Random photos, comics, etc.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Frank Cox
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 2314
    • Melville Saskatchewan

    #571
    I've read before that machine vision/facial recognition/etc is less accurate with images of people with dark coloured skin.

    Apparently that extends to cats as well.

    Comment

    • Leo Enticknap
      Film God
      • Jan 2020
      • 3572
      • Loma Linda, CA

      #572
      Also, I've lived with cats for most of my life (though admittedly, never a Burmese) and can never remember one wanting to lie stretched out on his or her back like that. On their sides and stomach, all the time; so I'm not that surprised that Apple's AI algorithm thought that there was something weird about that photo.

      image.png​

      "WTF? I thought that only happened to Teslas!"
      Last edited by Leo Enticknap; 06-09-2026, 06:27 PM.

      Comment

      • Marcel Birgelen
        Film God
        • Jan 2020
        • 3619
        • Maastricht, NL

        #573
        Apparently, BMW recalled a few million cars already during the last years, because a critical element in the EGR system was made out of plastic and has the tendency to burn trough and leak highly flammable diesel gasses into your engine compartment...

        Not saying this was the problem here, but BMW most definitely has a burning car problem. It reminds me of another recent discussion about another Geman manufacturer going all-Chinese by replacing parts formerly made out of stainless steel with cheap plastic...

        But I actually came here to post he following video:



        To me, it looks like a cool place to visit, but also feels like a very hard way of making some cash... A million in debt, 500K a year in revenue, most of which going linea recta to the studios... taking home only $35K each... running on an aging projector, with apparently little to no budget to replace it when it goes awry. I certainly hope they make it work though.

        Comment

        • Leo Enticknap
          Film God
          • Jan 2020
          • 3572
          • Loma Linda, CA

          #574
          The burning BMW had been set alight by an arsonist. This photo was to illustrate a politically contentious news story, so I didn't post the actual context. The spoof caption (inspired by the couple watching the conflagration passively, seemingly unconcerned and behaving as if this is an everyday occurrence) was because there have been frequent reports (on this side of the pond, at any rate) of thermal runaway in Tesla battery packs causing the result you see above.

          Comment

          • Leo Enticknap
            Film God
            • Jan 2020
            • 3572
            • Loma Linda, CA

            #575
            image.png​

            Radioactive toothpaste, circa 1920s.

            Comment

            • Harold Hallikainen
              Film God
              • Jan 2020
              • 1072
              • Tucson AZ

              #576
              Back then radium was big! It was used in all sorts of stuff including makeup. There is a book and a movie called Radium Girls. My wife's mother was a radium girl, painting clock faces

              Comment

              • Marcel Birgelen
                Film God
                • Jan 2020
                • 3619
                • Maastricht, NL

                #577
                Originally posted by Leo Enticknap
                The burning BMW had been set alight by an arsonist. This photo was to illustrate a politically contentious news story, so I didn't post the actual context. The spoof caption (inspired by the couple watching the conflagration passively, seemingly unconcerned and behaving as if this is an everyday occurrence) was because there have been frequent reports (on this side of the pond, at any rate) of thermal runaway in Tesla battery packs causing the result you see above.
                Yeah, it was clear to me it was a picture from the Belfast protests, so the source of the fire probably was something like a Molotov cocktail. Still, BMW really DOES have a pretty big car fire issue at their hands right now though. And while I'm not the biggest fan of Tesla (I have driven one myself), burning cars obviously aren't a singular Tesla issue, although I still attribute many of the fire issues to Tesla's horrible build quality and lack of care in their designs.

                Having survived a battery fire twice now (not car related), I'm quite aware of any big-time energy storage causing a major potential fire hazard... That's also why I never would park an electric vehicle (Tesla or not) inside my garage.

                Comment

                • Mark Ogden
                  Pro Film Handler
                  • Jan 2020
                  • 178
                  • Little Falls, NJ

                  #578
                  I remember seeing The Three Stooges Cannibal Holocaust on a double bill with Have Rocket Will Travel back in, it must have been, 1960? Surprised to see it's back in theaters. What they did to that poor actress was terrible.


                  IMG_4390.jpg

                  Comment

                  • Tim Reed
                    Film Handler
                    • May 2020
                    • 67
                    • Van Wert, Ohio, USA

                    #579
                    Sorry if this catches you before you eat...

                    AWFUL lamp paint job.jpg

                    Comment

                    • Marcel Birgelen
                      Film God
                      • Jan 2020
                      • 3619
                      • Maastricht, NL

                      #580
                      That lamp sure has some interesting shades...

                      Comment

                      • Jim Cassedy
                        Film God
                        • Jan 2020
                        • 1450
                        • San Francisco

                        #581
                        ShrodingerStrait.jpg
                        . . . . . . . . . .

                        Comment

                        • Leo Enticknap
                          Film God
                          • Jan 2020
                          • 3572
                          • Loma Linda, CA

                          #582
                          Well I made the wrong call this evening:

                          image.png​

                          End of a very long day doing a Barco mk. II light engine upgrade, and hit the road from the service call just as the USA World Cup match was starting. My mindset was of wanting to get home while the match was still going on, because of the likelihood that an army of drunk drivers would emerge from the sports bars and onto the freeways as soon as it ended.

                          About 20 minutes into the journey, there was a sudden slowdown ahead on the freeway, and as I braked, I noticed a truck in my rear view mirror approaching dangerously fast. It looked to me like the driver was holding something in front of his face with one hand. I heard the squeal of brakes locking up just a second or two too late, and then bang ding ow (though thankfully the ow was limited to a slightly sore shoulder where the seatbelt locked up and gripped it).

                          We both pulled over to the shoulder, and just before he got out to exchange details, I could hear a screaming match between the two occupants of the vehicle that hit me. Having lived in SoCal for 14 years, I've picked up just enough Spanish to get the gist: his wife was opining that it isn't the brightest idea to be watching a soccer match on your phone while trying to drive a truck at the same time.

                          Sigh. Now for another fun packed day dealing with the insurer, collision shop and rental agency.

                          Comment

                          • Frank Cox
                            Film God
                            • Jan 2020
                            • 2314
                            • Melville Saskatchewan

                            #583
                            3880013.jpg
                            ...........

                            Comment

                            • Ryan Gallagher
                              Film God
                              • Nov 2022
                              • 2855
                              • Austin, Texas, USA

                              #584
                              Originally posted by Leo Enticknap
                              Well I made the wrong call this evening:
                              Sorry world cup fever caught you out Leo (via someone else). Glad you are okay!

                              Comment

                              • Ed Gordon
                                Pro Film Handler
                                • Jan 2020
                                • 365
                                • Seattle, WA, USA

                                #585
                                image.png

                                He must be off to see a Scorsese movie. Nolan's latest is under three hours....

                                The official runtime for Christopher Nolan's The Odyssey is 2 hours and 52 minutes (172 minutes). This duration was strictly enforced due to the physical limitations of IMAX 70mm film platters, which cannot hold prints longer than three hours without requiring costly projection system upgrades. Although Nolan originally intended to extend the film beyond the three-hour mark, his mentor advised him against it, making this runtime slightly shorter than his previous epic, Oppenheimer.
                                ​​

                                Comment

                                Working...