One other Cine Capri site I visited previously a couple times, the Harkins Southlake in the DFW metro closed in 2020. Now the building is being remodeled into a EVO Entertainment venue. It's supposed to combine cinema, bowling, video games and other stuff under one roof. I'm not sure how that can work, but I guess we'll see. The chain has its own premium big screen "EVX" concept, which includes Dolby Atmos. So maybe they'll retain the Cine Capri auditorium mostly as is and just re-brand it under a different acronym. EVO is also working on another location in the Prestonwood area. Are they messing around with the former LOOK Cinemas location? (quick Google Earth search, that would be a YES).
At one point a couple or so years ago I thought Harkins was planning a second OKC location on the North side of the city. As far as I can tell plans for that have been put on hold, like the Alamo Drafthouse location that was proposed for the trendy Chisholm Creek development on the North side.
Originally posted by Geoff Jones
There has to be some way to re-create that kind of Northpark #1 sub-bass in a large, stadium seated house. I don't know if that means more sub-bass enclosures, throwing more wattage at the problem, doing even more with wall treatment. I'm not a sound engineer. But I know what I'm hearing. That Northpark cinema was remarkable for how good it sounded for ALL kinds of movies, not just bombastic action movies. Of course they routinely re-tuned the B-chain frequently and kept up with maintenance. Despite innovations like Dolby Atmos I really think commercial cinema chains have really dropped their focus on surround sound quality in recent years. I think the movie distributors are guilty of it as well. I could be imagining things, but it seems like the movie mixes of today are quite a bit more restrained compared to 5.1 mixes of the 1990's going into the early 2000's. It seems like much of the public is more geared to listening to movies thru sound bars under the TV screen or thru headphones. I'm getting the itch to buy a new AV receiver and speaker system for my living room, maybe even a 7.2.4 kind of setup. But it's a big (and costly) project to undertake. However, contemporary movies need to make such an investment worth it. I've been to enough "Dolby Atmos" movies at the Bricktown 16 theater that sounded like Atmos in name only to make me gun shy at investing in a home-Atmos setup.
Leave a comment: