The Dispatcher
by Frank Cox
In the godforsaken hour where the moon's silver tongue kisses the ink-black sky, I found myself ensconced in the belly of the beast - the precinct headquarters. A place where the fetid odour of stale coffee, old cigarette smoke and sweat mingled like the worst kind of dance between sworn enemies. I had been coerced into a stint as a night owl, a dispatcher for the city's finest. A lowly task for a man who'd faced down the grim reaper more times than a cat has lives.
The worn-out desk, a battle-scarred relic of a bygone era, was my temporary throne. A beat-up, worn-out telephone stood in front of me, its once sleek black body now a battle-worn shell, scratched and dented from years of use. The grubby receiver hung limp and lifeless on its cradle, a conduit for the cries of the desperate and the whispers of the guilty.
Nestled beside the telephone, a two-way radio hummed a constant low-level drone, a symphony of sirens, police chatter, and the wails of the city's lost souls. It was a beast of a machine, its steel casing battered and scarred from countless falls and rough handling. A thick black cord protruded from the rear of the radio set, nailed to the wall and rising through a hole in the ceiling to a large antenna on the roof.
The first call came in, the harsh jangle of the bell followed by a woman's voice trembling with fear. A mugger in a dark alley, a common enough tune being played in this town. I dispatched a patrol car, a silver bullet hurtling into the night, chasing shadows that danced on the edge of reality.
The hours stretched on like a long, drawn-out funeral dirge, each tick of the clock a dagger to the heart. The radio hissed and crackled with reports of domestic disputes, car accidents, and the occasional gunshot. Each call a piece of the city's grim tapestry, a thread woven from the fabric of human folly.
The phone rang with a weary regularity, its mournful toll echoing through the grungy room. With each ring, my heart sank a little deeper, as I braced myself for the next call, another plea for help from the city's beleaguered citizens.
Break-ins, muggings, vandalism, assaults, the calls came in with a relentless rhythm. A woman's screams, the cries of a child, the distant wail of a siren. Each one was a new challenge, a new battle to be fought, another puzzle to be solved. I would send a car to each location, answering cries for aid and racing through the city's grimy streets, the sound of their sirens shrieking like banshees into the night.
The unending torrent of desperate calls, anguish and pain kept the phone ringing like a fire alarm. A symphony of sorrow, the endless flood of misery and despair constantly threatened to overwhelm the street cops. The city is just too big, too corrupt, too broken.
The phone rang yet again. The voice on the other end frantic, desperate. A woman, her voice raw with terror, crying so hard I couldn't understand what she was trying to tell me. I asked her to slow down, to take a deep breath.
"Any unit proceed to 134 Maple Street, apartment 4B. Report of a break-in in progress!" I barked into the radio, my voice sharp and commanding.
"Police are on the way, ma'am," I said, a phrase I had repeated countless times that night.
But then, a sudden realization struck me like a bolt of lightning. The address was just down the alley from the precinct, a mere stone's throw away. I couldn't sit idle, couldn't wait for the patrol car to arrive. The woman was in danger, and I was the only one who could get to her in time.
I leapt from my chair and snatched my coat from the hook, racing to the back of the room. I thrust the door open and barged through, the cold night air a shock to my system. I took off down the alley like a greyhound, my legs eating up the distance between the precinct and the woman's apartment.
As I sprinted through the alley my footsteps echoed into the otherwise quiet night. The alley was a maze of trash and garbage, a stinking cesspool that reeked of decay.
The apartment building loomed before me, a stark and foreboding silhouette against the night sky. I darted up the stairs, my heart pounding in my chest. I could hear the woman's desperate cries, growing louder with each step.
I reached the final step, my gun at the ready, and smashed my way through the door. With my boots solidly on the floor, I assessed the scene. The woman was there, her eyes wide with fear, threadbare dress hanging limply and her body shaking with sobs. The apartment was a mess, wrecked furniture littering the floor, shattered glass glinting in the dim light. And there, in the corner, a man, his eyes wild with madness, a knife clenched tightly in his hand.
A dance of death began, a waltz of violence and destruction where every step could be the last. But I was no stranger to this dance, and I led the way.
I drew a bead with my gun and ordered the man to drop the knife. He lunged at me, the blade flashing in the dim light.
I yanked the trigger and a heavy slug left the barrel with a roar that shook the walls. A stink of gunpowder filled the room.
The man staggered, a look of shock on his face, but he didn't go down. He charged at me once more.
I fired again, another loud blast that echoed through the small apartment. The man coughed once, looked down, dropped the knife and fell to the floor, his life draining away in a pool of crimson on the tattered linoleum.
I stood there for a time holding the gun loosely in my hand, the weight of the moment settling upon me. I had taken a life, had ended another's struggle, and it was a burden I would carry with me always. I turned to the woman, my voice soft and gentle.
"You're safe, ma'am. Police are on their way right now."
She nodded, tears running down her face, her body still shaking with fear. I offered her a small smile, a reassuring gesture that she would be okay.
I left the apartment, my mind a whirl of thoughts and emotions. I had done what I had to do, had protected a life and ended another. It was the nature of my job, the life I had chosen, but it didn't make it any easier. I made my way back to the precinct, the weight of the night pressing down on me.
As I sat at my desk with its broken-down telephone and dilapidated radio set, I had the feeling that I was on a path that had no end, a warrior in a world gone mad.
As the sun began to rise, painting the sky with the softest of pinks and golds, the streets were still dark. But the promise of a new day was in the air.
by Frank Cox
In the godforsaken hour where the moon's silver tongue kisses the ink-black sky, I found myself ensconced in the belly of the beast - the precinct headquarters. A place where the fetid odour of stale coffee, old cigarette smoke and sweat mingled like the worst kind of dance between sworn enemies. I had been coerced into a stint as a night owl, a dispatcher for the city's finest. A lowly task for a man who'd faced down the grim reaper more times than a cat has lives.
The worn-out desk, a battle-scarred relic of a bygone era, was my temporary throne. A beat-up, worn-out telephone stood in front of me, its once sleek black body now a battle-worn shell, scratched and dented from years of use. The grubby receiver hung limp and lifeless on its cradle, a conduit for the cries of the desperate and the whispers of the guilty.
Nestled beside the telephone, a two-way radio hummed a constant low-level drone, a symphony of sirens, police chatter, and the wails of the city's lost souls. It was a beast of a machine, its steel casing battered and scarred from countless falls and rough handling. A thick black cord protruded from the rear of the radio set, nailed to the wall and rising through a hole in the ceiling to a large antenna on the roof.
The first call came in, the harsh jangle of the bell followed by a woman's voice trembling with fear. A mugger in a dark alley, a common enough tune being played in this town. I dispatched a patrol car, a silver bullet hurtling into the night, chasing shadows that danced on the edge of reality.
The hours stretched on like a long, drawn-out funeral dirge, each tick of the clock a dagger to the heart. The radio hissed and crackled with reports of domestic disputes, car accidents, and the occasional gunshot. Each call a piece of the city's grim tapestry, a thread woven from the fabric of human folly.
The phone rang with a weary regularity, its mournful toll echoing through the grungy room. With each ring, my heart sank a little deeper, as I braced myself for the next call, another plea for help from the city's beleaguered citizens.
Break-ins, muggings, vandalism, assaults, the calls came in with a relentless rhythm. A woman's screams, the cries of a child, the distant wail of a siren. Each one was a new challenge, a new battle to be fought, another puzzle to be solved. I would send a car to each location, answering cries for aid and racing through the city's grimy streets, the sound of their sirens shrieking like banshees into the night.
The unending torrent of desperate calls, anguish and pain kept the phone ringing like a fire alarm. A symphony of sorrow, the endless flood of misery and despair constantly threatened to overwhelm the street cops. The city is just too big, too corrupt, too broken.
The phone rang yet again. The voice on the other end frantic, desperate. A woman, her voice raw with terror, crying so hard I couldn't understand what she was trying to tell me. I asked her to slow down, to take a deep breath.
"Any unit proceed to 134 Maple Street, apartment 4B. Report of a break-in in progress!" I barked into the radio, my voice sharp and commanding.
"Police are on the way, ma'am," I said, a phrase I had repeated countless times that night.
But then, a sudden realization struck me like a bolt of lightning. The address was just down the alley from the precinct, a mere stone's throw away. I couldn't sit idle, couldn't wait for the patrol car to arrive. The woman was in danger, and I was the only one who could get to her in time.
I leapt from my chair and snatched my coat from the hook, racing to the back of the room. I thrust the door open and barged through, the cold night air a shock to my system. I took off down the alley like a greyhound, my legs eating up the distance between the precinct and the woman's apartment.
As I sprinted through the alley my footsteps echoed into the otherwise quiet night. The alley was a maze of trash and garbage, a stinking cesspool that reeked of decay.
The apartment building loomed before me, a stark and foreboding silhouette against the night sky. I darted up the stairs, my heart pounding in my chest. I could hear the woman's desperate cries, growing louder with each step.
I reached the final step, my gun at the ready, and smashed my way through the door. With my boots solidly on the floor, I assessed the scene. The woman was there, her eyes wide with fear, threadbare dress hanging limply and her body shaking with sobs. The apartment was a mess, wrecked furniture littering the floor, shattered glass glinting in the dim light. And there, in the corner, a man, his eyes wild with madness, a knife clenched tightly in his hand.
A dance of death began, a waltz of violence and destruction where every step could be the last. But I was no stranger to this dance, and I led the way.
I drew a bead with my gun and ordered the man to drop the knife. He lunged at me, the blade flashing in the dim light.
I yanked the trigger and a heavy slug left the barrel with a roar that shook the walls. A stink of gunpowder filled the room.
The man staggered, a look of shock on his face, but he didn't go down. He charged at me once more.
I fired again, another loud blast that echoed through the small apartment. The man coughed once, looked down, dropped the knife and fell to the floor, his life draining away in a pool of crimson on the tattered linoleum.
I stood there for a time holding the gun loosely in my hand, the weight of the moment settling upon me. I had taken a life, had ended another's struggle, and it was a burden I would carry with me always. I turned to the woman, my voice soft and gentle.
"You're safe, ma'am. Police are on their way right now."
She nodded, tears running down her face, her body still shaking with fear. I offered her a small smile, a reassuring gesture that she would be okay.
I left the apartment, my mind a whirl of thoughts and emotions. I had done what I had to do, had protected a life and ended another. It was the nature of my job, the life I had chosen, but it didn't make it any easier. I made my way back to the precinct, the weight of the night pressing down on me.
As I sat at my desk with its broken-down telephone and dilapidated radio set, I had the feeling that I was on a path that had no end, a warrior in a world gone mad.
As the sun began to rise, painting the sky with the softest of pinks and golds, the streets were still dark. But the promise of a new day was in the air.
Comment