Random photos, comics, etc.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Leo Enticknap
    replied
    Lufthansa's no claims bonus is going to take a whack:

    image.png​

    It's being speculated that they were doing a maintenance procedure that requires a locking pin to be inserted into the nose wheel undercarriage first. There are two slots into which the pin can be inserted, for use in two separate maintenance procedures. Speculation is that the pin was inserted into the wrong slot for the procedure being done, and that due to the difficulty and complexity of repairing carbon fiber composite, an almost brand new 787 could end up being a total loss.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ryan Gallagher
    replied
    Love that letter... don't leave anything to chance.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mark Ogden
    replied
    When it comes to Kubrick and Dr. Strangelove, you don’t just wing the changeovers.


    sk1.jpg sk2.jpg sk3.jpg



    ​ ​ ​
    Last edited by Mark Ogden; 06-02-2026, 10:49 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ryan Gallagher
    replied
    Originally posted by Leo Enticknap
    The Goldberg cases in the foreground of the first pic look like they withstood several direct hits from the ayatollah's drones! The red Deluxe box that is only still a box because it's been mummified in packaging tape is a familiar sight from my Egyptian days.
    The back catalog cases are all pretty much in that kind of shape it seems these days. The boxes with the velcro seem to fair a bit better, but the grey boxes without velcro seem to lose their handles almost immediately. Not that anyone should trust those plastic handles for 8 reels! We have 6 flights here and the boxes are my nemesis. Like wrestling a square medicine ball.

    The blue plastic cans seem to be the best at aging responsibly.

    Leave a comment:


  • Frank Cox
    replied
    I used to keep a small crowbar in my projection room for the purpose of opening some of those cases.

    Never quite needed a hammer to close 'em, but I did give some of them a really good slam.

    Especially toward the end, some of those cases (and reels) were in really rough shape.

    Leave a comment:


  • Leo Enticknap
    replied
    The Goldberg cases in the foreground of the first pic look like they withstood several direct hits from the ayatollah's drones! The red Deluxe box that is only still a box because it's been mummified in packaging tape is a familiar sight from my Egyptian days.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ryan Gallagher
    replied
    Meanwhile you can jump in a time machine, as our booth is starting to feel like it probably used to a bit in the glory days of film. Still 3 more in route. 14 prints screening in as many days (with a DCP festival breaking it up slightly, although even one of the prints is for them). Going out with a bang before rennovation closure.

    IMG_7640.jpgIMG_7641.jpg

    Leave a comment:


  • Ed Gordon
    replied
    image.png
    ..........​

    Leave a comment:


  • Frank Cox
    replied
    Saturday's Smile-5-15-2026.jpg
    ..........

    Leave a comment:


  • Jim Cassedy
    replied
    Originally posted by Harold Hallikainen
    <edited> I have seen too many USB connectors fail from constant use.
    And I've destroyed a few by tripping over them. That's why I always thought
    Apple's "mag-safe"™ connectors were a brilliant idea. At some point I discovered
    that you could buy 'magnetic' cables & adapters to fit various phones & tablets,
    and I invested in a good set for most of my devices. I know I've saved both a
    tablet and a blue-tooth speaker from possible destruction using the adapters
    I got when either myself, a guest, or the cat tripped over the the charging cable.

    > Hey Harold- the 1926 house I rented for about a decade here in San Francisco
    had a few areas on the first floor, including the garage and small bathroom, that
    still had two-prong outlets, which were fed by the original knob-and-tube wiring.
    Last edited by Jim Cassedy; 05-13-2026, 10:17 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Harold Hallikainen
    replied
    Our house is old enough that almost all the outlets are two prong. There are GFCI outlets in the kitchen and bathroom, and I THINK the ground pin is connected (I should check that). I think I read somewhere that it is legal to install GFCI outlets without a ground wire if the outlets are labeled as such. They are still effective since the GFCI measures the current difference betewen line and neutral and does not care about current through the safety ground. On charging stuff, especially if it is charged every night (like my phone and watch), I use the wireless charger. I have seen too many USB connectors fail from constant use.

    Leave a comment:


  • Leo Enticknap
    replied
    I don't know if this is something codified or just an informal convention, but when we moved into our current home, there was one outlet in each room that was "flipped" - ground pin at the top. This was to indicate that it was controlled by a light switch on the wall next to the door. The idea is that you plug a stand or desk lamp into this outlet, and can turn it on and off from the wall switch along with the ceiling light/fan.

    I've installed quite a few combined NEMA 5-15 and USB charging outlets around the house. All of us, the cats included (Feliway devices), were charging so many devices all the time, that we were living with a permanent demonstration of what inspired the nickname "wall wart." I even found one 65W USB C outlet charger, for the odd occasion when I need to use my field laptop quickly at the kitchen table. It was a bit pricey, but worth it for the speed advantage.

    Leave a comment:


  • Jim Cassedy
    replied
    I was in a home improvement store the other day and saw these interesting
    electric outlets which had a built in USB charger with self-retracting cables.
    I started thinking about them more when I got home and I looked for more
    info online. They're available from multiple sellers, but I was most amused
    by this badly photoshopped image on e-bay:

    One picture shows (correctly) that the device is
    basically the same size as a standard USA electric outlet.

    USB_Outlet1.jpg

    The 2nd photo in the e-bay listing makes it look HUGE!
    (or maybe this was just a very small bed and nightstand)

    USB_Outlet2.jpg

    You might also notice that in one photo the ground pin is at the
    top, and in 2nd one it's on the bottom. In the USA, I believe the
    electrical code is agnostic about the orientation of the ground
    pin, although in practice, in residences the outlets are usually
    installed with the pin at the bottom, but in most commercial
    installations, the outlets are installed with the ground pin on top,
    which is considered safer, since it is less likely that a foreign
    object falling onto the outlet would short out the two 'hot' prongs.
    Last edited by Jim Cassedy; 05-13-2026, 02:56 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ryan Gallagher
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim Cassedy
    Our Actual "BOOTH MONKEY" !
    Some time around Christmas last year, we found this pair of stuffed monkeys under a seat
    after one of the shows. (It's a 'mama monkey" with a mini monkey clutching onto her back)
    We have assigned seating, but unfortunately the people sitting in the seats near where it was
    found all paid cash, so we couldn't identify them through their credit cards. We've been holding
    on to it since December, and nobody has ever claimed it or inquired about it at Lost And Found.
    . . so, today, we adopted it as our official "booth monkey" We're trying to figure out a name for it.
    How about "Journey" and "Junior". ;-)

    Leave a comment:


  • Leo Enticknap
    replied
    image.png​
    image.png​


    Source - somehow I don't think this contractor will be putting these photos on his LinkedIn page...

    Leave a comment:

Working...