Frank's Story Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Frank Cox
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 2314
    • Melville Saskatchewan

    #106
    A "don't drink and drive" presentation for the school kids gave me this idea.

    Wings of Sorrow
    by Frank Cox

    In the murky heart of the midnight hour, a celestial observer hung in the ether. A solitary sentinel, he bore witness to a scene more tragic than the sound of a broken violin echoing through an empty concert hall. The angel's gaze fell upon a vista of wreckage, a symphony of shattered steel and twisted metal that was silent testimony to a life cut short, a life snuffed out in a moment of reckless folly.

    A young lass, no more than a tender blossom on the tree of life, lay sprawled amidst the debris, a monument to the cruel caprice of fate. Her hair, as golden as the midday sun, lay strewn across the asphalt in a pool of blood, and her eyes, dark pools of mystery and promise, stared up at the heavens, an empty plea for a mercy that could not be granted.

    The angel slowly descended from the heavens, his wings drifting gently through the night air. He moved to the side of the girl, his heart heavy with sorrow as he looked upon the broken form before him.

    He dropped to his knees by her side, his touch gentle as he traced the lines of her face, the delicate features that had once been filled with laughter and promise. He could feel the coldness of her skin, the stillness of her breath, and he knew that she was beyond help.

    The angel closed his eyes, a silent prayer on his lips as he mourned the loss of a young life, a life that had been cut short in a moment of imprudence. He felt a deep sense of sadness, a sorrow that came from knowing that this young girl had been lost to the world, her dreams and her laughter silenced by the cruel caprice of fate and a single rash decision.

    As he knelt by her side, the angel couldn't help but lament the circumstances that had led to her untimely death. He could see the emptiness of the road, the dark expanse that had swallowed her car, and he knew that all of this could have easily been avoided.

    If only she had not been drinking, if only she had not taken her car and driven off, this disaster would never have unfolded. The angel couldn't help but wonder what might have been, what dreams and aspirations this young girl had for her future, what laughter and love she would have brought into the world.

    But those hopes and ambitions were now just a distant memory, a fleeting whisper lost in the wind. The angel's heart ached, a gnawing emptiness that threatened to consume him, as he thought about the senseless loss of a young life, a life that had been cut short by a foolhardy moment of recklessness.

    He stayed by her side for a long while, his wings folded, conducting a silent vigil in the cold night air. He murmured words of comfort, of peace, and of forgiveness, but they fell on deaf ears, for this young girl was beyond hearing, beyond help.

    The stillness was broken by the sound of distant sirens, a mournful wail that echoed through the night. A sound that insists help is coming.

    But there is no one here to save.

    He looked up, his eyes following the lights as they approached, the flashing red and blue cutting through the dark like multicoloured knives. He knew that the rescue workers would do their best, that they would try to save her, but he also knew that it was too late, that the young girl was beyond help.

    The angel rose back into the air, his wings a whisper as they brushed against the night. He stood watch as the emergency vehicles arrived with screeching tires and the whoosh of air brakes, followed by the bang and clatter of equipment being unloaded and set up beside the wreck. The powerplant for an enormous demolition tool sputtered as the starter whined, then it roared to life like an angry bobcat. Two men raised the apparatus and metal screamed as the huge blade tore into the side of the car.

    The angel watched the concern on the faces of the paramedics and police, the furrowed brows and their dogged efforts, as they toiled to save a life that could not be saved.

    As they worked, the angel hovered nearby, his eyes following their movements with a melancholy gaze. He could feel the heaviness of his own heart, the weight of the world bearing down upon him, as he watched the futile attempts to save the young girl.

    The angel wept bitter tears. He had seen the worst that the world had to offer, but this, this was different. This was a life taken by the very hands of the one who had lived it, a life lost to the darkness of addiction and the thoughtlessness of youth.

    As the first light of dawn crept over the horizon the emergency services cleared the field and silence descended once more.

    The angel closed his eyes, offering a silent prayer for a soul that had been taken too soon, a prayer for a peace that could not be found in the chaos of the world.

    The new day began to unfold and the angel looked down upon the scene one last time, now deserted with nothing left but remnants of the shattered vehicle and a few shallow depressions in the ground.

    All that remains is the silence, a hush that echoes with the sorrow of a world that had lost a young life, a life cut short in a heedless moment of irresponsibility.

    But the lesson lingers, a harsh reminder that the choices we make in life can impact not only ourselves, but those around us as well. The angel knew that this young girl's death was a tragedy, but he also knew that it was something that did not have to happen.

    The world turned and the sun rose, but the memory of that young girl, her laughter and her dreams now stilled, would live on.

    An enduring warning about the consequences of getting behind the wheel while intoxicated.

    Comment

    • Frank Cox
      Film God
      • Jan 2020
      • 2314
      • Melville Saskatchewan

      #107
      The Lawn
      by Frank Cox

      The sun blazed like a furnace, a relentless and unforgiving beast that seemed to be mocking me as I pushed the mower through the verdant sea of grass. Sweat poured off me in rivers, stinging my eyes and running down my back like a waterfall.

      A swarm of pesky mosquitoes danced around my head and one by one they swooped in, landing on my arms with the stealth of a cat burglar on the prowl. I batted at them like a prizefighter dodging jabs but they were relentless, their tiny wings a blur, their hunger insatiable.

      I gritted my teeth and muttered under my breath, my muscles burning with each pull of the mower. The heat was unbearable, but I refused to give up. I was going to finish mowing this lawn, no matter what it took.

      I finally finished the last pass, and for a moment, I let myself feel a small sense of satisfaction. But then I saw it, a glimmer of green peeking through the freshly cut blades. No sooner had my mower cut a swathe through the grass than it seemed to grow back, as if the very earth itself was mocking my efforts.

      I cursed, and pushed the mower back towards the starting point.

      I cranked the machine back up, the engine roaring to life with a growl, and pushed the mower forward, feeling the blades slicing through the grass with a satisfying crunch. I tried to focus on the task at hand, but the infernal heat and the mosquitoes gnawed at my sanity, drowning out any semblance of clear thought.

      I mowed and mowed, the sun beating down on me like a hammer, but I didn't falter. I was indomitable, a relentless force that wouldn't be stopped. And when I finally finished I slammed the mower off and turned to put the mower back in the shed.

      Then I saw it. The grass was already growing again, a mocking reminder of my never-ending struggle.

      I stood there for a moment in pure shock, staring at the vast expanse of green that stretched out before me, my mind reeling from the sight. I couldn't believe it, I had just mowed the lawn for the second time and now I had to do it all over again. I felt like I was going insane, like I was trapped in some sort of cruel joke.

      I let out a curse that would make a sailor blush, and grabbed the mower once again, my muscles already aching from the effort. I knew I had no choice, I was forced to begin anew with no other option open to me.

      This was a never-ending cycle, a merry-go-round that I was stuck on. I felt like a hamster on a wheel, trapped and with no way out.

      I gradually came to suspect that there was something fishy about this lawn, something that didn't quite add up. And then I spotted a flicker of movement out of the corner of my eye and I knew I was onto something.

      There it was, a mischievous imp, a sprite of pure devilment, frolicking among the blades of grass on the lawn. The imp, a naughty gremlin with a gleam of malicious glee in his eyes, seemed to revel in my struggle, his laughter like the tinkling of tiny bells on the summer breeze.

      Not a man to be easily bested, I set to work crafting a trap for the little deviant that was causing all the trouble. I baited it with a tuft of freshly mown grass, and waited. The imp appeared soon enough, sliding between the blades of grass and sneaking out from the shadows like a cat on the prowl. It fell into the trap, ensnared by my clever ruse. I pounced and the imp squirmed and squealed, but I wasn't about to let him go. I held him fast, my grip like a vice, and stared him down with eyes as cold as a frozen river.

      "Now see here, you little imp," I snarled, my voice as hard as a sledgehammer. "You stay away from my lawn. I've had enough of your tricks. This grass is no plaything for you. You get one chance to shape up or ship out. Now scram, before I change my mind."

      The imp, his eyes wide with fear, nodded meekly, and I released him.

      The imp screeched and disappeared, and I wiped the sweat from my brow as the grass finally stayed still.

      Later that afternoon I sat on the porch with a pitcher of ice-cold lemonade on the table next to me. I looked out over the lawn as the sun began to set and just couldn't shake the feeling that I was merely delaying the inevitable. The lawn, still a thorn in my side, would grow once more, and I would have start over again from scratch.

      But for now I could enjoy the peace and quiet, and maybe, just maybe, the following days would be a little cooler and the grass would grow a little slower.

      And so continued my yearly battle against the grass, one man squaring off against nature's merciless might.

      ​

      Comment

      • Frank Cox
        Film God
        • Jan 2020
        • 2314
        • Melville Saskatchewan

        #108
        Spike
        by Frank Cox

        In the concrete jungle where dreams go to drown and the rain fell like a mournful symphony, a small, scruffy bundle of fur named Spike found himself lost in the heart of the city, his bewildered eyes reflecting the neon lights of a city that had swallowed him whole. The shadows lengthened and the streets echoed with an eerie silence, but Spike, being the plucky pup he was, refused to let the big bad city break him.

        The wind howled like a pack of hungry wolves, and the rain pelted down like a thousand broken hearts, but Spike, with his stubborn heart and spirit as tough as old leather, pressed on. He navigated through the labyrinth of the city, past towering skyscrapers that seemed to reach for the heavens and narrow alleys that whispered tales of a thousand lost souls.

        As the rain poured down like a thousand tears weeping for the little fella, soaking his fur and chilling his bones, the darkness closed in and the little scruffy puppy ventured further into the heart of the city. The streets were slick with the rainwater, reflecting the neon lights that flickered and danced, casting a kaleidoscope of colours on the puddles and the damp, grey sidewalks. Spike, with his wet, matted fur and shivering body, looked out of place amidst the towering skyscrapers and the hurried footsteps of the city dwellers.

        Spike's small paws splashed through the puddles as he navigated the labyrinth of the city. The rain stung his eyes and soaked his fur, but Spike didn't let it slow him down. He moved with purpose, his nose twitching as he searched for a shelter, a place to spend the night and escape from the endless rain.

        The wind howled like a pack of hungry wolves, and the rain pelted down like bullets, but Spike, with his stubborn heart and indomitable spirit, pressed on. He moved with the grace and agility of a seasoned navigator, weaving between the legs of pedestrians and avoiding the puddles, some deep enough to swallow him whole. He snuffled through the gutters, his eyes focused on the distant glow of the street lights, and his tail wagged with a determination that would put any seasoned detective to shame.

        And as the rain fell and the darkness closed in, Spike continued to move forward, a small, scruffy bundle of fur who refused to be defeated by the big bad city.

        As the night deepened, the city transformed into a dark, sinister beast, and the streets became a minefield of danger. But Spike, he didn't back down. He was a survivor, a fighter.

        As Spike moved through the city, his determination unwavering, he suddenly found himself cornered by a group of mean boys, shabbily dressed in stained t-shirts, torn jeans and broken-down work boots. They seemed to take delight in making his life miserable and loomed over him, their sneers and taunts filling the air, as they threw small stones and trash at him with cruel, reckless abandon.

        They jeered and cackled, their vicious catcalls echoing off of the cold, damp walls.

        But Spike didn't cower or run. He stood his ground, his eyes flashing with a fierce determination that seemed to surprise even him. He growled low in his throat, his teeth bared, and the boys stopped, taken aback by this tiny puppy's boldness.

        One of the boys, the biggest and the meanest, took a step forward, sneering as he raised his arm to throw a jagged lump of concrete at Spike. But before he could let it fly, a harsh voice boomed out behind him, stopping the boy in his tracks.

        "Leave that dog alone," the voice snapped, and the boys hesitated, their eyes darting to the source of the voice. A tall, broad-shouldered man stood there, his face stern and his eyes full of anger. "He's just a little puppy, and he didn't do anything to you. Beat it."

        The boys hesitated, their cruel smiles fading as they realized they had gone too far. They mumbled apologies and slunk away down the alley and out of sight. And as the rain continued to fall and darkness of the night descended, Spike looked up at the man, his tail wagging hesitantly as he felt a sense of safety and protection wash over him.

        The man bent down and scooped up the tiny shivering creature, cradling him in his arms. "Hey there little guy. You're lucky I came along when I did," he said, his voice softening as he looked into Spike's wide, innocent eyes. "But from now on, you stay away from those boys. They don't deserve a puppy as brave and ferocious as you."

        And with that, the man took Spike into his home and his heart, and together they navigated the dangerous streets of the city, the hardboiled detective now with Spike by his side and the rain falling gently on their heads. Spike and the man, whom he now called his saviour, had formed an unbreakable bond. The man, who introduced himself as Jack, had taken the small, scruffy puppy under his wing and protected him from the dangers of the big bad city.

        Jack was a hard-nosed, no-nonsense kind of guy, but there was a softness in him, a kindness that shone through his gruff exterior. He was a veteran of the city, a man who had seen and experienced the worst it had to offer, but he had never lost his humanity. And in Spike, he found a reason to keep fighting, a reason to keep believing in the goodness of people.

        Spike, for his part, had never been happier. He had found a home, a family, in Jack, and he followed him everywhere, his tail wagging and his ears pricked up, eager to learn and explore the world. As Spike grew to be a medium-sized dog, Jack taught him how to navigate the city, how to avoid the dangerous alleys and the mean boys who roamed the streets.

        In that tiny, fearless pup Jack had found a friend for life. Together, Jack and Spike were an unstoppable force, a team that could conquer the toughest of challenges and the darkest of nights. They spent their days exploring the city, Spike walking proudly beside Jack as they ventured together through the streets of the metropolis. They would sit on the park benches, watching the world go by, and Spike would lay his head on Jack's lap, his eyes closed in contentment.

        At night they inhabited a humble apartment, Spike laying on the floor beside Jack's feet, a picture of devotion and unwavering loyalty. The air was heavy with the scent of old leather and pipe tobacco, a comforting aroma that spoke of two lives lived side by side, steadfast and true, bound by a bond forged in the dangers and the cold winds of the city.

        As they slept, the city would fall silent, the rain stopping and the shadows receding. Spike had found his forever home and now he could dream of tomorrow's adventures, and journeys yet to be taken. And for the big man, he'd found a reason to keep going, a purpose to his hard, solitary life.

        The city, too, seemed to smile, its hard, unyielding exterior melting away for just a moment, to reveal a heart as warm and as loving as the one beating in Spike's small, scruffy chest. And in that moment, maybe the big city wasn't so bad after all. It was just a place where tiny lost puppies could find a home and where a lonely detective could find a devoted friend.

        ​

        Comment

        • Frank Cox
          Film God
          • Jan 2020
          • 2314
          • Melville Saskatchewan

          #109
          The Flat
          by Frank Cox

          In the heart of the city, where shadows dance with the street lights and the wind carries the odour of a thousand broken dreams, I was cruising down the avenue behind the wheel of my beautiful steel-grey '67 Studebaker. On this, a night like no other, the engine was purring like a contented cat and the brisk wind whipped through the open windows. The moon was hidden behind a smokestack haze, casting a dim glow that barely penetrated the shadows, and the city was a cacophony of honking horns, screeching brakes, and the distant wail of a siren. I was in my element, my thoughts a million miles away, a fish in the sea of concrete and steel. I felt like a king in this concrete jungle, alive, invincible, ready to take on the world.

          I took in the sights, the towering buildings that seemed to reach for the heavens, the neon signs that flickered and pulsed, and the people who moved like ants across the pavement. It was a symphony of sound and colour, a monument to the spirit of the city and the indomitable will of its inhabitants.

          As I turned a corner, the steering wheel jerked in my hands and a sharp bang rattled the windshield and assaulted my ears. There was a deep clattering thump, as if the spirit of the city itself had taken a breath and let it out in a sigh. I cursed under my breath, my heart pounding in my chest as I pulled over to the curb. I knew what had happened. I had a flat tire.

          I opened the door and stepped out of the car to inspect the damage. The tire was flat, the rim bent and a jagged and uneven laceration defaced the tread. I rubbed my forehead with my hand and sighed in frustration as I took in the gaping hole in my tire, my fist clenching as I gazed upon my lovely, once proud machine, now crippled and unable to move.

          I hauled the trunk open and pulled out the spare tire and dropped it onto the pavement with a bang and a bounce. The jack and the tire iron followed and I set to work, leaning all of my weight on the tire iron as I attempted to loosen the recalcitrant nuts. My muscles ached and my breath came in ragged gasps as I wrestled with that stubborn tire. I could feel the cold night air creeping into my bones, but I refused to let it slow me down. I was a hardboiled detective, and I wouldn't let a simple flat tire stand in my way.

          I worked steadily, and finally the lug nuts broke loose so I could yank the wheel off of the axle. I wrestled the spare into place and strained to get it mounted. Just as I was about to tighten the final bolt on the wheel I felt a sudden yank on my head and my hat suddenly vanished into thin air.

          I jumped to my feet and looked down the street, and that's when I saw it: a pigeon. It had swooped down from the heavens like some kind of avian assassin and was now standing in the middle of the road, gripping my hat like it was claiming a trophy.

          I cursed and watched in astonishment as the pigeon took off and my hat started disappearing into the distance.

          I could feel the anger building inside me like a storm on the horizon. No scrawny flying rat was going to swipe my hat and get away with it, but I knew I had to act quickly or it would be lost forever.

          With a yell of indignation, I took off after the pigeon and my hat, sprinting along behind it like a race horse as I gave chase. The city was a blur around me, a kaleidoscope of sights and sounds that threatened to overwhelm me, but I pressed on, fuelled by a single-minded purpose. No mere bird was going to get the best of me, no way, no how.

          I caught up to the hat thief and lunged at the bird, my hands outstretched and my eyes fixed on the prize. But the pigeon was quick, its wings flapping furiously as it tried to escape my grasp. It was a whirlwind of feathers and motion as I closed in and the bird took flight once more.

          I put my all into the chase, and after a gruelling effort and several more blocks I finally managed to corner the little varmint in an alleyway. With a victorious shout I snatched my hat from the bird's clutches like a cat pouncing on a mouse.

          I settled my hat back on my head and glared at the bird, my eyes cold and unforgiving, before sending it on its way with a well-placed kick.

          When I returned to my car, out of breath and my heart still racing, I found a yellow slip of paper tucked under the windshield wiper. The meter maid had struck again, her cruel hand reaching out to squeeze my wallet dry. I gritted my teeth and scowled at the ticket, but knew I had bigger fish to fry.

          I climbed back into the Studebaker and mashed my thumb on the starter button, the engine roaring back to life as I slipped the ticket into the glove compartment. I took a deep breath, the cold air filling my lungs, and dropped my car into gear as I let out the clutch. I hit the gas and merged back into the flow of traffic, ready to face whatever new challenges this city had in store for me. Because that's what I do. I'm a hardboiled detective, and I'm not afraid of anything this city can throw at me.

          Except maybe pigeons.

          ​

          Comment

          • Frank Cox
            Film God
            • Jan 2020
            • 2314
            • Melville Saskatchewan

            #110
            The Lamp
            by Frank Cox

            In the heart of this concrete jungle, where the neon signs flicker like the eyes of a cunning shill, I ambled down the mean streets, my footfalls echoing off the cold, grimy pavement. The wind whispered secrets in my ear, carrying with it the scent of rain and the promise of trouble.

            Just as I was about to call it a night, my gaze fell upon a shape half-buried under a pile of rubbish in the dark recesses of a dank alleyway. A faint glimmer, something that shone in the feeble illumination from the nearby street light and piqued my curiosity.

            I trudged through the fetid muck in the alley, the soles of my shoes caked with something I couldn't identify, and approached the stinking mound of debris. As I dug through the trash the stench was overpowering and my hands quickly became coated in sticky slime, but I finally unearthed the treasure: an old, dirty lamp.

            The lamp, if that's what it was, was in a sorry state and I wondered if it had been worth the effort of digging it out. Its brass body was caked with dirt, and a thick layer of filth made it impossible to determine its true nature. I picked it up, and the muck and the reek of the alley clung to it like a shroud.

            With a grimace, I held my breath against the putrid smell and started wiping it off. The grime came away easily, revealing an intricate design beneath. I rubbed at the last bits of crud, thinking that this thing looks like a valuable antique and wondering if it had been lost or stolen or perhaps thrown out by mistake.

            I stood back up intending to take it to the lost property office, but just as I was turning to leave the alley a huge blast of purple smoke billowed from the top of the lamp and a figure appeared.

            Tall and slender, a dark silhouette against the city lights and his face hidden in the shadows, he wore brightly coloured robes that glowed with a gentle radiance and a turban adorned his head. A vision straight out of a fairy tale, he seemed out of place in this foul city alley.

            “Who are you?” I coughed and rasped, my voice rough from the smoke.

            With a smile that was as enigmatic as the city itself, his voice deep and sonorous, he said, "I am the genie of the lamp, and I am here to grant you three wishes."

            I stared at him, my mind racing. Three wishes? I could ask for anything, and it would be mine. But as I looked into his eyes, I realized that something was off. This genie's eyes were cold and calculating, and there was a hardness to him that didn't belong in the delicate world of enchantment and wonder. Plainly not a genie of legend, this was something else. Something darker and far more dangerous.

            This wasn't the Arabian Nights after all.

            I leaned in for a closer look, and that's when I saw it. A jagged scar that ran down his left cheek like a white lightning bolt, a grim reminder of a knife battle fought and won years ago.

            I squinted, trying to make out his features. And then it hit me. I'd seen that face before, on the wanted posters plastered all over the squad room.

            This was a hoodlum, a man with a price on his head. No ordinary miscreant, he was a fugitive on the run and the lamp was his hideout.

            "You're no genie," I said, my voice low and menacing, "You're Johnny Dirk, and you're under arrest."

            I didn't give him a chance to make a move. I lunged at him, catching him off guard as I grabbed him by the throat and quickly took him to the ground in a brutal wrestling hold. After a short struggle I slapped the cuffs on, securing his wrists and ending the skirmish.

            I yanked him to his feet, picked up the lamp, and dragged him out of the alley and over to my undercover prowl car, the tattered remnants of his robes in shreds and his turban slipping off. The man's curses and complaints echoed off the walls but I chose to ignore them. I shoved him into the back seat and slammed the door, ready for the drive to the police station.

            Once in the car I drove straight to the precinct, the antique lamp on the front passenger seat beside me. Dirk was still trying to talk his way out of his predicament, but I wasn't listening. I had him in my custody now and there was no way I was going to let him escape.

            I escorted him into the police station, handing him over to the boys in blue to be booked and charged, and turned the lamp over to the evidence room. Dirk gave me a final glare as he was led away, but I didn't bat an eye. I'd seen that look a hundred times before, and it meant nothing to me.

            I walked out the door and back onto the street, the rain again starting to fall and the city lights reflecting off the wet pavement. The tale of the lamp and the genie wasn't a storybook fantasy after all; just another day in the life of a hardboiled detective, working to keep the city safe from the criminals who sought to overrun it.

            ​

            Comment

            • Frank Cox
              Film God
              • Jan 2020
              • 2314
              • Melville Saskatchewan

              #111
              The Deep End
              by Frank Cox

              My body heavy and aching, I stirred from my slumber like a whale beached on a rocky shore. The pounding in my skull was a relentless drumroll, a cacophony that echoed the frenzied beat of a sailor's heart in a storm-tossed sea. My eyes cracked open, squinting at the blinding daylight filtering through the dappled leaves of a towering palm.

              A pool, I realized with a groan that rattled my ribs like a ship in a gale. Last night's bacchanal, no doubt.

              Surrounded by the cold, hard concrete, the sun beat down on me like a relentless hammer, its golden rays filtering through the clear, blue water.

              My head a cauldron of fury and bewilderment, I struggled to recall the events of the night before, the sun's relentless glare chiselling into my aching skull. Last night's shindig, a swirling vortex of laughter, libations, songs and revelry, had left me high and dry.

              I pushed myself up from the poolside, my limbs as unwieldy as an ancient galleon, and tottered to my feet. My head swam like a school of sharks and, with a groan, I dragged myself to the edge of the pool, my muscles protesting like rebellious sailors. The world spun like a compass needle lost at sea, but I stood my ground, determined to navigate this foreign shore and find my way back to my kingdom.

              I squinted, taking in my surroundings: a lavish backyard, the scent of exotic flowers mingling with the bitter aftertaste of last night's indulgence. But where were my trident and my seahorses? My realm, my domain, lay beyond the horizon, and I was a castaway, adrift in a sea of questions.

              I looked around, my eyes adjusting to the bright light, and saw the sun loungers and tables scattered around the pool, the remnants of the festivities still lingering in the air. The chemical tang of chlorine stung my nose and empty bottles lay scattered across the concrete, their contents spilled out like toxic debris.

              I saw a rubber ducky floating on the surface of the water, its eyes looking at me with a vacant stare, and I felt a sense of despair wash over me. I was trapped in a suburban neighbourhood I'd rather not have stepped foot in, a parched, sun-baked place far from my usual oceanic empire.

              I could feel the heat radiating off the concrete, the sun's rays beating down on my weathered skin like a furnace, and I shivered, my body shaking like a leaf. But I knew I had to get out of this swimming pool, find my way back to my ocean.

              Muscles straining like anchors pulled taut, I stepped out of the pool, the scorching concrete burning my bare feet like hot lead. I stared around the pool and the back yard, once again taking in the sight of the detritus from last night's party. Then my gaze fixed on the horizon and the promise of my ocean, and I knew I had to get going.

              I stared down at the swimming pool, the enemy that had captured me and left me a prisoner in this land of mortal men. The water beckoned, a siren's call, but I knew I couldn't drown in its depths, not now, not when I needed to return to my ocean.

              I clenched my fists, my knuckles white as the foam on a stormy sea. This was no mere hangover, this was a battle, and I was its captain. I'd weather the storm, ride the waves, and return to my throne. For I am Neptune, and I'll not be kept from my kingdom.

              I lurched forward, my legs as unsteady as a ship on a rough sea. The city loomed ahead, a concrete jungle where the wild things were, and I knew I'd have to navigate its treacherous streets to make my way back to my domain.

              Each step I took, the pounding in my head grew louder, my brain felt like it was wrapped in a wet washcloth. The sun beat down on me, a relentless adversary, but I pressed on, my gaze fixed on the horizon and the promise of my ocean.

              The whispers started as I ventured into the heart of the city, the people staring, their eyes wide with awe and confusion. I was a god among mortals, a behemoth in a world of ants, but even I couldn't shake the feeling of vulnerability, the weight of my hangover bearing down on me.

              As I stumbled along, I passed a group of street performers, their hubbub a discordant symphony that grated on my ears and my nerves like a cat scratching at a chalkboard. I passed a market, the aromas of spices and fresh fish a reminder of the bounty of the sea I'd left behind.

              The city's inhabitants gave me a wide berth, their eyes wary and cautious. They knew who I was, and they knew I was not to be trifled with. But I was no longer the powerful god I once was, and I could feel their contempt like a slap in the face.

              I gritted my teeth and vowed to let them see the fire within my heart. I'd show them I was no mere mortal, that I could endure their stares and their whispers. I'd show them the power of Neptune, even in my weakened state.

              As the day wore on, my headache grew worse, and my legs could barely carry my weight. I tripped and fell, skinning my palms against the scalding pavement. But I pushed myself up, brushing the grit from my hands like a dog shaking off water, determined to make it back to the ocean.

              Finally I reached a narrow alley, the shade cast by the buildings offering a brief respite from the sun's merciless glare. I leaned against the wall, my breath coming in ragged gasps. The city was a cruel mistress indeed.

              I closed my eyes and leaned my head against the cool brick, the sounds of the city fading away until all I could hear was the pounding in my skull. But the ocean still called to me, a siren song that beckoned me back to my home.

              The sun seemed to mock me, the people's stares like daggers in my heart. I was a stranger in a foreign land, a god lost and adrift.

              I clenched my jaw, my fingers digging into my palms. I'd find my kingdom, reclaim my throne, and show them all the power of Neptune. I'd weather the storm, ride the waves, and return to my ocean. For I am Neptune, and I will not be broken.

              I left the alley and continued to plod down the street. My skull felt like it was going to explode, the heat a relentless hammer pounding away at my sanity. Every step was a struggle, ever breath a labour, then I caught a glimpse of movement out of the corner of my eye. I turned to see a group of young hoods, their sneers and jeers a mockery of my suffering. They saw me, a god among mortals, reduced to a pitiful, hungover wreck, and they circled like sharks, their snickers like the cackling of seagulls.

              They thought they could take advantage, that I was an easy target.

              "Look, it's old man Neptune," one sneered, his voice as spiteful as a rusty anchor. "Must think he's got what it takes to deal with life in the big city."

              "You presume it's a good idea to tangle with me?" I bellowed, my voice reverberating from the maze of concrete buildings around me. "Think again."

              I spat a mouthful of seawater that steamed on the hot pavement and glared at the boys. I may have lost a step, but I hadn't lost my bite. "I've sent more of your kind to the bottom of the sea than you've ever dared to imagine," I growled, my voice as deep and resonant as the ocean itself.

              The young thugs looked at each other, their eyes filled with mockery and contempt. "You're just an old man who stinks of dead seaweed," one sneered. "Look at you, weaving around like a drunken sailor on the street. You're nothing more than a fish out of water."

              I closed my hands into fists, the veins in my forearms standing out like cables. I was Neptune, the mighty sea god, and I would not be taken for a fool. I'd show them the power of the god of the sea, even in my current state of fatigue.

              I took a deep breath, trying to ignore the bass drum pounding in my head, my body shaking with the effort, and charged at them, my fists flying like the waves of a storm. The world spun around me and I lost my footing a few times, but my rage was a tempest that could not be quelled.

              The troublemakers staggered back, their eyes wide with fear, and fled from this old god's wrath.

              My chest was heaving, my body was covered in bruises and cuts, my stomach threatened to revolt, and someone was still running a jackhammer inside of my skull. But I stood tall. For I am Neptune, and I will not be defeated.

              continued...

              ​

              Comment

              • Frank Cox
                Film God
                • Jan 2020
                • 2314
                • Melville Saskatchewan

                #112
                I let out a weary sigh, shook my head, and kept walking.

                I trudged on, my body still trembling with the remnants of last night's merriment, but the promise of the ocean gave me strength. I'd weathered the storm, ridden the waves, and now I was closer to my kingdom than ever before.

                I could see the harbour in the distance, the ships bobbing like in the water. I could feel the power of the ocean, the mighty waves calling to me, and I knew I was almost home.

                I took a deep breath, my body trembling with anticipation, my feet moving faster and faster as I neared the water. I could feel the salt-kissed air, the scent of the sea filling my lungs, and I knew I was home.

                As the sun began to set, I finally reached the ocean's edge, the sight of the waves crashing against the shore a balm to my battered soul. I stumbled forward, my hands reaching out to touch the cool, salty water. The ocean welcomed me like a long-lost friend, and I sank to my knees, the waves lapping at my exhausted form.

                I took a deep breath, the salty air filling my lungs, and closed my eyes. With a sigh of relief, I stepped into the ocean, my body sinking beneath the waves like a stone.

                I floated there, the water surrounding me like a cocoon, and I felt the weight of the world lift from my shoulders. I had weathered the storm, ridden the waves, and returned to my kingdom.

                I smiled, the water shimmering around me like a mirror, as I thought about the raucous soiree. The laughter, the music, the stories and dancing. The libations. It had all been a whirlwind, and I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

                I looked up to the sky, the world around me shimmering like a mirage, and I smiled. That really had been quite the lively bash. But now it was over, and I was home.

                As I let the sea take me, I knew I'd pay for my night of merrymaking. But I'd made it back, and that was all that mattered. The sea is my home, and no matter how far I strayed, it would always be there to welcome me back.

                I am Neptune, the mighty sea god, and I have returned to my kingdom.​

                Comment

                • Frank Cox
                  Film God
                  • Jan 2020
                  • 2314
                  • Melville Saskatchewan

                  #113
                  My second science fiction story:

                  The Martian Meteorite
                  by Frank Cox

                  In the neon-lit halls of the Cosmos City Space Station, where the stars twinkled against the blackness like broken dreams, Gordon the Galactic Gumshoe was on a case that had the whole galaxy buzzing. The Martian Meteorite, an extraordinary relic as old as time itself, was turning a neon purple as bright as a Vegas showgirl's sequins, and nobody knew why.

                  Gordon, with his trench coat made of space-age material and his hat tilted just so, was parked in his hidey-hole in the darkest corner of the museum, a nook nestled between a display of early Martian artifacts and a towering statue of a long-dead Martian warrior. Using the museum's dim lighting to his advantage he set up his old-school telescope, focused it on the rock, and waited for night to fall, watching the minutes tick by like cosmic sand slipping through an hourglass.

                  As the clock struck midnight and the last visitors left the museum, a chill ran down Gordon's spine. He knew something was going to happen tonight, and he didn't want to miss a thing. He hunkered down lower, his heart pounding like a Martian drummer, straining to hear any sign of movement.

                  Time passed. The museum was as quiet as a tomb, the only sounds the distant hum of the space station's life support systems and the occasional creak of an old exhibit. Gordon's thoughts began to wander and he found himself considering an ancient cosmic mystery: If space is a vacuum, who changes the bags?

                  Then, out of the corner of his eye, Gordon saw it. A flicker of movement, a shadow slipping through the dim light.

                  He immediately snapped back to attention and held his breath. He fixed his gaze on a slick character as it skulked around the corner and approached the Martian Meteorite. Dressed in a sleek black jumpsuit, his face hidden behind a mask of dark Martian fabric, it was Dirk McFlimflam, a notorious thief and general no-good with a smile as crooked as a knife that's seen one too many fights. The sight of him tangled up in this investigation came as a shock. Dirk was known to be involved in all varieties of mayhem and mischief, but he had never come under any suspicion of vandalism and property damage.

                  Gordon quietly got to his feet and crept out from his hiding place. McFlimflam didn't seem to notice him as he pulled out a can of neon purple paint and began to work.

                  Waiting until McFlimflam's back was turned, Gordon the Galactic Gumshoe sprang into action. He vaulted through the air and came down with a heavy thud, landing with a crash at McFlimflam's feet. The thief yelped in surprise, dropping the can of neon purple paint, which began to spray in all directions like a broken Martian fire hydrant.

                  Purple streaks flew through the air, dousing both Gordon and McFlimflam in the vibrant colour. Two museum guards, alerted by the commotion, burst onto the scene, their stun batons crackling with energy. They took one look at the chaotic scene and raced to assist.

                  McFlimflam, seeing his cover blown, was left scrambling and desperate. But Gordon was faster. He grabbed the thief's wrist, twisting it painfully as they wrestled on the floor. Purple paint streaked across the museum, turning the once-pristine exhibits into a living work of abstract art.

                  The fight was brief but fierce, ending with Gordon slamming McFlimflam into a display case, shattering it like a comet hitting Earth.

                  The guards closed in and McFlimflam, knowing he was outmatched, let out a snarl and went down swinging. The guards subdued him easily, dragging him away in handcuffs, his face a mask of purple paint and fury.

                  Gordon, covered in purple paint himself, stood up slowly, wincing as he straightened his aching back. He surveyed the damage with a sigh, the once-resplendent museum now looking like a Martian paintball arena.

                  "I've seen some things, but this takes the cake," he muttered to himself, shaking his head.

                  The guards closed the door with a bang that reverberated through the empty museum and the lights flickered out one by one, leaving only the neon glow of the city and the luminous shine of the purple paint.

                  Gordon turned to the meteorite. "Looks like it's just you and me. You're safe now, old buddy," he said, giving it a pat. "And I'll get to the bottom of this technicolor mystery yet."

                  As the sun rose over Cosmos City, Gordon sat in his office, sipping a Martian Mojito and scratching his head. The Martian Meteorite was still purple, and he was none the wiser about why. But he had a feeling that the answer was out there, hidden in the shadows of the city like a lost Martian treasure.

                  After McFlimflam's arrest, the museum guards took him to the city jail, where he was booked in for a string of charges related to vandalism, destruction of property, and unauthorized adornment of a valuable artifact. Gordon the Galactic Gumshoe knew he needed to get to the bottom of this mystery, and he was determined to interrogate McFlimflam to find out why he had been painting the Martian Meteorite at night in the closed museum.

                  He made his way to the jail, with the sound of his footsteps echoing against the steel floor of the corridors and the hiss of the air exchange system in his ears. He was met by a stern-looking guard who led him to the interrogation room. McFlimflam was already there, sitting in a chair with his arms crossed and a sneer on his face.

                  Gordon sat down across from the thief, his eyes locked onto McFlimflam's. "I want to know why you've been painting that meteorite, McFlimflam," he said, his voice cold and hard. "And I want answers. You're going to sing like a canary."

                  McFlimflam just laughed, a sound like gravel crackling underfoot. "You think you can scare me, Gumshoe? I've seen tougher than you," he said, his eyes gleaming with malice. "I'll never tell you a thing."

                  Gordon leaned forward, his expression darkening. "You underestimate me, McFlimflam," he said, his voice low and dangerous. "I'll break you like a cheap Martian toy if I have to."

                  McFlimflam's laughter died in his throat, his eyes darting around the room like a trapped rat. Gordon could see the fear in his eyes, and he knew he had him right where he wanted him.

                  "Alright, alright, I'll tell you!" McFlimflam cried, his voice shaking. "I was painting the meteorite to make the museum think it was defective and suddenly worthless! I figured they'd throw it into the garbage, and I could retrieve it and clean it up! I could sell it for a fortune!"

                  Gordon grinned and pounded his fist on the table in triumph. "I knew you couldn't keep your mouth shut for long, McFlimflam. I'll make sure you pay for your crimes, mark my words."

                  McFlimflam hung his head, defeated. "I didn't mean to do any real harm, Gumshoe," he said, his voice barely above a whisper. "I just wanted to make a little money, that's all."

                  Gordon shook his head, his expression unreadable. "Money isn't worth losing your freedom over, McFlimflam," he said, his voice filled with contempt. "You should have thought about that before you started painting that priceless artifact."

                  As he stood up and turned to leave the interrogation room he heard a voice behind him. "I would have gotten away with it too, if it hadn't been for a meddling detective," McFlimflam said, his voice filled with bitterness.

                  Gordon the Galactic Gumshoe turned to face the thief, his expression unreadable. "Don't count on it, McFlimflam," he said, his voice cold and hard. "I'll always be one step ahead of you."

                  ​

                  Comment

                  • Frank Cox
                    Film God
                    • Jan 2020
                    • 2314
                    • Melville Saskatchewan

                    #114
                    Shiny Objects
                    by Frank Cox

                    In the gritty, gut-wrenching labyrinth of a city that never sleeps, I'm just another night owl, prowling the shadows, my eyes as sharp as a razor's edge. The wind tugged at my trench coat and the rain came down in buckets, drenching my clothes and dripping down my neck.

                    This town's a maze of sin and secrets, and I'm the gumshoe who unravels them all.

                    A strange case fell on my desk, one that had the whole city in a tizzy. Shiny objects vanishing into thin air, a mix of treasure and trash, precious gems and common junk. Dimes, foil, diamond rings – all gone, leaving only echoes of their glint and the sting of loss in people's hearts. I rolled a smoke, yanked my hat down lower on my forehead, and set out to crack this peculiar puzzle.

                    The trail led me down alleys slick with rain, into backrooms where the air was thick with whispers and hushed conversations. I followed the breadcrumbs of missing shimmer, each one leading me closer to the truth. And then, in the heart of the city, I found the miscreant, crouched in the darkness of the alley.

                    There, smaller than a sparrow, was a diminutive creature as strange as a dream. A pixie, her wings aglow with iridescent highlights, her eyes as bright as a thousand gemstones. She was the culprit, the tiny thief who'd been pilfering the city's shine.

                    I moved with the silence of a shadow, making no sound as I crept closer, my hand reaching for the pixie as she spotted me and let out a shrill cry. She flitted and fluttered, her wings beating against the air like a bird trapped in a storm.

                    But I was quicker, and I caught her, my fingers closing around her tiny form. She wriggled and squirmed, her wings fluttering wildly, beating against the air with a panicked intensity as she tried to break free.

                    I held on tight, determined to bring this little thief to justice.

                    But then came a problem: she was too small for standard handcuffs. I'd never dealt with a case like this before, and I found myself momentarily stumped. But I'm not a man who gives up easily, and I knew I'd find a way.

                    Looking around the alley I spied a rusty birdcage abandoned in a pile of discarded junk. I snatched it up and with a gentle touch I placed the tiny creature in the cage.

                    I carried the cage to the police station, the pixie still fluttering and fuming, cursing as her small body bounced off the bars in a futile attempt to escape.

                    The cops looked at me, their jaws dropping in amazement, as I marched through the station and carried the cage into the interrogation room, a place where the harsh white light of reality came to bear down upon the souls of those who dared to cross the line. Small and dingy, the walls were grimy, marred by years of wear and tear, a cold, unfeeling expanse of faded white that stretched up and up into the shadows.

                    The floor was a scuffed linoleum, worn down by the footsteps of countless criminals, each step leaving its own mark upon the surface, a testament to the sins they had committed. The air was thick with the scent of sweat and fear, a heavy burden that hung in the air like a cloud of despair.

                    In the center of the room stood a scarred table, its surface pitted and worn, the remnants of countless battles fought and won. The chairs that surrounded it were cheap plastic, cold and uncomfortable, designed to make those who sat upon them feel as if they had no place in the world.

                    It was a place where I had seen the best and the worst of humanity, a place where the human spirit was laid bare, exposed for all to see.

                    But it was also a place where I had seen hope, where I had seen the human spirit triumph over adversity. It was a place where the weak could become strong, where the broken could be mended, and where the lost could find their way.

                    I set the cage down on the table, the pixie glaring at me with hate in her eyes. I unlocked the cage and she leapt out and stood on the tabletop, immediately staring me down, her gaze blazing with malice.

                    I sat down across from her, my hands steepled before me. "Tell me, little one," I said gently, my voice the velvet rumble of a sleeping cat, "why did you steal the shine?"

                    But the pixie only scowled at me, her little wings fluttering slowly and gently, creating a hypnotic pattern as they beat against the air. I could see the defiance in her eyes, the stubborn refusal to admit to her crimes. I knew then that this would be a long night, a battle of wills between the hardboiled detective and the tiny thief.

                    I leaned back in my chair, my eyes never leaving the pixie. "Ok, we have time. Lets just sit here together and see what happens," I said, showing an unruffled countenance. "I've faced harder cases than this before."

                    And with that, the game began. The pixie and I, locked in a dance of power and tenacity, the rain still falling outside like a symphony of sorrow, beating a melancholy rhythm on the roof.

                    Her lips curled into a sneer, "I've never stolen a thing in my life."

                    I let out a low laugh, the sound rattling the walls of the room. "Oh, but you do love the shiny things, don't you?" I leaned forward, my elbows on the table, my gaze locked onto hers. "You can't hide it from me," I snapped with a sudden intensity.

                    Her eyes flickered, a moment of vulnerability showing in their emerald depths. "I love shiny things," she admitted, her voice barely more than a whisper. "But I've never stolen them."

                    I slowly leaned back again and nodded my head. "So tell me, sweetheart, where did you get them all? The rings, the trinkets and doodads... they're all over the city, and they all shine like the stars."

                    She sighed, her shoulders slumping. "I found them," she said, her voice quiet and filled with sadness and regret. "I find them, and I... I keep them. But I didn't steal them."

                    I shifted forward again, my hands flat on the table, my fingers splayed. "You keep them, huh? That makes you a thief, doesn't it?"

                    She shook her head, her eyes filling with tears. "I didn't mean to take them. I just... I just couldn't help myself."

                    I offered a nod of understanding. "You've got a problem, sweetheart. A real problem. But I think I can help you with that." I gestured widely with my hands, letting her know that I was willing to listen and understand her position. "Tell me where you've hidden the rest of your loot, and maybe I can keep you out of jail."

                    She looked at me, her eyes pleading, and I could see the hope and yearning for redemption. She was a thief, no doubt about it, but she was also just a lost little girl, caught up in the glamour of the shiny things. I sighed, leaning forward once more.

                    She spoke of the way the shiny objects made her feel, the way they filled her with a sense of joy and happiness, the way they seemed to light up her world. She spoke of the way she would steal them, the way she would hoard them, the way she would hide them away so that no one else could have them.

                    I hearkened to her story, my heart going out to her. I could see the pain in her eyes, the regret in her voice, the sadness in her heart. She was undoubtedly a thief, but she was also a victim, a victim of her own desires, of her own needs.

                    I could understand her, could see where she was coming from. I had seen it before, had seen people driven to crime by their own demons, enslaved by their passions and desires. I knew that she needed help, needed someone to guide her, to show her the right path.

                    I sat up straight and placed my hands flat on the table. "I understand, sweetheart," I said, my voice soft. "I recognize why you did what you did, but you've got to appreciate that what you did was wrong. You can't just take things that don't belong to you, no matter how much you want them."

                    She nodded, her eyes downcast, a tear trickling down her cheek. "I know," she whispered. "I know it was wrong, but I just... I just couldn't help myself."

                    I nodded, a slow smile spreading across my face. "Those are the words that I've been waiting to hear," I said, my voice firm. "You know that what you did was wrong, and now you have to make things right. You have to learn to control your impulses, to resist the temptation to steal. You have to learn to live a life free of crime."

                    She looked up at me, her eyes filled with determination. "I will," she said, her voice steady. "I will do whatever it takes to make things right, to learn to control myself, to become a better person."

                    continued..
                    ​

                    Comment

                    • Frank Cox
                      Film God
                      • Jan 2020
                      • 2314
                      • Melville Saskatchewan

                      #115
                      I stood up, my legs cramped from sitting on that uncomfortable chair. I walked over to the door and opened it, beckoning to the guidance counsellor, a kind elderly lady who was waiting outside. She stepped into the room, her eyes filled with compassion, her heart full of understanding.

                      "Take care of her," I said, my voice firm but gentle. "She's got a long road ahead of her, but I know she can do it."

                      The counsellor nodded. "I'll do my best," she said, her voice soft. "She's a lost little soul, but I can help her find her way."

                      I nodded to the pixie with a grin. "You stay out of trouble in the future, little lady."

                      The pixie looked at me, her eyes filled with gratitude, and I could see the hope in her heart. She was a lost little girl, but she was also a fighter, a survivor. I knew she had the strength to change, to leave her life of crime behind and become a model citizen.

                      As the counsellor reached out her hand to the pixie, the little creature simply jumped into her palm, as light as a feather. The counsellor's eyes lit up with genuine delight, and she smiled down at the pixie. She cradled the little creature in her hand, protecting her from the harshness of the world, and made her way out of the interrogation room.

                      I watched as they walked away down the hall, the counsellor's steps light and sure, the pixie nestled safely in her palm. I couldn't help but feel a sense of pride, a sense of accomplishment. I had done my part, had helped the pixie confess to her crimes and had given her the chance to make amends. Now it was time for someone else to step in and help her heal, to guide her on the right path.

                      I knew the counsellor was the right person for the job, knew she had the compassion and the understanding to help the pixie. I also knew that the pixie had the power to change with proper supervision and advice. The pixie was in good hands, she was going to learn how to live her life without crime, how to become a person with honour and respect.

                      I knew it wouldn't be easy, knew there would be challenges and obstacles along the way, but I also knew that the pixie had the strength to overcome them.

                      As I stood in the empty interrogation room, I couldn't help but feel a sense of satisfaction. I had done my part, had helped a lost little girl find her way. A small victory, but a victory nonetheless, and I was proud of what I had accomplished.

                      The city would be safe once more, and the pixie was destined for success and happiness in the future, shining bright like the stars above. That was my promise to her, and I was a man who always kept his word.

                      The case of the missing shine was closed, another mystery solved by the detective who walks the shadowy streets of this town.

                      The city breathed a sigh of relief, and I moved on, ready to tackle the next puzzle that comes my way. For in this city of deceit and darkness, I am the man who uncovers the truth.
                      ​

                      Comment

                      • Frank Cox
                        Film God
                        • Jan 2020
                        • 2314
                        • Melville Saskatchewan

                        #116
                        Dragon Fire
                        by Frank Cox

                        The city was rousing from its slumber as the first fingers of dawn painted the sky with the hues of an artist's palette. But this day was different. For this day, the city was to bear witness to a sight unseen since the days of old, when tales of fire-breathing beasts were but whispers in the wind.

                        A dragon of gargantuan proportions, scales shimmering in the morning light, stalked the city streets like a cat on the prowl. His once fiery eyes were dulled by sorrow that hung over him like a dark cloud, casting its shadow on all who stood near. For this dragon, my friend, was ailing, a fireless wonder in a world where flames were his birthright.

                        His gait was heavy and slow and his wings dragged limply against the cobblestones as he trudged through the city, the people scrambling to get a glimpse of the mythical creature that had suddenly appeared in their midst. Some crossed themselves, muttering prayers under their breath, while others stood, slack-jawed, their eyes as wide as saucers. A few even tried snapping pictures, oblivious to the gravity of the moment.

                        The denizens of the city, with their whispers and curious stares, barely registered in the dragon's consciousness. The bustling crowd was nothing but a blur to him, a cacophony of whispers that meant nought to him in his despair, the world around him merely a canvas on which his anguish painted its own grim picture.

                        His heart ached, a constant, gnawing pain that threatened to consume him from within. He longed for the days when he could roar with pride, his flames dancing and leaping like the spirits of the earth. He yearned for the power that had once defined him, the power that had set him apart from all other creatures.

                        But now, he was nothing more than a hollow shell, a reminder of the past that he could never recapture. He trudged on, his feet heavy with the weight of his sorrow, his heart heavy with the weight of his loss. A dragon without fire, he felt as if he were slowly dying with each passing moment.

                        He had tried everything, every potion and charm, every spell and incantation, but nothing had worked. He was at the end of his rope, his hopes and dreams all but extinguished.

                        But he had a mission, a last-resort, desperate attempt to overcome his troubles. He had heard tales of a hardware store in this very city, a place where he might find the solution to his predicament. He trudged on, every step a burden on his soul, his long strides eating up the distance between him and his destination.

                        At last, he arrived at the establishment in question, a hulking brick building with walls covered in soot and a sign that dangled precariously over the street, threatening to plummet to the ground at any moment. With a heavy heart, he pushed open the creaky wooden door and stepped into the dimly lit interior. The air was thick with the smell of oil and metal, a far cry from the sweet, smoky scent of burning embers that should have been his.

                        The store's proprietor, a grizzled old man with a bushy moustache and a twinkle in his eye, looked up from his workbench as the dragon entered. His eyes widened, and he let out a low whistle. "Well, slap my face and call me Betty," he said, his expression a mask of astonishment. "This ain't the kind of joint where I'd expect to see the likes of you."

                        The dragon, attributing the man's rude behaviour to the shock of seeing a dragon walk into his store, explained his plight. Having shaken off his initial surprise, the old man listened intently, his brow furrowing as he pondered the dragon's words. At last, he produced a small, brown cardboard box from beneath the counter, the label reading "Sizzlin' Grill Barbecue Fire Starter."

                        "This here's a powerful concoction," the old man said, his voice clear and precise. "It'll start up a inferno in a blink of an eye. But it requires a delicate touch because we're literally playing with fire and it can easily get out of control. Too much, it'll burn everything around here to the ground and leave nothing but a charred wasteland. Too little, and it's worthless."

                        The dragon nodded, summoning his courage like a knight readying for battle. He took a teaspoon from his pocket, tore open the seal on the box and carefully poured a portion of the fire starter, cautiously heeding the old man's warning. With a deep, shuddering breath, he swallowed the powder, his heart pounding like a jackhammer.

                        He waited, his body tense with anticipation, as the fire starter worked its magic.

                        At first, there was nothing. But then, a strange sensation began to build within him, a rumbling in his chest that threatened to consume him. He hiccuped and burped, the taste of the fire starter burning like acid on his tongue. His eyes watered, and he felt a strange heat building within him, like a volcano ready to erupt.

                        And then, suddenly, it happened. A plume of smoke erupted from his nostrils, and his eyes blinked furiously, as if trying to adjust to the newfound power within him.

                        The dragon belched fire, then hastily departed the building and scurried out into the middle of the street.

                        He roared, the sound echoing through the city, a fierce, primal cry that sent shivers down the spines of those who heard it.

                        A torrent of flame erupted from his mouth, a blazing inferno that lit up the sky like a thousand suns. He bellowed again, the sound resonating like the drumbeat of the universe, and he spread his wings and soared into the heavens, his newly restored power surging through his veins like a raging river.

                        The cityfolk below gasped, their eyes wide with awe and fear as the dragon ascended into the clouds like a comet streaking across the sky. For this dragon was healed, and his world was once again a land of possibilities and dreams of the future.

                        ​

                        Comment

                        • Frank Cox
                          Film God
                          • Jan 2020
                          • 2314
                          • Melville Saskatchewan

                          #117
                          The Punctuation Factory
                          by Frank Cox

                          In the gritty heart of the city, where the concrete jungle echoed with the rhythm of life, there stood an unassuming factory. This was no ordinary factory, mind you. This was the Punctuation Factory, and it churned out the very lifeblood of communication, the punctuation marks that gave structure and flavour to the spoken and written word.

                          One crisp autumn day someone opened the front door at the wrong moment and a blustery gust of wind blew through the Punctuation Factory, wrenching a window open at the rear of the building and sending a wild storm of commas, periods, and exclamation points swirling like a flock of mischievous pigeons.

                          The factory workers gaped at the scene in astonishment as a never-ending stream of punctuation marks spiralled their way out the window, like a swarm of bees abandoning their hive.

                          Commas, those wandering, elusive marks, meandered through the city streets, popping up here and there to interrupt conversations mid-sentence. A pair of lovers sharing a tender moment were suddenly cut off mid-kiss as a comma floated by, leaving them both bewildered and slightly annoyed.

                          Semicolons rained down, swirling around the city like a grammarian's nightmare. Colons and em dashes went rogue, leaving behind a trail of run-on sentences and fragmented thoughts.

                          Exclamation points, those rowdy, bombastic marks, saw an opportunity for chaos, popping up in the most unexpected places, causing even the calmest souls to jump out of their skin. They swarmed through the city like packs of wild wolves, setting the tongues of the city's residents ablaze. Conversations were suddenly punctuated with exclamations, leaving everyone feeling a little overwhelmed and more than a little tired.

                          Periods, those stern, no-nonsense marks, decided to take a stand. They gathered in the city square, forming a disciplined line that stretched as far as the eye could see. The citizens watched in awe as the periods stood tall, their black dots glinting in the sunlight, daring any miscreant to cross their path.

                          The waitresses at the local diner, once as perky as peacocks, now served up orders that were a wild mess of letters, impossible to decipher and leaving patrons to wonder if their eggs came sunny-side up or burned to a cinder. Grocery clerks, once as sharp as a tack, now slung their wares with the precision of a blind man throwing darts, leaving customers to wonder if they were buying a loaf of bread or a sack of spuds.

                          The police department, ordinarily a bastion of order in a lawless town, was a scene of pandemonium, with police dispatchers running around in a frenzy and bawling into radios. But their orders resembled a Shakespearean soliloquy, leaving the officers to wonder if they were supposed to chase a fleeing suspect or recite a sonnet.

                          The town's folk, once as garrulous as a flock of magpies, now stumbled over their words like drunkards on a tightrope, leaving everyone in a state of confusion that made the Tower of Babel look like epitome of order and decorum.

                          "Is this some kind of cosmic joke?" a man named Leonard mused, as he tried to order a cup of coffee with a mouthful of question marks. "I can't even get a simple cup of joe without ending up in a semicolon sentence!"

                          As the day wore on, the city began to resemble a riotous mess of half-finished thoughts and over-excited declarations. The citizens, their minds spinning with thoughts of missing commas and periods, began to question their own senses, wondering if they were losing their grip on reality.

                          But in the midst of this punctuation pandemonium, a lone question mark floated calmly above the chaos. It looked down upon the city, its question hanging in the air like a cloud of uncertainty.

                          "Why, oh why," it asked the wind, "have I been spared from this madness? Is it my destiny to bring order to this punctuation chaos?"

                          As the sun began to set, the question mark swooped down, landing gracefully in the city square among the periods. The citizens watched in awe as the question mark began to organize the periods, gathering them together and guiding each one to its rightful place in sentences.

                          As the periods fell into line, the commas and exclamation points began to follow suit. Even the ampersands and percent signs were eventually coaxed out from the old clock tower where they had hiding and persuaded to line up and fulfill their responsibilities.

                          And one by one, all of the missing punctuation marks ultimately returned to the Punctuation Factory, their wild spirits tamed by the gentle guidance of the question mark.

                          The factory's window was firmly shut and bolted. The punctuation chaos was averted and the city breathed a collective sigh of relief as the world of words was restored to its proper state. The citizens could resume their conversations, communicating clearly and efficiently, all thanks to the tireless efforts of proper punctuation and indomitable spirit of that heroic question mark.

                          The city was safe, at least for now, from the chaos of a punctuation-less existence.

                          ​

                          Comment

                          • Frank Cox
                            Film God
                            • Jan 2020
                            • 2314
                            • Melville Saskatchewan

                            #118
                            I wrote this story as a straight-up fairy tale, then decided to do it again and give it an edge.

                            So here's two versions of The Tapestry.​

                            The Tapestry
                            by Frank Cox

                            In the grit and grime of a village where shadows held secrets tighter than a vice and the moon held court in the darkness, a seamstress crafted suits and dresses like an artist painting masterpieces with a sewing machine. Her name was known throughout the land and her needle danced over the fabric like a razor blade on glass, crafting garments that were as beautiful as a peacock displaying its iridescent feathers. The townsfolk came to her for all of their clothes and curtains, and she never let them down, her creations always as flawless as a swan gliding over still waters.

                            One stormy night, as the wind howled like a pack of wolves and the rain fell in torrents, a witch cast a spell on her, leaving her voiceless and binding her in chains of silence, never to utter another word. The witch's crimes were heinous, a slap in the face to every person who believes in justice and fairness, and the seamstress was left unable to speak, with nothing left to her but the weight of a thousand secrets that she could not share.

                            She resolved to sew a tapestry as a means to break free from the cage of silence that held her, and she sat in her workshop day after day, doggedly pursuing her goal, determination burning within her like a fierce and unstoppable flame. She put her heart and soul into her work, her fingers moving with a speed that was almost supernatural, as she sewed the story of the witch's crimes onto a tapestry. It was a colossal undertaking, a task that required all of her skill and expertise.

                            As the days turned into weeks and the weeks into months, the tapestry grew more and more intricate, its threads as fine as a spider's web and its patterns telling a tale of beauty and mystery. It was a work of splendour, a masterpiece that told a story of betrayal, of silence, and of an unyielding resolve to fight for what was right.

                            Finally the day came when she was ready to unveil her creation. She hung the tapestry in the town square where it swayed gently in the breeze as it lay coiled and waiting to be unrolled. The townsfolk gathered around it, and whispers of excitement and anticipation filled the air as people jostled for a better view.

                            As the sun set and the first stars began to twinkle in the sky, the seamstress stepped forward, her eyes shining like diamonds in the dark. She unfurled the tapestry and it glowed like a window into another world, as beautiful and captivating as the threads of time itself. The townsfolk gasped as they saw the story of the witch's crimes unfold before their eyes, the tapestry as clear and as unforgiving as a mirror held up to a sinner's soul.

                            The witch was arrested on the spot, her cackling laughter silenced forever. And the seamstress stood tall, her heart as pure as ever, her needlework as sharp as a dagger's point. She had triumphed over evil, and her tale would live on in the hearts and minds of the townsfolk for generations to come.

                            As the seamstress continued her work, pouring her heart and soul into her craft, she began to realize that she had a special gift of her own, a power that allowed her to create objects that were truly extraordinary. For with her needle and thread, she wove enchantments into her tapestries, creating stories that could never again be silenced.

                            The world may be a place full of danger and uncertainty, but even the darkest alley has a light at the end. You just have to keep walking to find it.

                            ​

                            Comment

                            • Frank Cox
                              Film God
                              • Jan 2020
                              • 2314
                              • Melville Saskatchewan

                              #119
                              The Tapestry
                              by Frank Cox

                              In the quaint, cobweb-laced corners of a forgotten hamlet, where time seemed to have forgotten its cruel march, a humble weaver plied his trade. His loom was a towering, ancient beast of a machine, as rugged and weathered as the weaver himself. Its frame was made of sturdy oak, worn smooth by the hands of countless artisans who had worked upon it in times gone by, before it had become a part of the weaver's life many years ago.

                              The warp beams, thick rods of iron, stretched across the width of the loom, holding the threads taut and ready for the weaver's skilled hands. The weaver's shuttle, a small wooden box on a long pole, darted back and forth between the warp beams, carrying the weft threads that would become the tapestry's foundation.

                              His nimble fingers danced across the filaments, weaving a masterpiece of thread and fabric, a living, breathing tapestry that whispered tales of heroism and valour.

                              The one night as the sun crept low, casting long, ominous shadows that danced upon the walls, a witch appeared at his doorstep. Her eyes were as black as a moonless night, and her laughter, a chilling wind that sent shivers down the weaver's spine. She demanded a tapestry, one that would capture the essence of power and control. The weaver, a man of honour, refused, knowing well the price of such a commission.

                              The witch, enraged by his refusal, threatened to unravel the very threads of time and space and life itself if her demands were not met. Cackling like a wailing banshee, her voice a discordant symphony of malevolence, she stretched out her gnarled, skeletal fingers, reaching for the weaver's throat like a ravenous beast.

                              But, unnoticed by the witch, the weaver had deftly threaded a silken noose and swiftly wove it into the fabric of the tapestry.

                              With a rattlesnake's hiss, the witch lunged, her spectral form moving across the unfinished tapestry like an evil gust of wind. She stumbled into the trap and fell into the noose, which caught her movement and tightened, trapping her within its coils. The witch shrieked, a sound that could have peeled the paint from the walls, but her cries were stifled and the threads became iron chains, binding her forever within the tapestry's intricate web.

                              That was when the tapestry’s stitched pattern shimmered, as if it had been waiting. The seams - every intricate detail and stitch in the tapestry - caught at the witch’s shadow and pulled. The witch tried to recoil, but the tapestry was a trap and no matter how hard she fought, she could not break free from its clutches.

                              She struggled anyway. Her fingers scratched at the cloth, leaving sparks where the threads met her curses. The tapestry writhed and convulsed, bucking and heaving uncontrollably as it seemed to to drink in the sparks and the darkness, and smoke and ash poured forth into the air, swirling around the room in great clouds and creating a thick haze. The witch’s voice grew thinner, stretched flat by the cloth as though her magic had always been meant for embroidery.

                              "No!" she screeched. "I cannot be..."

                              The weaver brought the final edge up, hemmed it in place, and tucked the last tail of thread beneath the border and the tapestry snapped shut like a book.

                              For a heartbeat, the room was still and quiet, not a sound to be heard.

                              The weaver got up from his stool and carefully rolled the finished tapestry. After placing it under a table in the corner of his shop the man returned to his loom as if nothing out of the ordinary had occurred. For in the hands of a master weaver like himself the loom was not merely a tool of his trade but also a weapon, an instrument that could bind the wicked and protect the innocent.

                              As the sun dipped below the horizon, all that remained was the sound of the weaver continuing his work, the rhythmic click-clack of his loom, and a measured sibilant buzz as each thread fell into its place on the fabric.

                              The tapestry with its trapped witch now lay silent and still in the corner, shunned by all, neglected and eventually forgotten.

                              The seasons changed and the years slipped by like grains of sand. The once quaint hamlet had morphed into a sprawling metropolis, a city of skyscrapers and neon lights, where crime was as common as the air people breathed. In a dimly lit office in the heart of this concrete jungle, a hardboiled detective named Jack "Rain" Rainsford, a man as weathered as the streets he walked, sat behind his desk, a half-empty glass of whiskey nestled between his calloused fingers.

                              A dame walked through the door into a fog of cigarette smoke, her heels click-clacking against the weathered floorboards. She carried a parcel under her arm, a rolled-up tapestry, as intricate and enigmatic as the woman herself.

                              "Take a gander at this, Jack," the dame said, her voice as smooth as silk but with an edge that reflected a strong sense of determination. She unrolled an inch or two of the tapestry, revealing a tableau of colours and patterns that danced like shadows in the flickering light. The detective leaned in, his eyes tracing the intricate details, the blood-red roses, the twisted ivy, the black-as-coal eyes that seemed to follow his every move.

                              "It's a thing of beauty. Absolutely stunning," he said, his voice low and gravelly. "But it sure gives you a queasy feeling, doesn't it?"

                              She nodded, her eyes wide and frightened. "I found it concealed under an old tarp in my grandmother's attic. It's been there for years, untouched. I can't shake the notion that something terrible is gonna happen if it's ever fully unfurled."

                              Jack, a man who'd seen more than his fair share of phantoms, demons, and otherworldly terrors, cautiously examined the tapestry with a mixture of intrigue and skepticism. He ran his fingers over the intricate weave, the silken threads whispering to him like a distant wind, and he knew it held an ancient, unworldly power.

                              Jack had a sixth sense for the supernatural and he knew what he was dealing with. He took a long drag on his cigarette, his eyes narrowing in thought as he studied the tapestry. After what seemed to be a long time, he nodded to himself.

                              "There's a witch trapped in here," he said, his voice quiet but filled with conviction. "A witch with a taste for human souls."

                              The tapestry shifted, the patterns rippling like water, and the walls of the office seemed to writhe and distort, as if they were alive.

                              A spectral voice, as cold and pitiless as a graveyard at midnight, echoed through the room. "Let me go, mortal. I will grant you your heart's desire in exchange."

                              The detective was no fool. He was no stranger to supernatural shenanigans, and he knew better than to trust a creature of the night.

                              Jack took custody of the tapestry and became more and more obsessed with the fabric and the witch that dwelt within. He spent countless hours poring over its intricate weave, his mind consumed by the secrets it held. The witch's cries grew louder and more desperate, but Jack was unyielding, determined to protect the city from the dark forces that threatened it.

                              The witch continued to plead with the detective every time he crossed the threshold into his office, promising him power, riches, and all manner of worldly treasures if he would only release her from her prison. But Jack was steadfast, his intellect focused on unravelling the mystery of the tapestry and its sinister inhabitant.

                              As the days stacked up like fallen dominoes, each one toppling into the next, Jack persevered with his investigation, consumed by the riddle of the tapestry and the whispered tales it held. The witch's cries grew louder, her pleas more desperate, but Jack was undeterred, his resolve as unshakable as ever.

                              And so, the detective and the witch continued their dance for several weeks, a battle of wills played out against the backdrop of a city that never slept, a city where the line between the mundane and the supernatural blurred like the edges of a faded photograph. Jack, a man who had faced down dozens of the darkest of foes and lived to tell the tale, was not one to be easily swayed, and he would not rest until he had rooted out the secrets of the tapestry and the witch that dwelled within.

                              Then one fateful night, as the moon hung low in the sky, casting long, eerie shadows upon the city streets, Jack made a decision that would have far-reaching consequences for the entire world. He would sew the tapestry shut, trapping the witch within its threads forever.

                              With a steely resolve, he opened the bottom drawer of his desk and rummaged around for the battered wooden box that contained his sewing kit, his hands shaking with the weight of his decision.

                              The witch screamed, her voice a discordant symphony of malevolence, as Jack set the box on his desk and fumbled through it, sorting past the buttons and pins, until he unearthed a needle and thread.

                              He threaded the needle and started sewing, stitching the tapestry closed. He worked with a sudden sense of urgency, driven by a strong feeling that the job needed to be done without delay, before it was too late.

                              The witch fought him, her voice growing louder and more insistent, but the detective was unhesitating. He carefully sewed a hem around the edge of the tapestry and brought the ends together and, with a final, triumphant stitch, Jack tied it off with a solid knot, closing it up and sealing it shut forever.

                              continued...

                              Comment

                              • Frank Cox
                                Film God
                                • Jan 2020
                                • 2314
                                • Melville Saskatchewan

                                #120
                                Jack knew that if he burned or destroyed the tapestry the witch would be released. He couldn't risk that happening so he decided to take the tapestry to the city dump and bury it under tons of garbage, where hopefully no one would ever find it again.

                                As he walked through the city the rain poured down in a sudden deluge, soaking his hat and trench coat and drenching him from head to toe. Jack clutched the tapestry tightly to his chest, his fingers tightening around the fabric as if trying to hold back the darkness that lay within. He knew that he was doing the right thing, but the weight of the responsibility weighed heavy on his shoulders.

                                When he finally reached the city dump, Jack hesitated for a moment before entering. The reek of decay and rot filled the air, and the sound of garbage trucks rumbling through the darkness echoed all around. He took a deep breath, steeling himself for what he had to do, and stepped into the darkness.

                                Jack searched for a secluded spot, away from the prying eyes that seemed to be everywhere in the city. He found a small aperture, surrounded by towering mounds of garbage, and began to dig. The ground was hard and stubborn, but Jack refused to give up. Finally he managed to scoop out a small depression, just big enough to fit the tapestry, and carefully lowered it inside. He covered it with garbage, burying it beneath a mountain of trash amid the stench and filth of the city dump.

                                The rain continued to fall, washing away the sins of the city, but for Jack, the memory of the tapestry would always linger, a dark reminder of the secrets that lay hidden in the shadows.

                                As he walked back to his office he couldn't shake the feeling that the witch would never truly be gone. The weight of the witch's cries and the memories of the battle that had raged within its threads weighed heavy upon him, but he knew that it was the only way to truly be free of the past. He knew he'd done what he had to do to protect the innocent.

                                He'd dealt with his fair share of monsters, but this one had been a creature of another world, a thing of shadows and nightmares. But the detective was no stranger to the darkness, and he'd faced it head-on, armed only with his wits and his courage. He'd won this battle, but he knew there would be others. And he was ready. Always ready. Because that was the way of the hardboiled detective, a man who fought the forces of darkness, one case at a time.

                                The tapestry remained interred in the garbage dump, buried in the darkness and shadows amid the grime and sludge, hidden from the world of men. For years, or even centuries, it lay there, waiting for someone to find it. The witch, trapped within its threads, grew restless as the years passed, her power growing stronger and more insidious with each passing day.

                                As the tapestry lay forgotten in the darkness, the city around it grew and changed. Buildings rose and fell, people came and went, but the tapestry remained, a dark and unseen presence in the heart of the city.

                                It was impossible to know when someone might stumble upon the tapestry, or if they would even recognize its true nature. But when they did, the consequences would be dire. The witch would be released, and her power would be unleashed upon the world, bringing darkness and chaos with her.

                                The city would be plunged into despair, as the witch wreaked havoc upon the innocent and the guilty alike. Buildings would crumble, the streets would be awash in blood, people would tremble in fear and the world would be no more than dust and ashes.

                                But would anyone be brave enough to face the darkness and uncover the tapestry's secrets? Or would the city be forever cursed, haunted by the memory of the witch that lay hidden in the garbage dump, waiting for her moment to strike? Only time would tell, and the witch waited patiently, biding her time.

                                She had an eternity to wait.

                                ​​

                                Comment

                                Working...