Oscars ceremony will be streamed on YouTube exclusively starting in 2029

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Leo Enticknap
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 3572
    • Loma Linda, CA

    #16
    Originally posted by Mark Gulbrandsen
    Some tuners have a switch that lets you select which standard, but most do not. So you may want to open it up and check for that switch first.
    Will do - thanks. Need to do an archeological dig in the garage to retrieve it first, though! The tuner in question is a 1980s vintage Quad FM4, which I remember does have a physical switch to change the input AC between 100-120 and 220-240 (and presumably the frequency between 60 and 50Hz along with it). This says to me that it is designed to be usable in the US.

    Originally posted by Mark Gulbrandsen
    ...about as crappy as all the commercial laden stations we have here in Nashville.
    That is exactly why getting the tuner working has not been a high priority. There is only one local station here (KUSC) that I listen to with any regularity, and even then not very often: most of my radio listening is AM, and almost all of that in the car. Still, I remember that it did sound nice, and could cope with a weaker signal better than any other FM receiver I've owned, so it would be nice to have it working again.

    Comment

    • Mike Blakesley
      Film God
      • Jan 2020
      • 2021
      • Forsyth MT

      #17
      Don't forget about the creepy-ass dead eyes! They're just not as creepy and disturbing at home.
      Yeah - the uncanny-valley aspects of Polar Express never bugged me the way they did some people but I do get it. That's a movie that should be remade with today's vastly-better animation.

      But, with Netflix swallowing WB we'll probably see a tee-vee flick called "The Polar Express 2: Train Wreck at Santa's Workshop" or some stupid crap light that instead.

      Comment

      • Mark Gulbrandsen
        Film God
        • Jan 2020
        • 3093
        • Nashville, TN

        #18
        Originally posted by Leo Enticknap

        Will do - thanks. Need to do an archeological dig in the garage to retrieve it first, though! The tuner in question is a 1980s vintage Quad FM4, which I remember does have a physical switch to change the input AC between 100-120 and 220-240 (and presumably the frequency between 60 and 50Hz along with it). This says to me that it is designed to be usable in the US.



        That is exactly why getting the tuner working has not been a high priority. There is only one local station here (KUSC) that I listen to with any regularity, and even then not very often: most of my radio listening is AM, and almost all of that in the car. Still, I remember that it did sound nice, and could cope with a weaker signal better than any other FM receiver I've owned, so it would be nice to have it working again.
        Oh, a Quad tuner.... I serviced and aligned a few of those in years past... including an old vacuum tube version. There was a big Quad dealer in Chicago in the 70's and 80's. Anyway, I'd be curious if there exists a switch inside so it can deal with both standards, The three old units I worked on did not have that, but that was a very long time ago. My Parasound ZTuner does have the switch...

        Comment

        • Harold Hallikainen
          Film God
          • Jan 2020
          • 1071
          • Tucson AZ

          #19
          I guess Quad is a brand name. There was also a proposal for quadraphonic FM broadcasting ( see https://bh.hallikainen.org/index.php/GE%20Quadraphonic ). I remember quadraphonic vinyl records that had a subcarrier carrying the additional channels. I could hear the subcarrier as I'd cue up a record to put on the air.

          Comment

          • Mark Gulbrandsen
            Film God
            • Jan 2020
            • 3093
            • Nashville, TN

            #20
            Originally posted by Harold Hallikainen
            I guess Quad is a brand name. There was also a proposal for quadraphonic FM broadcasting ( see https://bh.hallikainen.org/index.php/GE%20Quadraphonic ). I remember quadraphonic vinyl records that had a subcarrier carrying the additional channels. I could hear the subcarrier as I'd cue up a record to put on the air.
            Yes, Quad is a high end British brand most famous for it's full range electrostatic speakers that go back to the 1960's, but are still being produced today...

            Comment

            Working...