on the dance floor. It was a place where the dregs of society came to drown their sorrows and forget their troubles.

                It was here that a grizzled old detective named Jack "Rain" Rainsford strode in, his eyes as cold as a winter storm and his heart as black as midnight oil.

                The air was thick with the scent of cheap perfume and sweat, the sound of a saxophone wailing like a soul in torment. Amidst the cacophony, a single voice rose above the din, a voice as smooth as velvet and sweet as a summer breeze. It belonged to a songstress named Bianca, the star attraction of The Black Orchid, a siren whose notes could make a sailor forget his wife and home.

                Jack, a man who had seen the worst of the world, was no stranger to beauty. But Bianca was different, her voice a talon that dug deep and tugged at the heartstrings. He found himself drawn to her, like a moth to a flame, and so he made his way through the throng, his eyes locked on her, like a compass pointing true north.

                As he approached the stage, he could feel the heat of the spotlight, a warm embrace that seemed to burn away the grime of a thousand cases.

                For in the heart of The Black Orchid stood a vision of ethereal beauty.

                Bianca, a vibrant yellow canary with feathers that glowed like the midday sun. Her eyes were as dark as midnight, pools of mystery that seemed to hold a thousand secrets, and she wore a sequined dress that hugged her tiny form, emphasizing her grace and poise. The dress sparkled and twinkled with every movement she made, adding an extra layer of glamour to her performance.

                Bianca perched on top of her gilded cage, a masterpiece of craftsmanship that seemed to belong in a museum rather than a cheap joint like The Black Orchid. The cage was adorned with intricate carvings of flowers and vines, and the bars were painted a rich, golden colour. It was a cage fit for a queen, and Bianca, with her regal bearing, seemed to embody the very essence of royalty.

                The cage was set on a small platform, raised above the crowd, and a single spotlight illuminated Bianca, casting a warm, golden glow over her. It was a stage designed to showcase her beauty, to make her the center of attention, and it worked. For when Bianca sang, her voice rising above the din of the club, all eyes were on her, and all hearts were captivated by her magic.

                "Evening, ma'am," Jack drawled, his voice gravelly and deep. "It's a pleasure to hear you sing. You're the best thing going in this place."

                Bianca, surprise flickering in her eyes, cocked her head to one side, "Thank you for the kind words, Mister..."

                "Jack," he replied, extending a calloused hand. "Jack Rain. I'm just passing through. Figured I'd catch your set."

                Bianca smiled, a flash of colour in the sultry light. "Well, you picked the right night. I've been workin' on a new song. Gonna sing it for the first time tonight."

                Jack's interest was piqued. "Is that so? Care to share a bit of it with me?"

                Bianca hesitated, then nodded. "I guess I could. It's about dreamin', you see. About wantin' more than just singin' in a dive like this."

                As Bianca sang, her voice soared, a haunting melody that echoed through the club. Jack found himself lost in the words, in her dreams. He saw a world beyond the grime and the squalor, a world where a girl like Bianca could fly free, unchained from the gilded cage that held her captive.

                Her eyes closed as she sang, lost in the music, and her voice trembled with emotion, each note a testament to her passion. It was a performance that would leave even the hardest of men spellbound, a performance that spoke of dreams and freedom, of a world beyond the steel and concrete jungle, a world where the sky wasn't a steel grey canvas and where her wings could spread wide and fly.

                She swayed and moved with the song, her body a living, breathing instrument that came alive under the spotlight.

                When she finished, the room was silent, save for the sound of a single tear falling to the ground. Jack found himself moved, something he hadn't felt in a long time.

                "You've got a voice that could melt iron, Bianca. I hope you find the freedom you're looking for."

                With a small, sad smile, she replied, "I hope so too, Jack Rain."

                As the night wore on, Jack watched Bianca, her dreams burning bright in her eyes. He couldn't help but feel a sense of kinship, of understanding. They were both caged birds, trapped in a place where the air was thick with the stench of greed and the weight of despair, but dreaming of a better future.

                And as Jack left the Black Orchid, he knew that he would never forget Bianca, the canary who sang of dreams and freedom. For in that smoky den of iniquity, he had found a glimmer of hope, a reminder that even the darkest nights could give way to a new dawn.

                Comment

                • Frank Cox
                  Film God
                  • Jan 2020
                  • 2314
                  • Melville Saskatchewan

                  #53
                  End of Watch
                  by Frank Cox

                  I've been on patrol for thirty years, a badge that's outlived the city's neon dreams and the bad guys who thought they could beat it. I never expected to be the one who'd fall into a trench of my own making.

                  The night was black as a bruise, the kind you see only in old war pictures. The streetlamps threw long, sickly yellow shadows over cracked sidewalks and flickered like dying fireflies. I knew that glow; I've seen it many times before on nights when the rain hit the pavement hard enough to sound like a drumbeat.

                  And now, in the heart of the city's grit, under a moon that's seen more blood than a butcher's block, I find myself sprawled on this cold, unforgiving asphalt.

                  Just moments ago, I ambled along, the shadows my faithful companions, the echoes of my footsteps the only sound in this forsaken night. Then, like a viper lurking in the weeds, one of those damn kids, those lost souls that I swore to protect, struck. A flash of steel, a deafening bang, and pain that filled the entire universe.

                  And now I'm staring up at the sky, my existence slipping through my fingers like grains of sand.

                  The world doesn't feel real for me anymore. It's like watching your own life on a loop, every scene already written.

                  I'm breathing, though it feels like a shallow gasp from a drowning man. My thoughts are a blur of memories: the first time I'd put on a badge, the night I'd taken down a killer in a cramped basement, the day my wife left with a suitcase and a letter that said "I'm sorry." All those moments rolled together, like a film reel spun too fast.

                  There was no one there to stop him. No sirens blaring in the distance because this part of town didn't get the city's attention when something went wrong. The street lights flickered as if they were tired, and the world did nothing at all.

                  "Hey--" I tried to shout, but my voice was a thin line between life and death, like a paper cut that won't heal. My hand slipped toward my holster, fingers closed around an old service revolver that had seen more nights than I did. But it felt useless now; the gun didn't care if I pulled it or not.

                  I remember the faces of those kids, their eyes wide with fear, their hearts hardened by a world that's chewed them up and spit them out. I remember their laughter, their dreams, their hopes. And I wonder if any of it mattered. If any of the long nights, the endless battles, the sweat and the blood, if any of it made a difference in their lives.

                  I reached out to them, tried to show them a better path, a brighter future. I saw the spark in their eyes, the flicker of hope, but it seems that spark was nothing more than a dying ember, easily snuffed out by the cold, cruel winds of this city.

                  Now as the darkness closes in, I can't help but feel that I've failed. That I've let them down. That I've let myself down. The city that was my home, my fortress, my family, now stands as a tomb, a monument to all the lives that have been lost, to all the dreams that have been shattered.

                  As I stand on the precipice, looking out over the abyss, I know I didn't do this job for accolades, for recognition, or for fame. I did it because it was the right thing to do. Because I believed in something bigger than myself, something greater than the darkness that threatens to consume us all.

                  And so, as I take my final breaths, I wonder if maybe, just maybe, I made a difference. That the lives I touched, the hearts I changed, will carry on and continue to fight for what's right, even when the darkness seems insurmountable.

                  The rain falls over me like a curtain, soft and relentless. I feel my life slipping away in slow motion, each heartbeat a reminder that I'd never be able to turn back the clock or fix what had been broken.

                  And as the city lights dim around me and the night swallows my last breath, I realize that some endings aren't a crime scene. They're just a final drop of ink on a page nobody ever reads.

                  I'm not going to get to finish this story because I'm already done with it.

                  Rest in peace, my brothers and sisters.

                  Comment

                  • Frank Cox
                    Film God
                    • Jan 2020
                    • 2314
                    • Melville Saskatchewan

                    #54
                    A Giant Problem
                    by Frank Cox

                    The case started out like an Abbott and Costello sketch. I was sitting in my office contemplating the movement of raindrops as they flowed down my window when the phone rang. The discordant jangle shattered the peace and quiet that I had been enjoying up to that point.

                    I impatiently grabbed the receiver before it could ring a second time and an excited voice gabbled into my ear, "Help us, we have a giant problem."

                    Well, I'm here to take care of difficult situations so I said, "Ok, what's the trouble then?"

                    "It's a giant problem!"

                    And that's not getting me anywhere.

                    "You already told me that," I said, keeping a tight grip on my annoyance.

                    "Oh! I mean we have a problem with a giant, destroying the city. It's right over here on the west side, challenging you to step up and do battle with it."

                    I hung up the phone, lit up a cigarette, and stared out the window at the rain-soaked streets of this city that never sleeps. The voice I just heard was that of a worried man, and I could tell by the tremble in his tone that this wasn't your garden-variety runaround.

                    I grabbed my fedora and trench coat, slung my .45 on my hip, and this time I brought a sword. I don't typically tote a sword, but there are times when it's essential to have one on hand. There are some situations where you need a sword, and when you need one you really need it.

                    I made my way out into the rainy night, heading for the address I'd been given. As I trudged down the wet sidewalks, the city seemed to close in around me, the neon lights casting long, dancing shadows on the black pavement. I could feel the weight of the problem pressing down on me, like a heavy fog settling in my chest.

                    When I arrived at the scene, I found a crowd of people gathered around a massive hole in the ground, the remnants of a once-proud building. A group of policemen were trying to keep the crowd back, but their efforts were in vain. I pushed my way through, my boots crunching on broken glass and debris.

                    There, standing tall as a skyscraper, was the giant. He was a fearsome sight to behold, his giant body covered in coarse, thick fur, his eyes burning like embers. I could feel the ground shake beneath my feet as he stomped around, causing buildings to tremble and people to scream.

                    I took a deep breath, straightened my hat and steadied my nerves, and stepped forward. "Hey there, big fella," I called out, hoping my voice sounded steady and confident. "I hear you've been looking for me."

                    The giant turned to face me, a look of surprise on his face. "You're the one they call Jack the Giant Killer?" he asked, his voice deep and rumbling. "You don't seem like much, given your size. I want Jack the Giant Killer."

                    I nodded. "I don't know about the Giant Killer part, but my name is Jack. Jack Rainsford. People call me Rain. And I'm here right now to put an end to this mess you've made."

                    The giant laughed, a sound like thunder echoing through the city. "You really are rather weak and small. You think you can take me down?" he said, his eyes gleaming with challenge.

                    I didn't answer, just drew my gun and aimed it at his giant head. "I'm gonna find out right about now," I said, and pulled the trigger.

                    The gun discharged with an ear-shattering crack, but the bullet bounced off the giant's thick skull, doing nothing but making him laugh even harder. I could feel the crowd closing in, their fear turning to anger. But I didn't let it get to me. I knew I had to protect the city from this creature, keep fighting until I could bring this giant down.

                    I reached under my trench coat and drew the polished sword, the silver blade gleaming in the dim light. The giant sneered, but I could see the flicker of doubt in his eyes. I charged forward, my sword flashing through the air, and we clashed, our bodies colliding with a force that shook the street.

                    The fight with the giant was a fierce and brutal battle, a clash of titanic forces in a dance of steel and fury. The giant, towering over me, swung its massive sword with the strength of a hundred men, the blade glinting wickedly in the moonlight. I parried and dodged, my smaller sword flashing through the air as I sought an opening to strike.

                    The giant's movements were slow and lumbering, but its strength was immense. I could feel the ground shake beneath my feet with each blow it struck, the earth trembling like a living thing. I knew that if I made a mistake, if I let my guard down for even a moment, I would be crushed beneath the giant's mighty arm.

                    I fought with all the skill and cunning I possessed, dodging and weaving, striking and parrying. The giant bellowed with each blow it landed, the sound echoing through the night and across the city like the roar of a thousand lions. But I did not falter, I did not waver. I knew that I had to keep pushing forward, keep fighting until I could find a weakness, a chink in the giant's armour.

                    The fight raged on for what felt like an eternity, a test of strength and will. But in the end, it was my determination that carried me through. I struck a fatal blow, and the giant fell, its body crashing to the ground with a deafening boom. The crowd erupted into cheers, relief washing over them like a tidal wave.

                    I stood there, my body battered and bruised, but my spirit unbroken. I had done it, I had taken down the giant and saved the city.

                    As I made my way back to my office, I couldn't help but feel a sense of satisfaction. I had faced down a monster and come out on top, and I knew that as long as there were problems to solve, I would be there to help.

                    Because that's what I do. I solve big problems.​

                    Comment

                    • Frank Cox
                      Film God
                      • Jan 2020
                      • 2314
                      • Melville Saskatchewan

                      #55
                      Blood on the Blacktop
                      by Frank Cox

                      In the shadows of a rain-soaked city, where the neon lights flickered like the eyes of a jaded god, the rain fell heavy, as if the heavens themselves were crying for the soul of a lost city. The streets were slick, a mirror of black asphalt reflecting the sordid lives of the denizens who called this urban jungle home.

                      Detective Jack "Rain" Rainsford, a man as hard as the whiskey he drank, and twice as deadly, stood on the edge of the city's underbelly, his weathered face etched with lines that told tales of battles long fought and won.

                      The rain fell like a relentless hammer, pounding the cobblestone streets of the city, as he stood over the lifeless form of a woman he knew all too well. Susan, a woman with a past as murky as the alley in which she lay, was now a silent specter, her eyes wide and lifeless, staring up at the heavens in a final plea for justice.

                      The sight of Susan, dead in the pouring rain, filled the detective with a sense of loss that was as deep and profound as the ocean, a sorrow that would remain with him for the rest of his days.

                      The woman had lived a hard life, a life filled with pain and suffering that she never seemed to be able to escape. She had been a criminal, a small-time thief who had made a living by preying on the weak and the vulnerable. But despite her criminal past, Jack had always had a soft spot for her, a feeling that he couldn't quite explain.

                      He had seen the sadness in her eyes, the desperation that had driven her to a life of crime. He had also seen the moments of kindness and compassion that had been hidden beneath her tough exterior, the times when she had reached out to help someone in need.

                      The alleyway was a dark and dank maze, the stench of decay and rain mixing with the faint scent of whiskey on Susan's breath. Jack's boots squished in the mud as he walked the length of the alley, his eyes scanning every corner, every shadow, searching for any clue as to what had happened. The rain continued to fall, washing away the evidence as quickly as it had washed away the hopes and dreams of a woman who had once been full of life.

                      Jack's mind raced as he tried to piece together the puzzle before him. He knew Susan's past, he knew the kind of trouble she got herself into, but this was something different. This was cold and calculated, a murder that had been planned and executed with precision. The detective's gut told him that this was no ordinary crime, this was personal.

                      As the rain continued to fall, he vowed to bring Susan's killer to justice, to make him pay for the life he had taken. He would follow the trail, no matter where it led, and he would not rest until he had brought the killer to justice.

                      Jack turned away from the alley, his eyes reflecting the determination that burned within him, as he set out on a journey that would take him deep into the heart of darkness, a journey that would test the limits of his resolve, and ultimately, his very soul.

                      "Say yur prayers, yuh flea-pickin' varmint!" Jack growled, his voice a low rumble that made the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end.

                      Jack wasn't one to be fooled by pretty faces or sweet words; he followed a trail of blood and broken dreams like a dog on the hunt. He knew that beneath the surface lay a cold, dark heart, and he would stop at nothing to tear it out and feed it to the wolves.

                      As he delved deeper into the city's underworld, Jack knew that the clock was ticking, and that the killer would strike again if he wasn't careful.

                      But Jack was no stranger to danger. He had faced down the devil himself and lived to tell the tale. He knew that the only way to catch a killer was to think like one, to get inside their head and feel the cold, calculating logic that drove them to commit such heinous acts.

                      And so, he stalked the streets like a ghost, a spectral figure that seemed to appear out of thin air and disappear just as quickly. He questioned the rats and the lowlifes, the hoods and the gangsters, offering them nothing but pain and suffering in exchange for the information he sought.

                      As the days turned into weeks, Jack found himself growing more and more obsessed with the case. He could see Susan's face in his mind's eye, her eyes filled with fear and pain as she took her last breath. He knew that he had to find her killer, to bring him to justice and make sure that he paid for what he had done.

                      Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, the pieces of the puzzle began to fall into place. He knew who the killer was, and where he could be found. But to catch him, he would have to go to the heart of the city's underworld, a place where the air was thick with the stench of death and the screams of the damned.

                      As he stepped into the dingy bar, Jack felt the weight of the city's sins pressing down on him, threatening to crush him like a bug beneath a boot. But he refused to give in, to let fear or doubt cloud his judgment. He was a man on a mission, and nothing could stand in his way.

                      The air was thick with the smell of cheap whiskey and stale cigarettes. The patrons looked up at him, their eyes filled with fear and suspicion, as if they knew that something dark and deadly had just walked in.

                      Jack made his way to the bar, ignoring the jeers and taunts of the lowlifes who called it home. He took a seat on a stool, his eyes scanning the room, searching for the telltale signs of the killer he sought.

                      It wasn't long before he spotted him, sitting in the corner, nursing a glass of cheap liquor, his face a mask of calm indifference. Jack felt a cold chill run down his spine, a feeling that told him that he was in the presence of pure evil.

                      "Well, well, well," the killer said, his voice smooth and oily, like the voice of a snake. "If it isn't Jack Rainsford. The big man himself. What brings you to my humble abode?"

                      Jack didn't respond, instead, he just stared at the killer, his eyes burning into him like a hot knife through butter. The killer smirked, a cruel, mocking smile that sent a shiver down Jack's spine.

                      "You've come to play games, have you?" the killer said, his voice dripping with contempt. "Well, let me tell you something, pal. This isn't a game. This is real life, and I'm the king of this jungle. You can't touch me, no matter how hard you try."

                      Jack didn't say a word, instead, he just stood up, his fists clenched at his sides, ready to strike. The killer laughed, a cold, empty sound that echoed through the bar like the tolling of a death bell.

                      "Go ahead, big man," he said, his voice taunting. "I'm waiting."

                      Jack didn't need any more encouragement. With a roar of pure rage, he charged across the room, his fists flying like a whirlwind. The patrons scattered like roaches, fleeing from the violence that was about to erupt.

                      The fight was brutal, a battle of fists and feet that left the bar a wreck. Jack fought like a man possessed, his every punch and kick filled with the anger and frustration that had been building inside him for days.

                      In the end, it was all over in a explosion of blood and pain. Jack leaned against the wall, his chest heaving, his body slick with sweat. The killer lay at his feet, gasping for breath like a fish out of water.

                      The bar was silent, the patrons too scared to make a sound.

                      Jack felt a strange sense of satisfaction, a feeling that he had done what needed to be done. But he knew that the city would never truly be safe, that the darkness that lurked within its heart would always threaten to consume it whole.

                      "Say yur prayers, yuh flea-pickin' varmint," Jack murmured, his voice a low rumble that sent a shiver down the spine of anyone who heard it. "You're gonna need them, where you're going."

                      And with that he turned and walked away, leaving the city and its demons behind, knowing that he would always be ready to come back, to fight again and again, until the city was safe once more.
                      ​

                      Comment

                      • Frank Cox
                        Film God
                        • Jan 2020
                        • 2314
                        • Melville Saskatchewan

                        #56
                        The Phone Booth
                        by Frank Cox

                        In the heart of the city, where shadows dance with the flicker of neon signs, stands a worn-out phone booth, a rusted relic caked with the grime of years, huddled in the corner like an old fighter clinging to the last remnants of his glory days. The moon, a harsh, cold spotlight, casts long, elongated shadows, painting the street in a monochrome palette of steel and charcoal. The wind whispers through the empty alleyways, carrying tales of forgotten pasts and secrets buried deep beneath the city's concrete heart.

                        Suddenly, the stillness is shattered by a piercing, echoing ring, bouncing off the frigid, unforgiving brick walls like a spectral shriek. The phone booth, silent and abandoned, springs back to life, its dull, rusted frame creaking in protest. The ringing, insistent and persistent, hangs in the air, a haunting melody that echoes the loneliness of the night.

                        The city, usually a cacophony of sounds, falls silent, listening, waiting. But the phone booth remains unanswered, the ringing growing more frantic, more desperate. The wind picks up, and cold raindrops splash against the concrete streets, gutters weeping like grief-stricken widows. The city weeps with the relentless persistence of a battered boxer, taking each blow but never going down.

                        The ringing continues, a ghostly lullaby in the heart of the city, a reminder of the unknown, the unheard, the forgotten. The phone booth echoes with the stories of those who came before, their voices trapped in the wires, seeking answers, seeking solace, but finding only the cold, unfeeling silence of the night.

                        The phone rings and rings, a lonely, mournful wail in the heart of the city. But nobody answers, and nobody cares. The bleak, unfeeling concrete and steel surrounds the phone booth, indifferent to the desperate plea for help, or the lonely, echoing silence that follows.

                        Who could it be? The phone's relentless ringing, a melancholy wail in the heart of the city, echoes through the empty streets, a question that hangs in the air like a heavy, unanswerable riddle. Is it a call for help, a desperate plea for mercy from a soul lost in the city's cold, unfeeling heart? Or is it a cry of triumph, a defiant shout from a spirit unwilling to be silenced, unwilling to be forgotten?

                        The phone booth, silent and abandoned, offers no clues, no answers, no hints at the identity of the mysterious caller. The rain beats down, a relentless, unyielding force, washing away any traces, any evidence, any hope of discovering the truth. The city, cold and uncaring, seems indifferent to the mystery, to the questions that linger in the air.

                        The sound of the ringing phone echoes through the streets and buildings like a ghostly lament, bouncing off the cold, unfeeling concrete and steel, reverberating through the empty alleyways and dark corners. The sound is haunting, insistent, persistent, a relentless melody that seems to penetrate the very soul of the city, a reminder of the unknown, the unheard, the forgotten.

                        The ringing is a low, hollow sound, a forlorn cry that carries the weight of a thousand unanswered calls, a thousand desperate pleas for help, a thousand cries of loneliness and despair. It is a sound that seems to resonate with the very heart of the city, a sound that seems to echo the cold, unfeeling nature of the city, a sound that seems to carry the weight of the city's dark soul.

                        Is someone searching for a lost love, a forgotten friend, a long-lost relative? Or is it something else, something more sinister, something more dangerous? The phone keeps ringing, but nobody knows, and the city remains silent, indifferent, unfeeling. The rain never stops, and the phone keeps ringing, a melody that tells the tale of a city where secrets are buried deep beneath the concrete, where mysteries remain hidden, where the unknown lurks in the shadows.

                        As the telephone continues to ring, the sound seems to grow louder, more frantic, more desperate, a haunting melody that seems to fill the air, a sound that seems to carry the echoes of the city's past, a sound that seems to tell the tale of a city where secrets are buried deep beneath the concrete, where mysteries remain hidden, where the unknown lurks in the shadows.

                        The ringing is a melody that echos through the empty streets, a reminder of the city's cold, unfeeling heart, a reminder of the forgotten, the lost, the unheard. It is a sound that seems to carries the weight of the city's dark soul, a sound that resonates with the very heart of the city, a sound that tells the tale of a city where the lonely cries of the phone booth echo through the empty streets where nobody cares at all.

                        The ringing finally ceases, leaving behind only the echo of its tumult, a chilling reminder of the mysteries that lurk in the dark corners of the city, unseen, unheard, but never truly forgotten. The phone booth, once again silent and abandoned, stands sentinel in the corner, a reminder of the past, a harbinger of the unknown, a manifestation of the city's dark soul.

                        The city is a hostile, uncaring place, where the rain never stops and the winds howl like spirits lost in the night. The streets are empty and silent, devoid of life, devoid of warmth, devoid of compassion. The neon signs flicker and dance, but they offer no comfort, no solace, no hope.

                        Nobody answers, and nobody cares. The phone booth stands alone, a testament to the city's forbidding nature, a reminder of the forgotten, the lost, the unheard.

                        The rain never stops and the city never changes. A cold, pitiless, unforgiving place where the lonely cry from a phone booth echoes through the empty streets, a tale of a city where nobody cares at all

                        Comment

                        • Frank Cox
                          Film God
                          • Jan 2020
                          • 2314
                          • Melville Saskatchewan

                          #57
                          The Web
                          by Frank Cox

                          In a world where shadows dance and whispers echo, I walked on the wild side with a gentleman's grace. That's when the spider, old as the devil and twice as sly, lured me with a sweet-as-honey voice, "Come into my parlour," said the spider to the fly.

                          For I was a fly of some repute and a gentleman of refinement, a slender figure with a trench coat flapping in the breeze, a fedora perched atop my head like a crown. A fly that could outmaneuver a cat, outwit a dog, and outsmart a man. I was a fly that had seen the world, a bold and brash adventurer, always on the lookout for a new conquest, a fly that knew the thrill of the chase and the joy of the victory. But I was also a fly that was always looking for the next big thing, the next thrill, the next adventure, and when the spider invited me into its parlour, I couldn't resist.

                          The alley was a narrow, dark passageway, a labyrinth of shadows and whispers, a world of its own tucked away from the bright lights and bustling crowds of the city. The cobblestones were slick with rain, the air heavy with the scent of damp and decay, the walls dripping with the remnants of a thousand stories, a thousand secrets.

                          As I flew down the dimly lit alley, gossamer wings shining in the moonlight, my trench coat flapping in the breeze and my fedora tilted at a rakish angle, I felt a sense of unease, a chill running down my spine, a creeping sense of foreboding that was as relentless as a stormy sea. The walls seemed to close in on me, the darkness pressing in. Yet, being a personage of a sporting nature, the spider's web was as alluring as a casino's bright lights, as tantalizing as a dame in a red dress at a nightclub.

                          I found myself intrigued, if not a mite cautious. But the spider spun its web with such virtuosity, each glimmering thread a temptation, a cobweb cathedral for a fly like me.

                          I knew it was a bad idea, I knew it was a trap, but the web was a tapestry of deception, woven with an artistry that spoke to the deepest, darkest parts of my soul. And so, despite my better judgment, I found myself flying towards the web, my wings buzzing like a starter's pistol at the beginning of a race, my heart pounding like a drum in my chest.

                          The attraction of the spider's web was as elusive as a mirage in the desert, yet as potent as the siren's call. It was a shimmering masterpiece, a labyrinth of intrigue that could make even the most hardened soul pause and stare. A delicate balance of strength and beauty, it was a testament to the spider's cunning and skill. It glimmered in the dim light, each strand a glistening thread of silver and gold, a spider's silk masterpiece that was as alluring as a gambling den in the heart of the city, as enticing as a woman in a low-cut dress at a speakeasy.

                          I knew that this was a mistake, a folly that I would regret, but I couldn't help myself, the lure of the spider's web was too strong, too alluring, too tempting. And so, with a heavy heart and a sense of foreboding, I flew towards the web, knowing that I was walking straight into the spider's trap, knowing that I was about to make a fatal mistake.

                          I hovered, circling the web like a fighter over the enemy's trench, my antennae twitching with suspicion. The web, a labyrinth of silken deceit, shimmered in the dim light, a cobweb cathedral, a gilded cage for unwary souls. But the spider, ever the charmer, beckoned me closer with a wink and a twist of its eight-legged body.

                          The web was as intoxicating as a potent cocktail on a hot day, and I found myself drawn in, my wings fluttering like a gambler's heart at the card table.

                          I dived through the web, feeling each strand catch and pull, and the spider's web was a silken snare, a trap as old as time itself. The spider watched with cold, unblinking eyes, her body rippling with satisfaction. I kicked, I squirmed, I strained against the web, my wings buzzing like a police siren in a city under siege.

                          I'd show that spider, I thought, I'd show it that this fly ain't so easy to catch. But I knew, deep down, that I was already trapped, like a fish on a hook, like a bird in a cage, like a fool in the spider's web. And as the spider closed in, I couldn't help but wonder: would I ever learn to leave well enough alone, or would I always be drawn into the spider's parlour?

                          ​

                          Comment

                          • Frank Cox
                            Film God
                            • Jan 2020
                            • 2314
                            • Melville Saskatchewan

                            #58
                            The Web Part 2
                            by Frank Cox

                            In the heart of the city's underbelly, where the shadows dance with the neon lights, there resides a spinster of sorts, a silk-spinner of a different kind. She was known to the denizens as Madame Arachne, a bride of the shadows and a name that struck a chill in the bones of even the hardiest of men.

                            One night, a fly by the name of Flymoneous Saxton, a self-proclaimed playboy of the night, strutted through the city, his wings a-flutter, thinking he was the cat's pyjamas. The town was abuzz about his exploits at the nightclubs, his wins at the tables, and his knack for the fairer sex. He saw himself as the king of the nightlife, always surrounded by beautiful women and fancy drinks. He believed that his wealth and good looks gave him the right to take what he wants, whether it's a lady's heart or a casino's winnings. But Madame Arachne saw a mere pretender.

                            The web was located at the end of a dim alley, a narrow passageway that seemed to stretch on forever. The only illumination came from the distant streetlights and the occasional glimmer of moonlight that filtered through the cracks in the buildings.

                            It was a dark and foreboding place, the kind of place that most people would avoid at all costs. But Flymoneous Saxton, a fly who thought he was invincible, was drawn to the darkness. He had heard whispers of a mysterious entity who lived in the alley, a being who was rumoured to have a web that was the talk of the town.

                            As he ventured deeper into the alley, the air was thick with a sense of unease, and he could hear the distant sounds of the city, muffled and distant.

                            As Flymoneous Saxton fluttered into the corner where Madame Arachne awaited his presence, his eyes were drawn to a shimmering web seemed to dance in the dim light. The web was a sight to behold, a tapestry of silk and intrigue that seemed to call out to him.

                            As he approached the web, he could feel the hairs on his back standing on end. He could feel the eyes of the darkness watching him, but he didn't let it deter him. He was a fly of the world, one who had seen it all, and he wasn't about to let a little bit of darkness scare him away.

                            The web, that glistening mosaic of mysteries and enchantment, called out to him. He could see it, lustrous in the moonlight, a sight that seemed to beckon him closer.

                            The spider extended her invitation with a silken thread, "Come into my parlour, dear Flymoneous, and feast your eyes upon my latest creation. A web of beauty and intrigue, a masterpiece that will leave you breathless."

                            The fly, smitten by his own charm, couldn't resist the allure. He fluttered deeper into the alley, his eyes wide with admiration as he beheld the web. It was a sight to behold, a shimmering collage of questions and allure that seemed to dance and glow in the dim light.

                            The fly paused uncertainly. He loved to dabble in all of the vices of the night, from gambling to drinking to womanizing, and he was used to the flashy lights and the glamour of the nightclubs. This web seemed out of place. He hovered at the edge of the alley, unsure of whether to come closer.

                            Madame Arachne, sensing his hesitation, moved from the shadows, her voice as smooth as silk. "Come, dear Flymoneous," she cooed, her eyes sparkling with amusement. "I invite you to take a closer look at my latest creation. I assure you, it is a sight worth seeing."

                            The fly hesitated, his wings flickering with uncertainty. But something about the web, about the way it seemed to beckon him closer, drew him in. He took a step forward, his eyes never leaving the web as he slowly moved within reach.

                            Madame Arachne watched him with a smile, her spider senses tingling. She knew that this fly was a catch, a fly who thought he was the bee's knees, and she was determined to ensnare him in her web.

                            As Flymoneous drew closer, the web seemed to shimmer even more, inviting him in. The fly, blinded by his own vanity, didn't see the danger that lay before him. But Madame Arachne did, and she waited with bated breath, her silk threads at the ready.

                            The web was not just for show. As Flymoneous gasped and marvelled at its beauty, he was ensnared, the threads wrapping around him like a lover's embrace. He struggled, but it was too late. The game was up.

                            As the fly thrashed, Madame Arachne revelled in her victory. "You thought you were the top cat, didn't you, Flymoneous?" she purred, her voice as smooth as silk. "There's no way out and no escape from my web."

                            And with that, she left him there, a reminder to the denizens of the city that no matter how high one thinks he can fly, there's always someone waiting to bring them back down to earth.

                            Comment

                            • Frank Cox
                              Film God
                              • Jan 2020
                              • 2314
                              • Melville Saskatchewan

                              #59
                              The Fairy in Work Boots
                              by Frank Cox

                              In the heart of a city as dark and gritty as a coal miner's lung, where the neon signs flickered like fireflies in the fog, Detective Jack "Rain" Rainsford stalked the rain-slicked streets. Water dripped from the brim of his worn-out fedora and his trench coat, as black as a moonless night, swirled around him like a raven's wing, a testament to the shadows he navigated and the secrets he uncovered. His eyes, a piercing ice blue, glinted with the cold, hard wisdom of a man who had seen the best and the worst of humanity.

                              The rain fell in a relentless rhythm, drumming a mournful symphony on the cobblestones. The city seemed to weep beneath the weight of its own despair, a broken heart pulsating with the rhythm of the rain. It was shortly after dark on one of these dank, dismal nights that Rainsford found himself in a part of town he rarely ventured, where the whispers of the streets were as foreign as the dialect of a foreign land.

                              A figure emerged from the shadows, a silhouette against the neon glow of a seedy tavern. As she stepped into the light, Rainsford's eyes widened in astonishment. She was a vision, a dream, a fairy in work boots. Her wings, a riot of iridescent colours, sparkled like a thousand tiny jewels against the darkness. Her work boots, worn and battered, spoke of a life lived on the ground, not in the air.

                              "Detective Rainsford," she called. "I need your help."

                              "Well, missy, just look at you," Rainsford drawled, his voice as smooth as silk and as cold as steel. "I haven't seen a fairy in work boots before. What brings you to my neck of the woods?"

                              The fairy, her eyes as green as the emeralds he had once admired in a museum, tilted her head to the side, studying him with an intensity that made his heart race. "I'm looking for a man," she said, her voice as sweet as honey but with an edge that spoke of steel. "A man who's done me wrong."

                              Rainsford raised an eyebrow, intrigued. "And what makes you think I can help you find him?"

                              She smiled, a flash of white teeth in a face as pale as porcelain. "I have it on good authority that you're the best there is at finding people who don't want to be found."

                              With a sigh, Rainsford followed her into the tavern, the sound of her boots echoing on the worn wooden floor. The air was thick with the scent of whiskey and cigarettes, a foul brew that spoke of the lives lost in this city. He sat down at the table.

                              "Ok, we're here. Spill it, doll. What's the beef?"

                              And so it was that Rainsford undertook a mission for the fairy in work boots and began the search for the man who had broken her heart. This was a job like no other, a puzzle as twisted as a snake's nest. But if there was one thing Rainsford was good at, it was untangling the knots that others had given up on. With the rain still falling outside and the city bowing under the weight of its own anguish, weeping for all the world to see, he hit the pavement once more, setting into motion a systematic manhunt.

                              He'd been on the case since dusk, and now it was pushing midnight, but the clock was still ticking, and the city never sleeps.

                              The man had thought he could get lost in the city, but the detective knew its every alley and corner, making the man's game of hide-and-seek a futile endeavour.

                              Rainsford tracked him down on the desolate thoroughfare, a man as worn and weary as the city itself.

                              Rainsford ducked into the dilapidated phone booth at the intersection, the dial gleaming under the dim light, and began to crank. The line hummed and buzzed, the static whispering tales of a thousand conversations past. His thumb found the right number, and he punched it with a purposeful snap.

                              "Rainsford?" she said, her voice quivering with excitement. "Did you find him?"

                              "I did," the detective grumbled, his eyes never leaving the man on the sidewalk. "I'm looking at him right now. He's run out of road and he's right here in front of me."

                              There was a silence on the other end of the line, the sound of a fairy holding her breath.

                              "I'll be there as soon as I can," she whispered. "I hope I can do this."

                              Rainsford hung up the phone and approached the man. "You better come along with me, Mac. There's someone who wants to talk to you."

                              The man, his eyes as empty as a dead man's, said nothing. They walked together into the dim glow of a nearby street light.

                              The fairy in work boots, her wings sparkling like jewels, appeared on the sidewalk and stood before them, her eyes filled with anger and sorrow. The man, a tall, broad-shouldered figure with a face as hard as stone, stood in the indistinct glow, his eyes avoiding hers.

                              The air was thick with tension, the silence as deafening as a tomb. As minutes passed in silence, the man seemed to shrink beneath her gaze, his shoulders slumping as if he carried the weight of the world upon his shoulders. The fairy, her wings rustling like a storm, stared at him with a fierce intensity that seemed to pierce his very soul.

                              "Why?" she whispered, her voice as soft as a feather but filled with a raw, primal emotion. "Why did you do this to me?"

                              The man's eyes finally met hers, and for a moment, the city seemed to fade away, leaving only the two of them standing there, two wounded souls in a pool of darkness. "I... I don't know," he said, his voice barely more than a whisper. "I couldn't help myself. I was weak."

                              The fairy's eyes flashed with anger, her wings fluttering and flaring out like a tempest in the sky. "Weak?" she scoffed. "You're a coward, that's what you are. You couldn't face the truth, so you ran away."

                              The man's face contorted with pain, his eyes filling with tears. "I love you," he said, his voice cracking with emotion. "I always have. But I was afraid. I was afraid of what you would do to me, what you would take from me."

                              The fairy's eyes softened, her wings settling down around her like a comforting embrace. "I would never hurt you," she whispered, her voice filled with regret. "I would never take anything from you. I just wanted to share my life with you, to experience the world together."

                              The man's eyes filled with tears, and for a moment, it seemed as if he might break. But then, with a deep, shuddering breath, he stood up straight, his shoulders squared. "I can't do this," he said, his voice filled with resolve. "I can't be with you, not after what I've done. I'm sorry."

                              The fairy's eyes filled with liquid sorrow, tears shining like diamonds in the gloom. She turned and walked away, her boot heels clicking against the pavement and her wings shimmering in the reflected light. The man's heart seemed to shatter into a thousand pieces. For in that moment, he realized that he had lost something precious, something irreplaceable. As she passed from sight around the corner, he knew that he would never forget her, that she would forever haunt his dreams.

                              As the nights turned into days and the days into weeks, the man found that he couldn't escape her memory. He would see her in the shadows, a fleeting glimpse of wings and laughter, a reminder of the love that had once blazed like a fiery sun, casing a warm glow upon their world. And the man would walk the streets, haunted by the memory of the fairy in work boots, a woman who had captured his heart and then shattered it into a thousand pieces.

                              The years passed and the city changed, but the man would never forget the fairy, a beacon of hope in a sea of darkness, a reminder that there is always a glimmer of light, even in the darkest of times. And while he walked the streets he carried with him the memory of the fairy, a symbol of a love that had once burned brightly, but had been extinguished by the cold, hard reality of the world.

                              The fairy in work boots appeared beside Rainsford, her wings gleaming in the twilight.

                              "Thank you," she breathed, soft as a kitten. "You've helped me find the truth and peace of mind."

                              Rainsford grunted. "Don't thank me," he said, as cold as the city around them. "I'm just doing my job."

                              And with that, Rainsford turned and walked away, leaving the fairy in work boots standing in the shadows, a solitary figure in a city of broken dreams. The rain began to fall again, a mournful symphony that seemed to echo the sadness in her eyes. But she stood there, her shining wings a reminder that even in the heart of despair there is always a glimmer of light.

                              As for Rainsford, he disappeared into the night, a ghost in a trench coat, a man who had witnessed the heights of human kindness and the depths of human cruelty. As he walked away, he felt a sense of emptiness, a void that threatened to swallow him whole. But he pressed on, driven by a need to find the truth, to uncover the secrets that lay hidden in the shadows.

                              For Rainsford, the city was a labyrinth, a twisted maze that he had to navigate with a cold, calculating mind. And as he walked the streets, he wondered what more lay waiting for him in the darkness, what other secrets the city held that would test his resolve and push him to the brink.

                              Rainsford walked on, a dark and brooding presence in a sea of shadows, a man who will stop at nothing to find the truth no matter the cost. For in this city, there is one man who will probe the depths of mystery, unearthing the secrets that have been buried in the darkness. His name is Jack Rainsford.​

                              Comment

                              • Frank Cox
                                Film God
                                • Jan 2020
                                • 2314
                                • Melville Saskatchewan

                                #60
                                Here's my first attempt at a science fiction story.

                                Starfighter
                                by Frank Cox

                                In the heart of a world scorched by the twin suns, I see a solitary silhouette treading across the desert of an apocalyptic wasteland. The remnants of life cower in the shadows, their eyes wide with fear as they peer from behind reinforced airlocks. A menacing monolith, the Iron Tower, looms on the horizon, a titan amongst the ruins, shrouded in mystery and malice.

                                Its sinister form, a mere speck against the blasted landscape, stirs the pit of my stomach. The Tower guards a secret, a chilling tale of conquest and cruelty whispered throughout the inhabited planets. Within its cold, unyielding walls dwell the Conclave, puppeteers of a world subjugated, architects of despair. This is their fortress, their prototype, a grim blueprint for the domination of the cosmos.

                                I pilot the Starfighter, a weapon of unparalleled power and precision, a beacon of hope in a universe filled with darkness and despair. It is the embodiment of mankind's will to survive, a symbol of our refusal to bow before the tyranny of the Conclave.

                                The hum of the Starfighter's atomic engines fill my ears as I skim the ground, evading their radars, dancing through a ballet of death and destruction. Spewing volcanoes and negative-energy fields offer a deadly symphony of obstacles, while the Tower's defences await with cold, calculated efficiency.

                                Robot-controlled tanks prowl the wasteland, their eyes glowing with an unnatural light. The sky above is a swarm of warp-fighters, closing in from all directions, their weapons hot and eager. The ground bristles with automated radar towers, firing heat-seeking projectiles with the precision of a clockwork soldier. High-energy laser artillery anticipates my every move, a living nightmare bent on my destruction.

                                Outmatched and outnumbered, I have no choice but to trust in the shadows, to rely on the ghostly whisper of my Starfighter's stealth. I cannot retreat; the Tower calls to me, beckoning with the promise of a victory or a grave. For one is certain: Either the Tower or I shall never see another dawn.

                                As I dodge and weave through the maelstrom of weaponry, I can feel the icy grip of fear tightening around my heart. But fear is a luxury I cannot afford. The fate of millions hangs in the balance, and I will not let them down. I press on, my resolve hardening with each passing moment.

                                The Starfighter, a sleek and deadly predator, cuts through the air like a razor, its engines purring a symphony of power and precision. I slip between the teeth of the Tower's defences, my heart pounding in my chest as I draw closer to my quarry.

                                The air around me crackles with tension, the very atmosphere charged with anticipation. I can feel the malevolent presence of the Tower looming overhead, a shadow that stretches across the wasteland. The Conclave's grip on this world is strong, but it shall not hold me.

                                Adrenaline surges through my veins like liquid fire, igniting a spark of determination deep within me. The roar of the engines drowns out all thoughts other than destruction of the Tower.

                                I ram the throttle to the stops, feeling the Starfighter shudder and groan under the strain. The engines bellow with raw, untamed power and overload sensors begin to flash red and white on the control panel, a stark reminder of the danger I face. But I don't hesitate. Alarms blare in my ears like a dying man's scream, but I ignore them, focusing on the task at hand. This is the moment of truth -- the Starfighter will either make it through or explode and be swallowed into the cold, unforgiving void of space.

                                I have no choice. I have to succeed, for the sake of the mission and the lives of my comrades. I grit my teeth, steeling myself for the coming storm. The ship shudders once more, but I hold on tight, my knuckles white as I grip the controls.

                                The overload sensors continue to flash, brighter and brighter, but I press on, pushing the Starfighter to the breaking point.

                                As the Starfighter hurtles towards the Tower's impenetrable walls, the defences redouble their efforts, lasers lancing out to sear the sky.

                                But I am a phantom, a wraith that slips through the cracks.

                                I breach the Tower's outer defences, and for a moment, I am blinded by the brilliance of its inner workings. I can feel the hum of energy, the pulse of life that sustains the Conclave's rule. My heart races as I dive into the heart of the beast, my Starfighter a lone bullet aimed at the heart of the enemy.

                                The Iron Tower fights back with all the fury of a cornered animal, its defences a maelstrom of destruction. I weave and dodge through the hail of weaponry, my Starfighter a dance of death and survival. I am relentless, my determination unyielding.

                                I reach the heart of the Tower, the inner sanctum of the Conclave. The air hangs thick with smoke and the thunderous roar of antiaircraft fire. The atmosphere crackles like a whip in a storm, echoing through cold, steel canyons that seem to leer at me. The ground below me is slick with the sweat of fear, the rain of a thousand battles, and the blood of the fallen.

                                I swing the ship into a steep dive, the wind howling as the Starfighter judders under me. The Starfighter shrieks in protest, a piercing, keening sound that sends shivers down my spine, and twin torrents of fire erupt from the engines core. I grit my teeth and grip the controls tighter, bracing myself against the force of the storm, a tempest of fury that threatens to tear me from my ship and cast me into the abyss.

                                I can barely see through the thick clouds of swirling dust and debris, buffeting the ship and making it difficult to maintain my bearing. I grit my teeth and grip the controls tighter. The air is moving in strange, unpredictable patterns, and I have to constantly adjust my course to avoid being blown off track.

                                I feel the ship shaking with violent tremors beneath me, the vibrations shaking my bones.

                                The defences are fierce, a barrage of lasers and missiles that light up the sky like a deadly Fourth of July fireworks display. But I am determined, and I press on, weaving through the chaos with a precision born of years of combat.

                                Finally, I reach the tower's core, and I feel a surge of triumph. The ship heaves and buckles, but I hold on tight, tearing at the wheel, my muscles cracking with the effort of holding it on course. With a scream of defiance I release the photon bomb, a weapon of unimaginable power, and watch as it hurtles towards the ground. The enemy has no chance to react, and the bomb detonates.

                                The world around me explodes in a blinding flash of light and heat. The very air is set ablaze and the ground trembles like a living creature in pain. The sound of the explosion is deafening, a roar that shakes the very foundations of the planet.

                                A blast wave slams into the Starfighter like the hammer of the gods, and it bucks like a wild mustang.

                                The cockpit spins, blurs, fades into a haze of vivid colours, as the violent thrashing takes its toll on my body and mind. I'm losing control of the Starfighter.

                                I struggle to focus, to regain my bearings, to find my way back. My hands tremble, my vision dims, but I refuse to give in, refuse to let the darkness claim me. I claw my way back to consciousness, my body aching, my mind swimming in a sea of pain.

                                I can feel the Starfighter shuddering, the engines roaring like an out-of-control freight train. I'm riding a mad rollercoaster with a mind of its own. I have to act fast, I have to regain control of my senses before it's too late. I focus on the instruments in front of me, on the dials and gauges that would tell me everything I need to know if I could only manage to read them.

                                The surge passes and I feel the Starfighter stabilizing, the engines thundering behind me. With a supreme effort I reach out and drag the throttle back. The overload alarm slows and finally goes off.

                                The Starfighter is flying and the Iron Tower is destroyed.

                                I have won.

                                The sun sets upon the horizon, casting long shadows across the wasteland. The Conclave's grip on this world is broken, and the people can begin to rebuild. I have fulfilled my mission, and I can finally rest.

                                But my heart is heavy, for I know that my work is far from over. The Iron Tower may have fallen but the cosmos is a vast and unforgiving place. I am but a solitary sparrow in the storm and there's a hurricane out there

                                Comment

                                Working...