Originally posted by Geoff Jones
What's the latest theatre to close or open you have heard about?
Collapse
X
-
I found out a few days ago Harkins shut down its Southlake 14 theater while visiting the Harkins web site. It turns out the theater closed for good on November 1 due to COVID-19 related business woes. Southlake is an upper income suburb of Dallas-Fort Worth close to the Grapevine area. The Southlake 14 had a Cine Capri screen. The room wasn't as big as the Bricktown 16 Cine Capri in downtown Oklahoma City. But it was a pretty decent venue regardless. Now the OKC cinema is the only Harkins location in this region. -
It would be great if Alamo would show a classic movie or two in their Big Show theater but I suspect F9 has the usual riders attached about having to be shown only on your largest screens for two weeks,
When I told the box office kids about presentation issues for TNC they just kind of shrugged and one gave me the "we're not allowed to change the volume" spiel.Leave a comment:
-
Interesting that others seem to have encountered poor presentation at the Harkins Tuesday night classics. We went to some of them at the Redlands, CA, theater, before the pandemic, and I was pleasantly surprised at most of them. My only (very minor) gripe was that they weren't able to close the masking to 1.37 for Meet Me In St. Louis, but the audio was at a decent volume: given that it's a mono movie, I was expecting the worst. But all the others were presented very nicely, I thought. And the $5 admission was an absolute bargain.Leave a comment:
-
(CA) Cinemark vacates Palo Alto Square Cinema. Office complex to seek new operator of twin cinema. Mike
https://www.almanacnews.com/news/202...y84RuHvE-T4nxgLeave a comment:
-
I stopped going to Harkins Northfield because of presentation issues.
It was usually with their Tuesday Night Classics presentations and was usually bad framing and sound turned down way too low; they had to be running their 650s in the 4s.
I'm sorry to hear that. I don't bother going to the Tuesday Night Classics unless they are on the big Cine-Capri screen (I can already watch classics on a decent screen at home), and everything I've ever seen on the Cine-Capri has been terrific. I hope you told someone about the issues. They are pretty responsive.
There's plenty of content. That's the whole point. There are hundreds of movies that people love and want to experience again (and share with their children who have never even seen them). These titles regularly outperform new releases (on a limited basis and in certain markets). There's a 7 billion dollar industry built around the fact that customers want to revisit their favorite movies with excellent picture and sound, but some exhibitors seem willfully ignorant of this fact, despite the data from their own ticket sales.There’s just no content
At the Alamo Drafthouse Westminster location, over the last few days, there have been crammed showings of Blade Runner 2049 on small screens while the Big Show auditorium sat nearly empty showing F9.
It's safe to assume they've lost sales to classic films due to people looking at the seating chart and thinking, "There aren't any good seats left," and I know for a fact they've lost sales due to people looking at it and thinking "That screen doesn't look much bigger than what I've got at home." This happened repeatedly before the pandemic and based on how they are programming the Westminster location, it appears it will continue, almost certainly with Raiders, Jaws, T2, Pulp Fiction, and more. Maybe even Austin Powers.
And sadly, Harkins seems to have dropped the ball as well. Back before the pandemic, they were showing some of their Tuesday Night Classics in their premium auditoriums and they were consistently drawing larger crowds than whatever new release played there the night before or the night after. Now, they are running them on small screens again, while their premium screens sit nearly empty. Sometimes literally empty.Last edited by Geoff Jones; 06-30-2021, 07:25 AM.Leave a comment:
-
Sorry to hear of the slow sales for Alamo Westminster, though honestly they haven’t been showing anything I wanted to see until I saw Jaws hit their schedule for July and Austin Powers for August.
I did go to the Scorsese series in the small theater at Sloan’s Lake.
There’s just no content; Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard is a future rental at best, not worth premium prices.
Depending upon the timing I can see going to the Big Show screen for Top Gun: Maverick and the new Ghostbusters, and just maybe the new Bond.
There are still lots of rumors the Aspen Grove Alamo will never reopen, as Aspen Grove may become yet another mixed use retail/housing development and Alamo doesn’t fit with that new concept since an apartment complex could be built where it sits now, and Alamo certainly wouldn’t mind the cost reduction.Last edited by William Kucharski; 06-30-2021, 03:25 AM.Leave a comment:
-
I stopped going to Harkins Northfield because of presentation issues.
It was usually with their Tuesday Night Classics presentations and was usually bad framing and sound turned down way too low; they had to be running their 650s in the 4s.
Leave a comment:
-
These aren't closings, because they never got built, but references to the new Harkins Colorado locations announced for Aurora and Northglenn have been removed from their Theater Openings page. They still have listings for new theaters in Laveen and Tucson. This is disappointing, but unsurprising.
What is alarming is that the showtime listings for Harkins Northfield 18 end in September, while most of Harkins' other theaters list showtimes through the end of the year. Harkins Northfield is the only cinema in Denver's front range that puts on a reliably awesome presentation, as far as I'm aware. The AMCs, Regals, Cinemarks, and Drafthouses are fraught with sound problems, small screens, constant-width screens, stray light issues, etc. Hopefully, someone is just behind on updating their website...
Leave a comment:
-
Cinepoint Six on 12th St in Ogden, Utah is definitely a goner. Word is the owners are going to tear it down and built an apartment tower in it's place. All six booths, TMS and the recliners are for sale...
Magic Lantern in Ketchum, ID lost two of their six screens due to the building owner wanting that space to put in a restaurant.
The Twin Cinema in Jackson Hole was sold and the property which is a really cherry spot in Jackson will be put to other use.. I believe they may add two screens to Movieworks to replace them.Leave a comment:
-
https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramen...er-closes.html
UA Sunrise Mall 4 in Sacramento, CA area to remain closed. An older 4 plex that opened in the early 1970's.
Mike C.Leave a comment:
-
Geoff,
The point is that you can get these titles off the WEB and at home you can tweak the picture and screw with the sound all you like.
Little screen size for the room and calibrated sound system...Blah!
This is our competition folks.Leave a comment:
-
The Alamo Drafthouse in Westminster, Colorado reopens tomorrow after a C1-9 hiatus.
They are showing The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard on their 60 foot "Big Show" Atmos-equipped screen. So far, they've sold 17 tickets across 14 different showtimes over the next week.
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is showing on little (constant width, I think) screens that are perceptibly no bigger than my home theater. So far, they've sold 44 tickets across 8 different showtimes.
So disappointing.
Leave a comment:
-
The County Theatre in Doylestown, PA is reopening after renovating their two existing auditoriums and adding a new one (it has been shut down due to both the pandemic and construction). The new auditorium is significantly larger than the original two and features 4K RGB laser projection (Barco SP4K series with high-contrast lens) and 7.1 (QSYS) audio via QSC speakers (SC-424 4-way stage channels).
For more details see: https://countytheater.org/Leave a comment:
-
The monsterplex is back. Cineworld’s Regal opened the Regal Benders Landing ScreenX, RX, 4DX, RPX & VIP today is the Houston area
http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/65379
You do not have permission to view this gallery.
This gallery has 1 photos.Leave a comment:
Leave a comment: