What's the latest theatre to close or open you have heard about?
Collapse
X
-
"Cinemark Monroe Cinema 10 in Pecanland Mall will be permanently closing.
A sign is currently posted in the lobby of the theatre, announcing its impending closure.
"THAT'S A WRAP," the sign reads. "Thank you for your business over the past 38 years. While this theatre is permanently closed, we look forward to serving you at our West Monroe (LA) location.""
Leave a comment:
-
The property was purchased in July by Food Bazaar Supermarkets for $40M.
405677961_739984428170128_1778467317963797698_n.jpgLeave a comment:
-
AMC closes 16-screen movie theater in Johnston (Iowa)
"Since November 2022, AMC has closed the Cobblestone 9 in Urbandale and the Southridge 12 in Des Moines. The only remaining AMC locations in Iowa are in Council Bluffs, Dubuque and Sioux City."
https://www.kcci.com/article/amc-clo...nston/45961614Leave a comment:
-
From AMC to KP: New owners breathe fresh life into the downtown Kalamazoo theater
https://wwmt.com/news/local/kp-cinem...ection-screensLeave a comment:
-
"The University of Colorado Boulder has contracted to acquire the Regal Cinebarre theater in Louisville for use as a transit-oriented development to house faculty and students.
The 8.85-acre property at 1164 W. Dillon Road, near the interchange of U.S. Highway 36 and McCaslin Boulevard, will be acquired for $10 million. The purchase was approved by the CU Board of Regents, Nov. 7, but still must be approved by the Capital Development Committee of the Colorado General Assembly.
The acquisition is expected to be completed in the first quarter of 2024."
Leave a comment:
-
Makes sense.
We had a similar situation here in San Francisco when the historic/iconic Cliff House Restaurant was sold. The owners
apparently had trademarked the phrase "Cliff House" as it applies to this location in San Francisco, and so when it closed
the sign came down, and the new owners cannot use the phrase "Cliff House" Restaurant when it re-opens.
The trademark owners can now legally sell the rights to "as served at the Cliff House™" recipes or sauces or whatever they like.
Likewise Cinerama™ can sell merchandise rights; I still have a fair amount of swag I bought at the Cinerama™ Dome, which, though closed, retains the name.Leave a comment:
-
Apparently you were not the only projectionist that has encountered this. Some did not catch the error until it was too late:Related to Ed's porn theater pic, my favorite "porno pun" title was of a James Bond-inspired masterpiece, The Man With the Golden Bum. It was shipped by mistake to a theater I once worked at that was doing a Bond retrospective: the print distribution depot in West London that, at that time, handled pretty much every print that went to and from every cinema in the UK had obviously gotten the titles mixed up. I knew something was wrong when a case containing only three reels arrived. At first, I thought that the second case had been lost in transit, but then I looked twice at one of the cans, and saw the title. I so wish I'd taken a pic, but this was in the mid-1990s, before the days of even standalone digital cameras, let alone cameras in phones.,,,
Leave a comment:
-
Related to Ed's porn theater pic, my favorite "porno pun" title was of a James Bond-inspired masterpiece, The Man With the Golden Bum. It was shipped by mistake to a theater I once worked at that was doing a Bond retrospective: the print distribution depot in West London that, at that time, handled pretty much every print that went to and from every cinema in the UK had obviously gotten the titles mixed up. I knew something was wrong when a case containing only three reels arrived. At first, I thought that the second case had been lost in transit, but then I looked twice at one of the cans, and saw the title. I so wish I'd taken a pic, but this was in the mid-1990s, before the days of even standalone digital cameras, let alone cameras in phones.
Of course we could not resist the temptation to hang a reel and roll it after work that evening (especially as I was almost the only member of staff at that place who was not gay - the others practically demanded it!). Suffice as to say that removing the gold paint once shooting (in more ways than one) was complete must have required avery hot shower...Leave a comment:
-
For anyone else who's wondering (like me) whether hits a strike means they opened or closed, the article says that there's a new theatre going in there along with a bowling alley.
That culturemap website runs a dozen javascript scripts and trackers before it will actually show any information.Leave a comment:
-
EVO Entertainment hits a strike with new movie/bowling center in Dallas
https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/e...ood-belt-line/Leave a comment:
-
Golden Ticket Cinemas to reopen Greenville (N.C.) Grande theater location with IMAX screen
https://www.witn.com/2023/11/08/greenville-regal-grande-movie-theatre-re-open-with-imax-screen-east/Golden Ticket Cinemas says it expects to open in December and bring the region’s first IMAX screen to the theatre in Greenville.Leave a comment:
-
If the MOHAI can save the sign from a porno theater, they can certainly save the Cinerama sign!
lusty+ladies-seattle-1380453296.jpgLeave a comment:
-
There’s hope that MOHAI (Museum of History and Industry) will end up with it, but no telling what Vulcan’s plans are these days.
A friend sent me these pictures of them removing the CINERAMA™ sign from the building.
NoCinermaSign1.jpg
(It'll probably show up on E-bay in a few weeks! lol)
NoCinermaSign2.jpgLeave a comment:
Leave a comment: