I just changed a battery on an ICMP 2.0. The server had been installed only 3 years. The battery was down to 2.850 and had issued the warning of "low-battery."
Random photos, comics, etc.
Collapse
X
-
-
-
It wasn't here, exactly, but I was standing in line at the till at the grocery store this morning and the fellow next to me had a stroke and collapsed.I've never had one of those.
I know a stroke when I see one so one of the workers brought a chair and we got him off of the floor, and my friend the "Coop cop" called the ambulance.
Not much else you can do in the field, unfortunately, but they were just loading him into the ambulance when I left with my groceries.
No idea who he was. Random old coot, I guess.
I suppose if you're going to have a stroke then it's best to have it where there are other people around.
When I got home I told my wife that the trip to the store was more adventurous than I had planned.Comment
-
I had that happen while I was watching a movie at the local theater.
My wife and I were watching a movie when some guy, behind me, started shouting, "Carol! Carol! Wake up!"
I was a civilian at the time but, since it was a theater where I used to work, I still knew the people who worked there. I put my movie aside and went back to offer assistance. The woman (the man's wife) was sitting there, all stiff and glassy-eyed. She was clearly having some kind of "episode." It only lasted a couple of minutes before she came to, again.
I asked the guy whether his wife was known to have any kind of condition that would cause this. Epilepsy? Narcolepsy? Previous strokes? Was she taking any drugs, prescription or otherwise. I went down the list of all the things that I i could think of which could cause this to happen but the answers were all negative. Not being a doctor but having first aid training from being a lifeguard and from being a security guard in a major hotel, my only guess was that she was having a transient ischemic attack. (TIA) i.e. "mini stroke"
There wasn't much I could do but to check her pulse and all that basic stuff. The woman claimed that she was better and didn't want anything else. I had to plead with her husband, saying that, if this really WAS a mini stroke, it could happen again at any time when you least expect it. If it happens again, she might not wake up, next time. It took some amount of explaining.
Finally, I just said, "Hey! I'm just a good Samaritan...some random guy...but I would feel really guilty if something bad happened to your wife and I could have done something to help." I said, "Please! Let's call an ambulance! If the doctors say that nothing is wrong, you can just go home. Everything will be all right and you can call me stupid." Finally, the guy relented.
I went out to the lobby and found the manager and had him call the ambulance. I waited outside to flag down the ambulance and usher them in to the theater because I was really the only one who knew who the victim was. I gave the ambulance crew her vitals and explained what I saw and why we called the ambulance. The EMT told me that, yes, TIAs can "double up" and the more times it happens the less chance the patient has to survive.
They took the woman and her husband to the hospital and I never did get any report back as to her condition.
I suppose if something bad happened to her, I would have heard so... fingers crossed... I guess everything turned out okay.
That's the last I heard.Comment
-
I had a similar grocery experience to Frank's once at a small neighborhood grocery store. The young girl in line in front of me had some kind of episode and collapsed, probably a seizure from the look of it... I managed to catch her fall slightly to avoid a knock on the head. I stayed until the ambulance arrived, cause I knew the cashier and I were the only two who really witnessed and could relay to paramedics what happened.
Everyone else already checked out happily left without even considering staying.
The grocery put me on the employee discount list for life for my behavior... unfortunately I moved away from that neighborhood and am not near by much anymore.Comment
-
I was going through some ancient (1930 ) "American Cinematographer" magazines online and found
a fascinating article about the Technicolor company, as it existed in Hollywood at that time. I looked
up the address on Google Maps, and I wonder how many people using this gym today realize that
this was once the Technicolor HQ? The article mentions that they had about a dozen cameras at
that time, which were locked up in an earthquake & fireproof vault every night. (In the early days,
Technicolor transported their cameras to & from the studios daily) I wonder if the vault is still there?
The cameras pictured in the article are not the later 3-Strip "Wizard of Oz" ('Process 4' ) cameras,
but look to be the earlier 'Process 2' or "Process 3" cameras which used a single film, plus a pair of
red & green filters and a beam splitter that exposed two 35mm frames (one upside down) at a time.
OldTechnicolorBldg.jpg
There is a part of downtown San Francisco, on lower Golden Gate Avenue, just off Market Street, which was once
known as "film row". 20th Century Fox, Warner Brothers, Paramount, RKO and a couple of smaller studios had
their Northern California distribution offices, screening rooms, and film vaults there. Although they are all gone now,
and that particular part of town has become very seedy, some of the buildings are still there and have icons of film
reels & cameras, etc cast into their plaster & stucco facades. Most of those buildings are now some sort of office
space, but I'm told that a couple of the nitrate film vaults and at least one of the screening rooms is still there,
although not being used for their originally intended purpose. I should get a picture of some of the building fronts
next time I'm in that area. (Although it's in an area I usually avoid, since most of the people you'd encounter on
that street now are either selling or looking to buy drugs or sex, or are 'up to something' of some sort. )
BONUS PICTURE:
TechnicolorP3_Negative.jpg
Technicolor "Process 3" negative. 2 images, (one upside down) exposed using
a beam-splitter plus red & green filters. The neg was used to make the dye
color printing matrices. (picture source/credit: filmcolors.org)Comment
-
Well here's a first world problem and solution...
image.png
Eco friendly bog roll ... yours for the bargain price of $34.99 for a dozen!
This is the kind of thing I'd expect to see in Whole Salary Market in Santa Monica rather than Target in San Bernardino. I can't imagine they sell that many boxes.Comment
-
Not what we were expecting to see on a morning walk around the development...
image.png
image.pngimage.png
He didn't seem the slightest bit bothered by the humans looking at him (from a safe distance). I have seen coyotes in the neighborhood before, but usually from my car when leaving at 4a for an early service call, and they disappear very quickly when they hear or see the car coming. This is the first time I've seen one in the middle of a weekend day, and with lots of people out and about.
I guess this explains why we used to see lots of rabbits and squirrels around the place, but don't anymore. And it's yet another reason why we made the right decision that our cats would be totally indoor kitties.Comment
-
Another very long lasting ICMP battery and lucky escape:
image.png
The projector this ICMP+ is in was installed by us in January 2019. The facility changed hands about a month ago, and the new owner had us back to clear the maintenance backlog. Nothing had been done in the intervening six years. There was no low battery warning after updating the projector's (DP4K-23B) and ICMP's software and firmware to current. The old battery read 3.01 after I pulled it out.
Given the earlier pic and Barco's recommendation of every four years, I wonder if they had an unusually strong batch of batteries at the factory in the fall/winter of 2018-19.Comment
-
Last spring, my aunt died. Her husband (my uncle) passed away four years earlier, with the result that my cousins had to clear out their house totally before it was sold (I won't go into the emotional aspects of that, but they were significant). Among those items was a very large steel box containing family photos going back into the nineteenth century - several generations. I remember seeing it, and its contents, as a child in the 1980s in my grandparents' house, but not knowing what happened to it after that.
A family request came for me to go through, digitize, and distribute its contents within the family (I am a formally trained archivist, and worked as such in a previous life), and so on a visit last Christmas, my mother brought its contents over from England (on a Virgin Atlantic A350 as excess baggage, which makes for an ironic comparison to the photo which follows).
Over the past year, I've been gradually going through the contents of the box as time has allowed. About an hour ago, I scanned this photo, which was either taken or acquired by my maternal grandfather's brother, an Imperial Airways pilot (he flew HP-42s (pictured) and -45s, and then Short Empire flying boats in the 1930s, before enlisting with the RAF in WWII and being killed when the Sunderland he was flying was shot down in 1943):
image.png
This is a 8x6, really dense emulsion paper print (early generation Velox, but appears to be an enlargement print), and so scanned very well.
Note the flagpole just behind the cockpit! Looking at the photo, my immediate reaction was "that is about as aerodynamic as a mounting a cinder block on top of the airframe." This prompted me to do a bit of online digging, which revealed that the flagpole was retractable. On the before takeoff checklist, the "third pilot" (what would later be called a flight engineer) had to crank it into the cabin, furling the flag in the process, and then he (and in the 1930s, it always was a he) was required in the after landing checklist to raise it again as the aircraft taxi-ed to the terminal.Comment
-
Massive sinkhole in England swallows canal boats
image.png
image.png
Disappeared in a mushroom cloud?
Comment
-
Comment